U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 04:54 PM

1,867 posts, read 3,905,279 times

Advertisements

How is it to live in White Plains? Is it congested with traffic? Are the people nice and are there things to do? How are the schools and the taxes. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 06:03 AM

295 posts, read 1,446,886 times
Default White plains

I'm no expert... I've only recently moved there, but I really like White Plains.

Traffic is not too bad (compared to Manhattan, Bronx & Queens). There are many highways that can get you there: so at least there is variety. In the city itself...I've never gotten stuck.

There is a huge variety of everything...types of people: in terms of ethnic diversity & economic diversity, types of stores, ect.

If you are interested...go up and check it out. There is nothing better than seeing a place for yourself (what is no traffic for me may be lots for you, ect). You can do a search online for events.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:32 AM

701 posts, read 3,159,703 times
Hard to classify the traffic because it partially depends where in White Plains. If you are talking about the actual city center, traffic can be annoying, but it's nothing compared to New York City. (Might take you a whole 10 minutes to cross from 1 side of the city center, to the other).
The outlying "suburban" part of White Plains is more typical of the entire county.

In terms of the rest of your question, it's hard to put White Plains into a single box. As I mentioned, White Plains has a downtown city area, and has more outlying suburban portions. Both parts have everything from lower-income housing units, to multi-million dollar apartments and houses. It's a very diverse city, with different types of neighborhoods within the city.

Things to do--- No shortage. It's in the center of the county, so you really have easy road access to the entire county. Within White Plains itself, there are plenty of restaurants, parks, movie theater, performing arts, etc.

The schools are somewhat a question mark. Many of the more affluent people in White Plains choose to send their kids to private school. On the other hand, that is not a universal decision. Considering the schools economic and ethnic diversity, it really is not considered a bad school district, especially not at the elementary school level. That said, it entirely lacks the prestige of Westchester's more elite school districts.

Taxes are pretty good for Westchester. That's a result of the city's commercial base. I wouldn't say property taxes are low, but they are a lot lower than most other parts of Westchester.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:57 AM

Wow, thanks so much for the info. It actually sounds perfect for me. I could care less about "elite Westchester schools" as I really like being in an economically and ethically diverse place. As far as traffic, that sounds like a dream having grown up in Manhattan LOL.

On housing values: I saw a new 2007 house, 1700 square feet, 3 bedrooms, 2.5 baths, hardwood floors and a decent sized yard listed for $399,000. I will take a look at the area this weekend as I have no idea where it is. So without having the location, does that sound like a decent/average price, a real DEAL or high. I doubt its considered high but want to know if the deals will get better or does this seem like bottom price.

Also, how's the rental market in WP?? I may need to rent the house out at first as my daughter is still in nursery school down in the city. Any idea what I could get for the above described house as an example?

Anyone know about child care up there?

Thanks so much!!

Old 11-25-2008, 10:01 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,187,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
How is it to live in White Plains? Is it congested with traffic? Are the people nice and are there things to do? How are the schools and the taxes. Thanks!
It's not a place for you. Please return to NYC and to our own forum. We need you in NYC. Thank you.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
It's not a place for you. Please return to NYC and to our own forum. We need you in NYC. Thank you.
Bendito..bless your heart Miles .

Old 11-25-2008, 11:02 AM

10,918 posts, read 29,370,673 times
That does seem like a good deal on a house, quelinda, since most houses in that price range are much smaller/older in White Plains.

As for rental price, that depends upon a couple of factors, paramount among them being proximity to transportation for NYC commuters. Off the top of my head, not being an agent, but I'd expect to pay no less than about $2500-$2750 for a house that you described, depending upon location and whether or not it has a garage. One can certainly pay more in White Plains, as there are rentals in the $10-12k range for luxury properties, and even for houses in this size range, one can pay more than $3k.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:37 PM

701 posts, read 3,159,703 times
Quelinda, that price seems low even for White Plains. Be careful, it could be in a bad neighborhood. It could also be Greenburgh schools, which should be avoided. Looking at real estate websites, I don't see anything like the listing you described -- At $399K, I see very tiny, 1-bathroom homes. For most 3-bedroom, 2 bath homes, with at least 1500 square feet, in half decent shape, I expect you would still have to pay over $450k, and probably over $500k.

As to child care, there are plenty of options in various price ranges. But overall, it's fairly expensive.

Old 11-25-2008, 04:30 PM

I assure you that I did see that exact listing (on weichert.com), though I would agree its probably in a "bad" area for the price. Then again in Manhattan "good" areas are 2 blocks from projects or sometimes doormen buildings are right across the street from them so I'd have to see for myself. Well its no surprise the broker said the house is under contract.

Old 11-25-2008, 04:39 PM

490 posts, read 1,710,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
Wow, thanks so much for the info. It actually sounds perfect for me. I could care less about "elite Westchester schools" as I really like being in an economically and ethically diverse place. As far as traffic, that sounds like a dream having grown up in Manhattan LOL.

On housing values: I saw a new 2007 house, 1700 square feet, 3 bedrooms, 2.5 baths, hardwood floors and a decent sized yard listed for $399,000. I will take a look at the area this weekend as I have no idea where it is. So without having the location, does that sound like a decent/average price, a real DEAL or high. I doubt its considered high but want to know if the deals will get better or does this seem like bottom price.

Also, how's the rental market in WP?? I may need to rent the house out at first as my daughter is still in nursery school down in the city. Any idea what I could get for the above described house as an example?

Anyone know about child care up there?

Thanks so much!!
_____

WP is an amazing small city. It has everything you need and it is diverse. Primary schools are great but it may deteriorate a bit by middle school-I think part of the problem is kids "hanging" too much at the mall etc.

I think the price of the house is wrong. Not even in Greenburgh you can find a large newer home for that price near WP. If you find out I am wrong this weekend, let me know-I'd like to find out prices are getting that good as I am planning to move back there next year.

I always used private childcare. There was an office that connected me with "in house" caregivers. Prices ranged between 90-250/week. There is also a YMCA, which I find pricey for being a community service. Starting in Kindergarden, WP offers an afterschool program at all the primary schools which is priced very fairly. They keep your child until 6 pm as long as it is a full day of school.

The rental market in WPs is excellent if you have something to rent. Rents are expensive but people seem to be willing to pay a premium to live there. I'd imagine you'd get 2500-3000 per month for a newer house in a good area, if not more.

Best luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>