U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-25-2008, 09:47 AM
 
39 posts, read 203,300 times
Reputation: 31

Advertisements

I'm currently renting in the village of Scarsdale and am looking to buy a home within the next 6 months. My kids are still preschool age, but I'm hoping to buy and stay until they graduate high school. I'm certainly impressed by the school district here, but haven't found a perfect house yet. I was considering expanding my search to Larchmont/Mamaroneck and just want to check in here to get generally impressions on how the two high schools compare. Obviously a lot will change in 10 years, but since I'm new to the area I don't really know much to base my decision on. Anything I should know about differences in these two districts?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-25-2008, 12:33 PM
 
Location: Scarsdale, NY
2,775 posts, read 11,068,154 times
Reputation: 801
I go to Scarsdale HS and I love it. I can't imagine a better school system to be in. Mamaroneck is also a good school. I'd say we're about even, Scarsdale's probably better... We're basically rivals in just about everything.

If I had kids and they were to grow up in one of the two, I'd go with Scarsdale.

Our average 2007 SAT scores were about 150 points higher than Mamaroneck's. But there's always more to a school than SAT scores.

Last edited by Futcha; 11-25-2008 at 12:42 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2008, 05:38 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC & New York
10,918 posts, read 28,843,613 times
Reputation: 7106
The districts are on par with one another, overall, with an edge in raw academic performance and enrichment going to Scarsdale. What is important to note in Mamaroneck, is that the elementary schools are good, but Chatsworth and Murray are the better performers of the four in Mamaroneck Union Free.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2009, 07:33 PM
 
7 posts, read 17,571 times
Reputation: 11
The High Schools are very much on par.

Mamaroneck is a much more diverse high school, with a large hispanic population. There are very clearly defined working class neighborhoods in Mamaroneck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
The districts are on par with one another, overall, with an edge in raw academic performance and enrichment going to Scarsdale. What is important to note in Mamaroneck, is that the elementary schools are good, but Chatsworth and Murray are the better performers of the four in Mamaroneck Union Free.
Central elementary school is also very good. Mamaroneck Avenue severely lags behind the other 3; at Mamaroneck Avenue a large percentage of children come from newly immigrated families and their academic achievment lags behind through High School
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2009, 09:38 AM
 
Location: East Millcreek
2,526 posts, read 6,172,733 times
Reputation: 2984
As others have said, schools similar except for Mamnk immigrant population. This dilutes average performance, skews statistics and misleads those basing their conclusions on all the published info in magazines, school profile lists, etc. The situation is similar to the Horace Greeley (Chappaqua) vs Fox Lane (Mt Kisco, Bedford, Pound Ridge) story. The kids of affluent, well educated parents will do well in either place. If you're an immigrant with english issues the odds are against you. And, despite what every Scarsdale family would have you believe, while almost every kid in Scarsdale does go someplace, most don't actually end up at in the Ivy League. They just make themselves sick trying to get there.

Conclusion: Make your decision based on where you and your kids would feel more comfortable socially. Much has been posted on respective pros/cons of these towns, cultural generalizations, etc. Up close they're very different.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2009, 04:19 PM
 
148 posts, read 810,276 times
Reputation: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futcha View Post
I go to Scarsdale HS and I love it. I can't imagine a better school system to be in. Mamaroneck is also a good school. I'd say we're about even, Scarsdale's probably better... We're basically rivals in just about everything.

If I had kids and they were to grow up in one of the two, I'd go with Scarsdale.

Our average 2007 SAT scores were about 150 points higher than Mamaroneck's. But there's always more to a school than SAT scores.
There is certainly a lot more to schools than SAT scores, Mamaroneck has a more economically diverse community than Scarsdale. This makes a difference, wealthier people are more likely to afford tutors to prep their kids. Mamaroneck's average SAT scores are good despite their diverse population, it will be much higher and perhaps even be higher than Scarsdale if the diversity factor is ignored.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2009, 04:24 PM
 
148 posts, read 810,276 times
Reputation: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theige View Post
The High Schools are very much on par.

Mamaroneck is a much more diverse high school, with a large hispanic population. There are very clearly defined working class neighborhoods in Mamaroneck.
There are also clearly defined working class neighborhoods in Scarsdale and other places like Rye for example. Bronxville is perhaps one village that does not have such neighborhoods.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2009, 04:26 PM
 
148 posts, read 810,276 times
Reputation: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
As others have said, schools similar except for Mamnk immigrant population. This dilutes average performance, skews statistics and misleads those basing their conclusions on all the published info in magazines, school profile lists, etc. The situation is similar to the Horace Greeley (Chappaqua) vs Fox Lane (Mt Kisco, Bedford, Pound Ridge) story. The kids of affluent, well educated parents will do well in either place. If you're an immigrant with english issues the odds are against you. And, despite what every Scarsdale family would have you believe, while almost every kid in Scarsdale does go someplace, most don't actually end up at in the Ivy League. They just make themselves sick trying to get there.

Conclusion: Make your decision based on where you and your kids would feel more comfortable socially. Much has been posted on respective pros/cons of these towns, cultural generalizations, etc. Up close they're very different.
well said.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2009, 08:20 AM
 
2,406 posts, read 5,662,707 times
Reputation: 2944
Go with Mamaroneck. Most parents choose Scarsdale because the they think it's a one way ticket to the Ivy League. It's not, nor is any school district. Plenty of Scarsdale grads end up in "B" and "C" colleges because they just happen not to be academic and/or they don't work hard.

While Scarsdale is a pressure cooker, Mamaroneck is not because of it incredible economic diversity. In the same class you will have a child of an investment banker, a cop and a recent Mexican immigrant.

The SAT stat is meaningless. Scarsdale will always have the highest SAT scores in the county because just about every Scarsdale parent is a college grad, and the parents have chosen Scarsdale because it is the "best" district. In Mamaroneck that is far from the case.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2009, 02:05 PM
 
2,312 posts, read 7,072,703 times
Reputation: 900
Plenty of really smart, hardworking kids in great schools wind up in B and C colleges because college admissions are shockingly competitive now.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top