U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 03:51 PM

32 posts, read 184,820 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to Westchester with my dog, or I was until I found out that I would be increasing his chance of getting lyme 300x (according to New York Incidence by County | Lyme Disease Insights Blog)

I am assuming, though, that in more urbanized/suburbanized areas of the county, the risk must be considerably less. The two communities I was interested in are Tarrytown and Mt. Kisco. Are they know to have significant problems with ticks/lyme, or are these horrific figures reflecting more rural/forested areas? Actually, I haven't visited either town yet, so I am also wondering whether they even qualify as urbanized or if they are pretty green. I never thought I would be trying to avoid green, but my dog's health (and my own) are more important. Thanks for any insight.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 05:37 PM

7,079 posts, read 36,791,316 times
Lyme disease-bearing ticks are all over the Northeast US. Actually they're all over the US. And Northern Europe. No matter where you are in the Northeast you need to do a DAILY tick check (including IN the ears and between the toes). Very, very common.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:29 PM

1,316 posts, read 4,960,085 times
Ticks are mostly spread by mice, which get everywhere. To a far lesser degree, they are carried by deer--which you'll find pretty much all over Westchester, even in the 'urbanized' areas. We're out in the woods and have gazillions of deer on our property, but ever since we started spraying the property a few years ago we have not found a single tick. (I do hate spraying anything on our land, but this is our one poison).

Old 12-07-2008, 05:31 AM

Here's a very helpful CDC website page: they have pictures of the ticks and an illustration of the transmission cycle: DVBID: Transmission | CDC Lyme Disease

Old 12-08-2008, 07:28 AM

10,630 posts, read 17,940,076 times
Also make sure you're looking at the "cases per 100,000" number rather than the overall # of cases, considering Westchester is more densely populated than the other counties listed.

And yes, you're at risk all over the Northeast for Lyme's. As for Mt Kisco, I grew up there and got Lyme's Disease in the '80s (sucessfully caught and treated early)

If you are that concerned for your dog, why not look into the vaccine? You can also look into K-9 Advantix, which repels and kills fleas and ticks (monthly application)... the other topicals only kill ticks AFTER they bite.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:51 AM

It's LYME disease, not Lyme's disease.

Named for Lyme, Ct, where Dr. Steere, who was the first person to describe the syndrome and trace it to the ticks, found it.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:29 PM

151 posts, read 582,048 times
Good Catch "V"

Yes to all the above, but be careful with Vaccination for Lyme. You might be better off just having the dog check for Lyme if he/she gets bit. My little Yorkie gets checked a couple of times a year, but only got bit once. K-9 Advantix is a great preventative treatment.

Old 12-09-2008, 05:28 AM

The only thing that REALLY helps is doing a DAILY check of your dog, from head to toe (including between the toes).

Once the tick attaches (it bites and stays, so it's hard to say a dog was 'bitten') the probability of transmitting either Lyme disease OR Ehrlichiosis (another serious illness, caused by an organism that lives INSIDE the cells of the dog - and people, too!) increase. Thus, the longer the tick is attached, the higher the likelihood of disease. So checking your dog is the best way to go.

Personally, I don't like Advantix. Too many adverse reactions. Frontline does a good job of killing ticks within 24h of attachment, but without the adverse reactions that are more common with Advantix.

Old 12-12-2008, 05:51 PM

933 posts, read 2,432,001 times
I might be wrong, but I think the ticks are worse in eastern Westchester, like Rye/Mamaroneck, which are on the water. I almost moved to Mamaroneck until I took note of all the mosquitoes around the building. I was told that it was tick infested as well. The thing about your dog getting ticks is that you are at great risk when he brings them into the house. I hope living in Westchester is worth it to you. I don't think other areas are this bad. I've lived in Westchester for 3 years and can't wait to leave.

Old 12-12-2008, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doghead View Post
I might be wrong, but I think the ticks are worse in eastern Westchester, like Rye/Mamaroneck, which are on the water. I almost moved to Mamaroneck until I took note of all the mosquitoes around the building. I was told that it was tick infested as well. The thing about your dog getting ticks is that you are at great risk when he brings them into the house. I hope living in Westchester is worth it to you. I don't think other areas are this bad. I've lived in Westchester for 3 years and can't wait to leave.
No, it's pretty much the same all over Westchester and all the way through New England and all the Eastern states. Lyme disease is ALL OVER the US. And don't forget ehrlichiosis, which is also spread by ticks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County