Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2008, 12:51 AM

10 posts, read 62,773 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to New York from San Francisco. My husband will be working in Tarrytown, and I will be traveling into Manhattan frequently. We would like to be no more than 30 minutes away from Manhattan, and my husband does not want a commute more than 30 minutes. We would like to rent a house with a minimum of 3 bedrooms, 2.5 baths to accomadate our college-aged children. We would like a home in very good condition with a recently remodeled kitchen and a yard for our dog.

I would like to be able to walk to the train station, grocery market, a few cafes, and parks for the dog. It would be great to have some beautiful walking paths. We want to be in a friendly town where we could get to know people (other than through our children since they are off at school), volunteer, and be somewhat involved in the community life. Coming from SF, we would prefer to be in a liberal community. Good produce and restaurants are also important. The quality of the school system is not a factor at all.

Our budget would be around $6500. What towns do you think would satisfy these (or as many of these) requirements? Is this budget sufficient?

Thanks so much in advance for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 05:10 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,940,360 times
Your 30 minute limit distance from Manhattan is a problem. If you'll stretch that a bit, you'll have many more (and better) options. Ardsley, Pleasantville, come to mind. But they're a bit more than 30 minutes from Manhattan. Pelham is nearer Manhattan but the rental opportunities are likely very limited there.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:16 AM

701 posts, read 3,325,529 times
As Viralmd stated, most Westchester towns are a bit more than a 30 minute train ride into Grand Central. If you're driving into Manhattan, it depends on whether its rush hour or not. For example, driving from White Plains into midtown Manhattan, can be around 30 minutes during a traffic-free time, but can be well over an hour during rush hour.

You seem to also really like walking towns. For the most part, Westchester is a driving suburb. Still, most of the train towns have a small to medium sized commercial district built around the train station, so if you live close enough to the train station, you will have a walking village.

Pleasantville came to mind for me as well. About a 15 minute drive to Tarrytown, but about a 50 minute train ride into Grand Central. Moreso a walking town than most of Westchester, with several decent restaurants, and an arthouse movie theater.

You can also focus on the rivertowns, including Tarrytown itself. Dobbs Ferry has a fair size walking commercial district. Just minutes from Tarrytown, and the train to Grand Central is 35-45 minutes (depending if local or express). Along similar lines, Irvington is the next train stop, slightly more affluent than Dobbs Ferry. Overall, these river towns have a reputation of being a bit more progressive and artsy. Moving north, you have Briarcliff and Croton as pretty desirable areas. Croton is starting to get a bit far from Manhattan, but it has 45 minute express trains. It has a fair commercial district, but a very local flavor, an active and welcoming community, and it has plenty of parks and walking trails.

Flipping to the other size of the county, Larchmont is a pretty town, with a fairly vibrant downtown area, parks, etc. Train ride is 30-40 minutes to Grand Central, about a 15-20 minute drive to Tarrytown. Along similar lines, the next village north in Mamaroneck, which is slightly less affluent. It has a fair sized commercial district, including restaurants, movie theater, delis, and shops.

I don't know the rental market well, but your budget sounds sufficient. With current mortgage rates, and it definitely being a buyers market, if you think you will be around for more than 3 or 4 years, it could be worth buying.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:32 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
Your rental budget is in line with some good areas for a house in Westchester. Irvington would also be a consideration, as it's directly on the Hudson and is close to Tarrytown. In Sleepy Hollow, I would also suggest the Philipse Manor area that is close to the train station. Edgemont (Scarsdale/Hartsdale zip codes, but not in either town), and the nicer parts of New Rochelle, away from the downtown, would also be areas that I would consider, especially since it's feasible to get to Tarrytown without encountering much traffic during rush hour from these areas.

Many Westchester areas do not have a huge supply of single family homes for rent, but there are a good number in similar areas, so looking in multiple similar areas can help you to find something you'd like.

EDIT: I would also suggest the Hastings area along the Hudson, in line with other river areas that are in good proximity to Tarrytown and a reasonable distance from the city.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:17 PM

295 posts, read 1,505,354 times
Default river towns

I agree with the above.

Try the "river towns": those along the Hudson. They seem to fit those criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County