Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2008, 03:09 PM

9 posts, read 57,165 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me something about Larchmont Manor...what makes it different from other parts of Larchmont? We are thinking of moving to Westchester and i've heard nice things about Larchmont Manor. Are there many kids? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 03:42 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,262,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ismith View Post
Can anyone tell me something about Larchmont Manor...what makes it different from other parts of Larchmont? We are thinking of moving to Westchester and i've heard nice things about Larchmont Manor. Are there many kids? Thanks.
Nicest neighborhood in lower Westchester County.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:03 PM

18 posts, read 79,569 times
Why? Can you give more detail. We actually drove around Westchester today in Briarcliff, Chappaqua, Pleasantville, Scarsdale, Rye and Larchmont Manor. They all seemed very nice. How does one pick a town? Let alone an area in the town. Larchmont Manor seemed very nice, lots of playgrounds, quite a few kids out, but couldn't tell if they were real people or nannys and daycamps. Help!

Old 06-22-2008, 04:20 PM

739 posts, read 1,849,122 times
NYC has been a mecca for immigrants since the founding of the USA. There was a large surge of immigration during the late-19th and early-20th century, as most readers here probably already know. Some towns were settled by large 'groups' of immigrants initially and have since become less homogeneous. Eastchester and Pleasantville had a large Italian and Irish community. Scarsdale had a large Jewish and Irish community, Bronxville was a traditional WASP bastion, as were Larchmont and Rye. Larchmont used to have a large Asian population. It's certainly changed since I was a kid but some of the original flavor of those early immigrants may remain. I'd say all the towns you mentioned have some very wealthy areas, as well as middle class areas (although in some towns those are shrinking).

I grew up in Eastchester and we had better Italian restaurants and 'salumerias' than anywhere else. Now those are available in many other towns. Pelham has a great mix of restaurants.

Westchester is known as being a very wealthy area, which it is. The common thread these days seems to be money and ethnicity is less of a factor in the towns than it used to be. The sense of the 'old neighborhood' has gone by the wayside but mostly in good ways.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:48 PM

148 posts, read 878,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ismith View Post
It is the most affluent and desirable part of larchmont, it is on the waterfront which is very beautiful by the way, beautiful architecure (mostly old victorians) and the proximity to essentials like train, shopping and schools. They also have first priority with regards to being a member of Manor beach and park. There are many kids in the Manor as in other parts of Larchmont. Orienta which is next to Larchmont on the Mamaroneck waterfront is also very affluent and desirable and close to essentials.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:54 PM

148 posts, read 878,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmmgott View Post
Why? Can you give more detail. We actually drove around Westchester today in Briarcliff, Chappaqua, Pleasantville, Scarsdale, Rye and Larchmont Manor. They all seemed very nice. How does one pick a town? Let alone an area in the town. Larchmont Manor seemed very nice, lots of playgrounds, quite a few kids out, but couldn't tell if they were real people or nannys and daycamps. Help!
"real people" that's too funny I think you mean "residents". Larchmont does have a lot of nannies, even stay at home moms have nannies, but there are also stay at home moms with their kids in the playgrounds. The people you saw in the playgrounds may not even live in Larchmont but in Mamaroneck, moms in Mamaroneck use Larchmont playgrounds and vice versa since they are usually walking distance or a short drive away. There are also daycamps going on but not in the playground as far as I know. You may be referring to Flint Park when you talk of Playgrounds and that is really open to everyone in Larchmont (and Mamaroneck) not just residents of Larchmont Manor.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:47 PM

1 posts, read 5,940 times
Default growing up in larchmont

Hey! I know this is a couple of months later, but in case you were still wondering:

I just graduated from Mamaroneck High School, and grew up in Larchmont, right by Flint Park. I loved growing up in Larchmont. The Manor is absolutely bursting with kids - two of my best friends lived within five minutes of me, and I could walk to the houses of most of my friends pretty easily. Living by the water is also a really special thing to have. During the summer sometimes we would just sit on the stone walls at dead ends overlooking the water and talk. The city is close enough and the trip's not too expensive, so we didn't feel claustrophobic - and Mamaroneck High School is a perfect size with some really remarkable arts programs and opportunities. Larchmont's certainly not perfect, it has its issues, but it was a great place to grow up and I'm very happy that my parents chose to raise me here. Mamaroneck is pretty great, too, a ton of my friends live there. Both towns are good places to live and grow up and are, I think, preferable to many of the other towns in that area.

hahah I hope that was helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County