Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 07:12 AM

22 posts, read 76,236 times

Advertisements

Could someone please give me some feedback on the river towns?

I'm moving from northern California and LOVE the outdoors and being near the water. I'm also a single female professional (40 years old) with twin toddlers. I've heard some wonderful things about Tarrytown and Cold Spring, but a few people have told me if I move there I'll be too isolated as a single. Is this true?

Thanks so much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 08:25 AM

57 posts, read 244,082 times
Why are you moving from Northern California? Hard to beat that lifestyle. Cold Spring in my favorite of the river towns but it's only 2000 people. Might be tough to meet people, although once your kids are in pre-school, it shouldn't be a problem. Cold Spring offers very easy access to great hiking and water activities. But it's hard to compare it to Sonoma or Marin. Those places are truly spectacular.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:13 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,192,374 times
As long as you make some effort you should be able to hook up with other parents and singles. We moved to a semi-rural area in northern Westchester (no sidewalks, no immediate neighbors) with an 18 month old and quickly found a playgroup in our neighborhood and two more formal playgroups nearby (one in Croton and one in Yorktown). I'm sure there are similar groups in Tarrytown and Cold Spring. And there are single parent groups all over.

Personally we love Cold Spring and looked for houses there but it felt too far away and too isolated. I didn't want to be in a town, but I did want to be close to a variety of towns. Cold Spring just felt too remote--but that of course is totally in the eye of the beholder.

I'd suggest also looking at Croton. It has access to the river and great hiking etc but is not as isolated.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:38 AM

Thanks so much for the suggestions! I've heard wonderful things about Cold Spring, but am also a bit worried about feeling isolated--especially from all the city has to offer.

Are there any river towns you'd recommend that are closer to the city?

Old 01-13-2009, 10:51 AM

Needed a change...my children's father and family are a pain in the rear. Probably the ONLY reason why we left.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:12 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,192,374 times
The river towns are all nice in different ways. By and large, they all have a mellow, relaxed, and somewhat artzy vibe. If you love the outdoors and value natural beauty and proximity to hiking etc., then I'd put Croton at the top of the list. If a walkable town with lots of stores is more important then I would put Hastings, Irvington, even Tarrytown at the top. I suggest touring them all and seeing which ones hit the spot for you.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:20 AM

I'm looking for something with a view of water surrounded by mountains--like back home. A place that has a cute downtown area that you can walk to with nice restaurants, coffee shops, quaint shops, etc. An organic market nearby would be nice too.

Is it possible?

Old 01-13-2009, 11:46 AM

If I can't have mountains, then just water view or near water. Can be river or ocean...

Old 01-13-2009, 11:53 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grollings View Post
I'm looking for something with a view of water surrounded by mountains--like back home. A place that has a cute downtown area that you can walk to with nice restaurants, coffee shops, quaint shops, etc. An organic market nearby would be nice too.

Is it possible?
You might have to have hills instead of mountains, but the rest should be easily accomplished. Hastings has an organic market in town that's an independent store, not part of a larger chain.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:49 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,259,290 times
Tarrytown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County