U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 08:13 AM

5 posts, read 35,757 times

Advertisements

Hey,

We've lived in New Zealand for 4 years and are coming back to the States. We've looked at Fairfield,CT but someone mentioned Bronxville to us, especially as my wife really hates to drive, and it seems to be quite compact . What gives with Bronxville? Is it friendly? We'd be looking at the modest end of the housing market there. Does Bronxville have modest types in it?

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2007, 10:27 AM

6,764 posts, read 21,040,424 times
Maybe this will help you:
Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 08:07 AM..

Old 03-10-2007, 02:07 AM

989 posts, read 2,654,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Maybe this will help you:
Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed
I checked that site and I have to say I think the crime data is completely worthless. Almost every single city I checked (about 50 in 5 different states) had above average crime! The only one I could find that was below average in both was Medina (that is literally where Bill Gates lives), and it still was only "slightly" below average!

They state they got the data from the FBI, and I am guessing that they might have made an error in the computation and not consider population (like they consider 1 city = 1 city, even if you are comparing Hicksville to NYC)

The other data seemed to fit, but such an error on crime makes me skeptical. BTW, the crime data is in conflict with other crime sites I've visited.

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 08:07 AM..

Old 03-10-2007, 09:45 PM

5 posts, read 35,757 times
Thank you to both - site was good, and notes about crime rate useful.

Does anyone know anything about Tuckahoe? It sits right next to Bronxville, but is more integrated and has cheaper housing. High school is minute, but the better integration has us thinking.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:15 PM

2 posts, read 14,126 times
hi, I live in Bronxsville. It is an approximately i mile square Village municipality with almost precisely the same boundary as the Bronxville School District. The School is one of the best public schools in the nation, if measured by dollars spent per student, size of classes, access to extra programming, degree of professionalism of teachers, and...most important, committed attention by parents. The Village is spectacularly situated 34 minutes or so by express train from Grand Central; was developed by the Lawrence family in the 19teens, with careful attention to siting of houses around the topography and (what has become) trophy trees; with large homes on small lawns; has a quaint village governemtn hall, a jaw-dropping library, and a walkable, functional downtown shoppping district. There are also a surprisingly large number of cooperative apartment buildings.

All of this is by way of saying that the Village of Bronxville has astounding property taxes, the largest portion of the bill going to the School District. So, the price of admission is a steeply priced home and steep recurring expenses.

Cooperative apartment living is cheaper. The confusing element is the naming and geography: the Village of Bronxville's boundaries are almost precisely the school district's , and any propoerty within those boundaries is able to attend the school. However, the US Post Office's "Bronxville" route is larger than the Village - there is a quite nice portion of the City of Yonkers to the west within the Bronxville postal address; and a tiny bit of the Village of Tuckahoe to the north.

The reputation of the Village of Bronxville is of Anglo-Saxon titans of Wall Street and their families; yankees, in short. But as the Manhattan economy shift to media, fashion, and other non Wall Street activities, the people who want 1) quick access to the city, and 2) excellent public schools, will gradually tilt the demography. For many years, there was, I think, conscious, blatent, purposeful exclusion of Jews and blacks, and probably any ethnic minority. Nowadays, the exclusion is straight-forward economic. But the tenor of the place as a paradise of blond kids and fathers off to Wall Street every morning can be easily believed.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:00 PM

2,406 posts, read 5,713,759 times
You sound like a Tuckahoe person. Tuckahoe borders Bronxville to the north, and is much more affordable. Good choice of coops, condos, rentals and normal-sized houses. The school district is very good. Compared to Bronxville, it may appear vastly inferior. But this is a reflection of its economic diversity, and Bronxville's lack of economic diversity (see above post).

Bronxville has the "perfect" downtown. Tuckahoe's downtown is OK. But parts of Tuckahoe are closer to downtown Bronxville than parts of Bronxville are to downtown Bronxville. And you might want to expand your horizons to the next community to the north, Eastchester. It will provide you with a much wider variety of options.

Bottom line - Bronxville is great, but you will pay through the nose. Might as well live just over the line.

Good luck!

Old 01-11-2008, 11:34 AM

24 posts, read 112,810 times
Default Minorities in Bronxville

Are there any jewish kids in the bronxville schools?

Old 01-11-2008, 11:36 AM

7,079 posts, read 36,531,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dt817 View Post
I seriously doubt it.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:19 PM

77 posts, read 413,889 times
1966 Glory,

My wife and I call Bronxville "snotty-snottyville" so, no, I wouldn't call it friendly. Also, very expensive. The modest range is pretty much non-existent. If you give us some more info about what your budget is and what your priories are, I'm sure you'll get plenty of help here.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:26 PM

2,406 posts, read 5,713,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dt817 View Post
Until I'm guess sometime in the 1970's, Jews (and others) were quietly kept out of Bronxville. Although anyone can now buy a house there today, the legacy of discrimination sort of remains. I know a couple of Jewish families in Bronxville and there are no problems. But given the excellent school district and the easy commute to Manhattan, it is suprising how few Jewish families there are.

Three years ago our friend's son was the only Jewish kid to graduate from BHS (out of 100+/-).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County