U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 03:58 PM

185 posts, read 1,174,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
A smart and highly motivated kid at Rye Neck will get into the Ivy's. An average slacker at Rye will get into a mediocre school. It's that simple. And wealthy parents do end up with average slackers.
Lets agree to disagree...However, if you have equal grades and sat's scores from a kid and rye and one from rye neck and they were both trying per se for Yale--the kid from Rye would have the advantage coming from a far better school. I know people who this actually happenned to--- As this may bother or anger people, it is a fact. Rye is a better school district the classes are more difficult and they offer more AP Classes--also they begin to prepare kids for college as they already have the kids writing research papers---whereby most kids go to college and learn while attending a university how to write them. Again, this is all facts. Friends of mine.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 05:08 PM

7,079 posts, read 36,851,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggi813 View Post
Lets agree to disagree...However, if you have equal grades and sat's scores from a kid and rye and one from rye neck and they were both trying per se for Yale--the kid from Rye would have the advantage coming from a far better school. I know people who this actually happenned to--- As this may bother or anger people, it is a fact. Rye is a better school district the classes are more difficult and they offer more AP Classes--also they begin to prepare kids for college as they already have the kids writing research papers---whereby most kids go to college and learn while attending a university how to write them. Again, this is all facts. Friends of mine.
What you're not accounting for is that your friends might not have interviewed well, or had recommendations that were lacking. Candidates who are the same by the numbers are distinguished by several factors: the interview, recommendations and extracurricular interests and activities. I've also seen people with PERFECT SATs who couldn't put together an English sentence. It's not just grades or what school you're from.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:28 PM

everyone is missing the point.

I am leaving this topic with let's agree to disagree...

Old 01-25-2009, 12:42 AM

395 posts, read 1,545,754 times
Ziggi before you leave could you give me the general consensus about Croton-on Hudson schools? Thanks much!

Old 01-25-2009, 05:16 PM

I don't know anyone who lives in croton-on-hudson or anyone who has attended hendrick hudson school---(i am guessing this is the school district)

I do know someone who is an elementary school teacher there--I could get some info from him and get back to you.

Have you looked into the school reports?

Old 01-25-2009, 05:50 PM

The district is Croton-Harmon Union Free School District. I would actually be interested to hear from a teacher there as to how the "union free" situation works for them. Is this generally considered a positive or negative?

Greatschools.net has the elementary (Carrie E. Tomkins) as a 8 and middle school (Pierre Van Cortlandt) as a 10, but the high school (Croton-Harmon Senior High) as n/a (what does that mean anyway? no recent scores to rank?). General feedback I've had about these schools is positive, with the biggest drawback (or advantage, depending on your point of view) is that they are smaller in size relative to other area schools. I'm hoping they still have some options for sports and other activities. Otherwise I'm really not looking for one of those ivy league pressure cooker districts so this seems like it would be fine for us (I have a kindergartner and preschooler right now). To be honest we are coming from Los Angeles Unified so anything would be an improvement at this point.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:57 AM

701 posts, read 3,179,299 times
I don't think "union free" has anything to do with a teacher's union. I think it is just a reference to being a union of the Croton area, and the schools being public --- free.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:47 AM

701 posts, read 3,179,299 times
Correction on "Union Free School District" -- According to the NYS Dept of Education and Wikipedia:
Union free school districts
A union free school district is a district resulting from a "union" of multiple common school districts, "free" from the restrictions that previously barred them from operating high schools. In January 2000, there were 151 school districts of this type. 31 provided only elementary education, despite the original intent of "freeing" them from such restrictions. Unlike common school districts, each union free school district is governed by a board of education. Each board must have at least three but not more than nine members.

--- Thus, in practice, a "Union Free School District" is no different than any other school district.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:53 PM

again - thanks for doing the legwork and providing this info!

Old 01-28-2009, 06:44 PM

I didn't forget about you CALI I have a phone call into my friend and am waiting for him to get back to me...sometimes he gets busy as I know he tutors after school most days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County