U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2011, 07:26 AM
bg7

7,696 posts, read 9,751,086 times

Advertisements

I don't really know what you mean - "a town of your own". There's no passport control on Main Street. And you get access to both Rye and Mamaroneck facilities, e.g. the beach, parks (with a slight premium charged for e.g. Hommocks pool, but not like being charged as a non-resident).
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 08:54 AM

1,496 posts, read 4,220,468 times
Rye Neck is technically in Rye Town, which is very likely about to be dissolved in the next few years. At that point, there is talk of their losing access to Rye facilities. And there is no Rye Neck downtown...you really are sort of in Rye and sort of in Mamaroneck, hence the name.

And because of the multiple layers of government there, I found the taxes to be higher per $ of home value than EITHER Rye or Mamaroneck, so having to pay more than either of those residents would to use their facilities was another turn off for us (I realize it's less than non-residents pay, but if I'm paying taxes to both I shouldn't have to pay more than anyone living squarely in one of the other, IMO).

Rye Neck has some pretty areas, particularly in Shore Acres, but you can't deny that there are many people out there that still have no idea what or where it is when you refer to it.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:08 AM
bg7

7,696 posts, read 9,751,086 times
Well it seems the issue is mainly pyschological . Firstly, as to what may or may not happen. Secondly, the distance from chunks of Rye Neck to Mamaroneck Avenue is no different than the distance of other parts of Mamamroneck to Mamaroneck Avenue. If your five blocks north of Mamaroneck Ave. (Rye Neck) or five blocks south of Mamaroneck Ave. (Mamaroneck) it makes no difference to you as far as "having" a downtown. Moreover, the overall taxes are barely different, not enough to be a real consideration when buying a home. In addition, while you pay a small extra amount (over what a Mamaroneck resident pays) for Hommocks Pool, you pay the same amount as Rye residents for Rye park/beach.

As to you last point, I completely agree, people will generally not have heard of it or know where it is.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:07 PM

58 posts, read 224,911 times
I agree with bg7; to say that Rye Neck has no downtown is nonsense when you consider how much of Rye Neck is walkable distance to Mamaroneck Ave. I don't think it has "exorbitant" taxes compared with Mamaroneck Town. The school district is small, but I'm not sure that's much of a problem.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:32 PM

148 posts, read 828,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
There is a big difference between them atmosphere-wise, though. A school with less than 400 kids in it just doesn't offer as many choices in HS as a larger district like Rye. It's a plus or minus depending on your values, but for us personally, we were turned off by the exhorbitant taxes in Rye Neck for what you get (a small school district, but no town of your own).

Both are indeed fine districts, but your child will have a completely different school experience in one vs. another.
Jjinla, you should be specific in your comments about choices as people are relying on our comments here to purchase homes that will suit their kids. What does Rye offer that Rye Neck doesn't?.

I think most people look at Math and English Language Arts as basics so I will address those. Rye Neck's math curriculum is Singapore Math which is currently the gold standard in the world. This math curriculum and the small size of Rye Neck facilitates differentiated instruction for gifted, average and gifted students to the extent not possible in other schools like Rye and Scarsdale. Reading and the language arts in general is another area where differentiation is necessary for effective instruction. In general differentiation and focus on the individual child is at the core of Rye Neck's student instruction, which is what people seek and pay for in expensive small private schools. Most people with money do not want to pay good money to send their children to schools with over 400 students. Rye and Scarsdale are anomalies in that they are large and also have reasonably high school scores, a lot of parents are scared of large schools where kids get 'lost' in the shuffle and end up doing drugs, booze etc because the school is too large for teachers to figure out what is going on at all times.

Another point to consider is that if you do not want your child to experience any diversity you should send them to Rye and if you want them to experience some diversity send them to Rye Neck.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Rye Neck is technically in Rye Town, which is very likely about to be dissolved in the next few years. At that point, there is talk of their losing access to Rye facilities. And there is no Rye Neck downtown...you really are sort of in Rye and sort of in Mamaroneck, hence the name.

And because of the multiple layers of government there, I found the taxes to be higher per $ of home value than EITHER Rye or Mamaroneck, so having to pay more than either of those residents would to use their facilities was another turn off for us (I realize it's less than non-residents pay, but if I'm paying taxes to both I shouldn't have to pay more than anyone living squarely in one of the other, IMO).

Rye Neck has some pretty areas, particularly in Shore Acres, but you can't deny that there are many people out there t pshat still have no idea what or where it is when you refer to it.
It is not possible for Rye Neck to loose access to Rye Town facilities, I don't know if you are aware but Rye City is no longer in Rye Town and yet the still have access to Oakland Beach at resident rates. These things are grandfathered in. Also there are people that clearly live in Rye City and not Mamaroneck such as those in Greenhaven and those that clearly live in Mamaroneck and not Rye. However, all of them enjoy Rye Town facilities, because Rye City was previously part of Rye Town and the part of Mamaroneck in Rye Neckis currently part of Rye Town and even if it becomes part of Town of Mamaroneck will always (just like Rye currently does) enjoy Rye Town facilities.

The taxes in Rye Neck are not higher than Rye or Mamaroneck, because Rye Town which assesses Rye Neck relies on the actual valuation of the homes to access tax values and since values have gone down the taxes have been accessed lower.

Why do you say Rye Neck has some pretty areas like Shore Acres only, how about Greenhaven and the homes around Johnson Place in Rye those are in Rye Neck too and are very pretty too but infortunately very expensive. Most people in Mamaroneck which is where Shore Acres is know where it is and most people in Rye know where Greenhaven is so what is the problem.

There is no need for a Rye Neck downtown it is simply a schoold idstrict for most intents and purposes. For those that live in the part of Mamaroneck in Rye Neck, the Mamaroneck downtown is their downtown and for those in the part of Rye that's in Rye Neck, Rye downtown is their downtown. Its just like saying there is no French American School downtown, there is no need for one, the people that attend school there simply use the downtown in the town in which they live.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:57 PM

Choices meaning number and type of electives, sports, AP classes, clubs, etc. Look at the catalog for Rye Neck compared to New Rochelle, Scarsdale, Mamaroneck, etc. if you will, and it's pretty clear what those choices entail. It all depends on your priorities, as I mentioned above. Neither is right or wrong. Some kids will thrive in a small environment, and some want or need a larger one (as do parents - not everyone wants to part of such a small community).

I don't discredit the quality of the education in Rye Neck at all, I'm simply stating that people should be aware in advance that the school is very small, which is true. Some shudder at the thought of sending their kids to a larger school, and that is fine, too. But at some point, most of these kids are going to be thrown into an environment with hundreds of choices and tens of thousands of classmates once in college, and each parent has to decide what the best way is to prepare their kids for what is to come. There is no right or wrong.

Most important for us, though, was that they have very limited resources for special education compared to larger districts. Unless your child fits into a narrow definition of what they can handle on a building level, your child will be tuitioned out to another district. That just wasn't ideal for us.

As for diversity, Rye HS is 89% white. Rye Neck is 76%. Sadly, neither is really diverse by today's standards to be honest.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:07 PM

Rye Town is what is rumored to be dissolved. I've seen several studies talking about how to best do it. So no, nothing is certain, but it is going through changes.

It's absolutely untrue that Rye Neck's tax rate is lower than Rye or Mamaroneck's...especially Rye's. a house for $800K in Rye has about $11-15K in taxes annually. In Rye Neck it is anywhere between $19-24, just from the homes we've seen. Rye is widely known to have the lowest tax rate in the county.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Rye Town is what is rumored to be dissolved. I've seen several studies talking about how to best do it. So no, nothing is certain, but it is going through changes.

It's absolutely untrue that Rye Neck's tax rate is lower than Rye or Mamaroneck's...especially Rye's. a house for $800K in Rye has about $11-15K in taxes annually. In Rye Neck it is anywhere between $19-24, just from the homes we've seen. Rye is widely known to have the lowest tax rate in the county.
jjinla,

On the contrary it is absolutely untrue that a house for $800K in Rye Neck has taxes between $19-24k, they are actually in the same range as Rye as you can see below. I decided to check MLS (real estate) listings for Rye Neck, Rye and Mamaroneck school districts for some factual information we can all review. My source is the MLS listings at the Westchester Putnam Association of Realtors Inc's website WPAR.org.
With regards to Rye Town being dissolved it has been suggested and debated for years and nothing has come of it, if anything it will be in the best interest of Rye Neck if it does come to fruition.

Rye Neck School District (Mamaroneck Village)

MLS# 3109636 for $799,000 (on conditional contract) - taxes are $14,500
MLS# 3102344 for $799,000 (active) - taxes are $15,811

Rye Neck School District (Rye City)
Not surprisingly I did not find a listing in Rye City in Rye Neck school district for $799,000 the homes in Rye that are zone for Rye Neck School district are usually a $1M and above. For comparison purposes the listing closest to $799,000 in Rye was one listed at $1,149,000 below.

MLS# 3112658for$1,149,000 - taxes are $21,374

Rye School District (Rye City)
MLS# 3110406 for $799,000 (active) taxes are $14561
MLS# 3109466 for $799,000 (active) taxes are $14,860

Mamaroneck School District (Larchmont Village)
MLS# 3114418 for $799,000 (active) - taxes are $15,868
MLS# 3102533 for $799,000 (active) - taxes are $16,960

Mamaroneck School District (Mamaroneck Village)

I did not find a regular listing in Mamaroneck village/Mamaroneck School district for $799,000 the only one available is a new home under construction so its not relevant for comparison purposes. The listing closest to $799,000 was one listed at $729,000 below.

MLS# 3110760 for $729,000 (active) taxes are $14,588

Last edited by Ekulu; 06-06-2011 at 05:49 PM.. Reason: To change a font on highlighted text from bold to italics, I want to make the emphasis more subtle.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:07 PM

Check out MLS #3103145 in Rye. Sale price was $880K and 2010 taxes were $10,500 (certainly they went up for 2011, but not that much).
or 3104670 sold for $860K with taxes of $13K.

In Rye Neck, #3035006 sold for $715K with taxes of $17K.
#3029982 that sold for $840K with taxes of $25K.
#3035006 is pending and listed for $825K with a tax bill in 2011 of almost $22K (and even though it's been completely updated, the taxes are as high as when it sold for less than $500K).

Mamaroneck and Larchmont's taxes are much closer to Rye Neck's, but still, you cannot honestly state that homes zoned for Rye City schools have an equivalent tax rate as in Rye Neck - they aren't even close, which I suspect helps propel their home prices above neighboring areas.

And getting reassesed annually isn't a good thing in my opinion - it's expensive and uneccessary. If values fall on a widespread basis in any given year, you know that they are just going to adjust the tax rate upwards to compensate, so it's a wash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County