Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2009, 12:43 PM

133 posts, read 466,481 times

Advertisements

Jut curious if anyone knows what the least used Metro North stop is? My guess would be Morris Heights. It is in the least convenient location possible and would make more sense to move it near one of the bridges or in a more accessible place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 08:33 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,662,054 times
I never understood the Mt. Pleasant stop on the Harlem line, it's a tiny platform that no one is ever on. I think they have it there for the cemeteries?

Old 01-28-2009, 11:51 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
Yes, it's for the cemeteries, and you have to be in a specific car of the train if you want to use that stop. I think that there's only one train to Mount Pleasant from Grand Central and one return train that stops at Grand Central.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:56 AM

1 posts, read 4,273 times
There of course are also the special whistle stops for hikers...Appalachian Trail on Harlem line & Breakneck Ridge & Manitou on the Hudson line. Limited weekend/holiday service only.

Old 11-14-2009, 04:48 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,885,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Yes, it's for the cemeteries, and you have to be in a specific car of the train if you want to use that stop. I think that there's only one train to Mount Pleasant from Grand Central and one return train that stops at Grand Central.
You are correct, but I think it actually was a "regular" stop until the late 70s/early 80s

My guess not counting this and the "hiker" stations is a tie between either the Dutchess Co. stations of the Harlem Line (which unlike the ends of the Hudson and New Haven lines or the New Haven branch lines (like near Danbury and Waterbury) is in a fairly unpopulated area) or the Tremont and Melrose stations on the Harlem Line in the south Bronx (unsafe area and the people who live there probably take the subway to Manhattan for a lot less money). Morris Heights (which someone mentioned) might be close.

Old 11-14-2009, 09:22 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,307,278 times
There are plenty of people use the Morris Heights station, I can attest to that. I used to use it on a daily basis, the closest subway stop over there is either Burnside or 176th on the 4 train.

I think more people would use Tremont or Melrose but the thing is the train only stops at those stations at specific time periods. I know plenty of people who live around the Tremont station, but normally get off/on at fordham because of the specific times that the train will stop at Tremont. The frequency I think is something like one train every two hours. Fordham is a very convenient station for the simple fact that both the Harlem and New Haven lines stop there. Its heaven for the reverse commute (sometimes).

The thing with the majority of Bronx stations (with the exception of Spuyten Duvil imo), is that most people are using them to reverse commute. I think the best indicator would be to see how well the station is used during rush hour. Woodlawn and wakefield are great examples of this.

I would say the Yonkers station in Getty square was another great example of an underused station before they put up that new housing in the last few years. Most people in the neighborhood would take the bus to the 1 or 4 train, or travel to take the bus across town to the central avenue vicinity.

My guess would be that the least used station is somewhere at the top of the Harlem line, I don't understand how people can commute from places like Tenmile river and Wassaic. Thats like commuting to Philadelphia and then some everyday.

Old 11-15-2009, 01:41 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,885,525 times
OK wordlife, then you settled the "tie" in my mind. I do imagine there are some who use Tremont and Melrose to commute to jobs in White Plains ("reverse" commute) so the Dutchess Co. Harlem Line stations are probably the least used.

I read somewhere that the Harlem Line actually went all the way up to Chatham in Columbia County (essentially where the Taconic meets I-90) until the late '70s, WOW!. But those people who actually use the train up at say Wassaic may be using it to go to White Plains instead of NYC. Still a bad commute but more like commuting to New Haven than Philly from NYC in terms of distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County