Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2009, 08:08 PM

27 posts, read 76,426 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a move to the Hudson Valley from the Midwest. I have a full-time home business though it's possible I would obtain work in Manhattan as well; so I still want to be placed for a reasonable commute to Manhattan.

I'm car-free and can walk/bike, but I also have a health concern that sometimes flares up. I need to take it a bit easier than I have in the past and so need easy access to bus and train, plus I want to be centrally located in town for access to farmers market, grocery shopping (if possible), and coffee shops. I often take cabs and I assume they're available in most of the towns.

I'm OK with renting a studio or 1-bedroom but would really like to find a nice, comfortable place since I spend a lot of time working there.

I'm just starting the info-gathering process so I appreciate any suggestions. To sum up, a cozy apt. in a pretty town where I can afford to live close to downtown and the main shopping areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 09:09 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
A couple of towns come to mind that might meet your needs in Westchester. I would suggest Mount Kisco and Larchmont. Mount Kisco is Northern Westchester, about an hour to the city, whereas Larchmont is roughly 30 minutes via train to Midtown. For Northern Westchester, Mount Kisco has a large town center and varied shops, and grocery stores are not far away at all, though you might need to take a cab for large shopping. Mount Kisco has cabs as well, not to say that other towns don't have service, but they do not have their own cab companies in them which can make waits longer.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:48 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,191,917 times
Mt Kisco would work well. If you want something with more urban grit you could also consider Peekskill, which is very walkable in terms of coffee houses, restaurants, book stores, and basic shopping. As with Mt Kisco, there are larger supermarkets and big box stores just outside of town--easy enough to bike to or taxi to. Peekskill also has its own taxi companies. Peekskill has wonderful parks, including one on the Hudson, and a great performing arts center and modern art museum. The train to Manhattan from both Mt Kisco and Peekskill is the same, 50-60 minutes depending on the time. Another option might be Tarrytown.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:04 AM

701 posts, read 3,325,529 times
White Plains would be the most obvious choice, as it is a real city, easy to walk to transportation.

Taxis are not readily available in all Westchester towns. Often, there is a small cab/livery company located at the local train station.

For a more suburban town, Pleasantville is a "walking" town, with some available rentals. Parts of Mamaroneck/Larchmont, Tarrytown could meet your needs. Hartsdale has a lot of coop and condo buildings near the train station, so there should be plenty of rental options, with an easy walk to the "downtown." The walkable downtown isn't huge, but is has a big pharmacy, a few decent restaurants (including amazing sushi), and some shops where you can get some of the staples. Major supermarkets aren't exactly walkable, but they are within a mile or two.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:12 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,662,054 times
I lived without a car in Mt. Kisco for 2 years fairly easily. There are a lot of cab companies, buses, and Metro North in the downtown. Once you are downtown, there is a lot of walkable shopping, plus you have a Target right in town, along with several supermakets.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:33 AM

95 posts, read 431,306 times
I would also recommend Mt. Kisco and Peekskill, although Mt. Kisco might be a bit easier for the walking/biking. Peekskill has some pretty steep hills, on the other hand it does have excellent taxi service with a flat rate for anywhere within the city limits.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:29 PM

27 posts, read 76,426 times
Thanks for the specific and helpful info, much appreciated.

I'm also looking at Tarrytown; I have writing interests and I see it's close to the Hudson Valley Writing Center in Sleepy Hollow.

Is there a recommended place as a "starter" town in relocating to the area? In other words, since I'm renting and not buying, I'd like to find a place that's more central and then once I'm there I can take my time and explore other towns for a place where I can settle long-term. I'm thinking White Plains or Tarrytown?

Last edited by Marigo14; 01-29-2009 at 04:21 PM..

Old 01-30-2009, 09:21 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,662,054 times
What's your budget? Downtown White Plains is very pricey

Old 01-30-2009, 09:40 AM

701 posts, read 3,325,529 times
You can start just about anyplace where you can find a rental. But White Plains would be the most obvious choice -- Most central, with the most public transportation, and the most rental options. That said, it's "urban"... and even for a start, you might prefer a more suburban option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County