Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 08:31 AM

35 posts, read 100,307 times

Advertisements

My husband will be taking a job in the bronx and we have been primarily looking at areas in Westchester. However we have realized we can get more for our money in terms of a house in some areas of Bergen county.

I was wondering what the difference is between the to counties, generally.
- Schools
- Crime
- Green Space
- Walkability
- Commute to the Bronx
- Friendliness

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 10:55 AM

701 posts, read 3,325,529 times
Not sure such county-wide generalizations are possible for comparison. I don't know Bergen county that well, but I would suspect the answers would be very town-specific.
Schools -- Westchester has some of the best school districts in the country, and other very good school districts. There are a few more questionable districts as well.
Crime -- Generally fairly low through most of Westchester, but again, there are questionable areas.
Green space -- I'd say Westshester, especially northern Westchester, has the edge over Bergen County. You have a lot of open land, homes on large lots, in northern Westchester. Southern Westchester may be more comparable to Bergen.
Walkability -- Completely town specific, and specific to location within the town. For example, Katonah has a very nice walkable downtown. So if you live within a mile of the downtown, it's all very walkable. But you may live 5-10 miles from the downtown.
Commute to Bronx-- Definitely better from Westchester, as it directly borders the Bronx. I routinely go to the courthouse in the Bronx. Door to door from Northern/Central Westchester is under 45 minutes. Might have a bit of delay on the Major Deegan, but don't have to take the George Washington and Cross Bronx Expressway (which you have to do from Bergen).

Friendliness -- I'm sure it depends on the specific neighborhood.

Old 02-17-2009, 11:09 PM

4 posts, read 29,316 times
Default Westchester Shopping Stinks

I've lived in Westchester for 2 1/2 years and follow this forum often. I think I speak for many Westchester residents when I say the state of shopping and dining in the county is absolutely pathetic.

I will prove my point because you cannot prove me wrong. Compared to other local/national counties, when it comes to shopping and dining, Westchester absolutely stinks.

It's a joke. Highest taxes in the nation for such a terrible selection of supermarkets/stores/shopping.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:03 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,032,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14534NY View Post
when it comes to shopping and dining, Westchester absolutely stinks.
It would helpful (and interesting) to know which suburban areas you feel have vastly better dining than Westchester. It's true, Westchester is short on chains like Chili's, TGI Friday's, Olive Garden, etc. If that's the problem then Manhattan comes up short too vs, for example, Charlotte NC or Albany NY.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:33 AM

223 posts, read 828,374 times
I would actually say Westchester has better food than NJ! Less chains, I am not very fond of chains.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:20 PM

718 posts, read 2,325,213 times
You must not get out often. The whole purpose of Westchester is to escape the biggest mall in America - Manhattan, so there is a good reason why it is not commercialized. White Plains is a pretty big shopping hub in case you havent noticed, and if you leave the county, Rockland, Stamford, and Danbury all have malls to fulfull your mallrat desires. But if you want your four lane local highways full of strip malls, there are plenty of sunbelt areas that suit your needs.

Youre complaining about food? Are there not enough McDonalds, Chipotle, and Ihop in Westchester? Westchester has some of the best quality food in the country. Unlike the rest of sterile America, there are diverse dining options and specialty stores in the county. You need to get out and look.

Quote:
I've lived in Westchester for 2 1/2 years and follow this forum often. I think I speak for many Westchester residents when I say the state of shopping and dining in the county is absolutely pathetic.

I will prove my point because you cannot prove me wrong. Compared to other local/national counties, when it comes to shopping and dining, Westchester absolutely stinks.

It's a joke. Highest taxes in the nation for such a terrible selection of supermarkets/stores/shopping.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:39 PM

5 posts, read 16,034 times
Default Whoa there!

[quote=14534NY;7513259]I've lived in Westchester for 2 1/2 years and follow this forum often. I think I speak for many Westchester residents when I say the state of shopping and dining in the county is absolutely pathetic.}

I guess it depends what you consider "shopping and dining".

The Westchester offers as much price range variety as any mall I have seen.
The Whole Foods in White Plains compares to the Whole Foods in Time Warner, and the Mrs. Greens in Briarcliff to the Westerly on 8th Ave.
Blue Hills at Stone Barns is as close to top of the list dining as you can get.
The rest of the range goes from "Harvest on Hudson" to "Red Hat" and "New Foods" to Dunkin Donuts in Elmsford.

However, if what you mean by shopping is "Canal Street", and dining "chain chow", then yes you need to go to NYC, but that is just 30 minutes on the Metro North.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:04 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,575,667 times
Quote:

That's exactly WHY we pay so much:

limited tax revenue because of fewer stores;

we pay more because WE DON'T WANT A MALL EVERY OTHER BLOCK!

I would rather drive down the Saw Mill on a Saturday than Rt. 17 in Paramus.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:05 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,575,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Westchester is short on chains like Chili's, TGI Friday's, Olive Garden, etc.
and not one Hooters!

Old 03-01-2009, 10:18 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,078,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrekker View Post
and not one Hooters!
I would think that's a good thing LOL..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County