Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 05:32 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times

Advertisements

Hi! My husband and I are thinking of moving to either Westchester or Long Island sometime this summer or so. We are both in theatre - he is a sound engineer on Broadway and I'm an actress - so we would be commuting to the city about 6 days a week. We are looking for a decent house, a good school district, and within an hour commute to the city. I would also like to be close to grocery stores, restaurants (especially sushi), shops, etc. Our budget is pretty low so I know that we have to rule out most of Westchester! We are looking to spend around 400K. So far, we are looking at the Yorktown area and possily Buchanan. I would love to be closer to the city - but from what I have heard about White Plains, Mt Vernon, and New Rochelle - I'm not sure that that would be our best option. Any suggestions, comments would be wonderful! Thank you!!!!
-Heather
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 06:12 PM

701 posts, read 3,326,165 times
Your budget is low. For single family houses, your options are limited, but if you are willing to look at townhouses, a few more options could open up.

Every place in Westchester is close to groceries, sushi, etc. This isn't farm country. Yes, might be a 10-15 minute drive.

You have identified good spots to start with Buchanan and Yorktown. You might also find something affordable in Croton or Somers. Further south, White Plains really isn't so horrible. Also, North White Plains with Valhalla schools is decent. You might also find something in Mt Kisco

Old 02-11-2009, 07:03 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,192,835 times
I don't think you can be more than 5 minutes from sushi even if you try. Good Thai on the other hand...

I'd add Ossining to the list--good schools and plenty of houses in your price range. Also Cortland has plenty of houses in your price range. I agree with Havoc that Croton, Somers, and Mt Kisco all are good ideas.

Have you considered Maplewood in NJ? Nice houses in your price range and a short commute.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:13 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
One can sometimes find cottage style houses in Pleasantville and Thornwood for around $400k. Hastings and Ardsley might also have something in the line of a cottage available, but it will be tiny. The selection in all of these areas will be limited, and the house might need a couple of updates, but it's closer to the city.

If your budget is around $400-425k, consider Mamaroneck. There are houses under $400k in Mamaroneck, but they're generally not the best. At around $400k, it will be an older house, but some are actually quite cozy. And, of course, in this market, a little over budget might fall into budget when you negotiate a little.

Like Mount Vernon and New Rochelle, Port Chester would have some houses in range, even some in neighborhoods that are decent, but it's the schools that are the problem. In addition, parts of the area are a little gritty.

Even in some relatively expensive Westchester areas, you can find affordable houses, but there will not be as large a selection as other areas of the county. If you like the town and can work with the house, however, it can be a good situation.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:14 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Thank you all for your input! We are planning a littley sight seeing trip in the next couple of weeks to get more familiar with the neighborhoods!

Old 02-13-2009, 03:43 AM

413 posts, read 1,106,284 times
Pelham is close, has great schools, and lots of condos, coops, etc. for 400K.
it also has the Pelham Picture House.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:18 AM

4 posts, read 23,600 times
Commuting to the west side is not so easy from Westchester. I am in the arts and most of my friends who are actively commuting to and from the theater district live in NJ. I love Westchester and raising my children here. However, when I need to be on the westside, I drive to Riverside Dr around 125th to park and then take the subway down because it's the fastest way. But I wouldn't do this on a daily basis.

The other suggestion I have, as long as you don't have to worry about children and schools right now, is Hartsdale. There's a charming downtown area with lots of coops and condos surrounding, charming houses nearby that might be slightly out of your price range, but who knows with this market today!, cheap taxes, and an express train that gets you into Grand Central in 35 minutes.

Good luck!

Old 02-14-2009, 12:11 PM

162 posts, read 602,094 times
Mount Kisco, White Plains, Rye, and New Rochelle are all great places to live.

Buchanan is not a place I'd recommend to live for you, the closest mall from there is all the Beech Shopping Center in Peekskill (if I remember it right), and there's no nightlife there at all, it's just houses with a couple of delis here and there.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:25 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLOJ View Post
Mount Kisco, White Plains, Rye, and New Rochelle are all great places to live.

Buchanan is not a place I'd recommend to live for you, the closest mall from there is all the Beech Shopping Center in Peekskill (if I remember it right), and there's no nightlife there at all, it's just houses with a couple of delis here and there.
Rye? On 400K? Really?

Old 02-14-2009, 01:13 PM

162 posts, read 602,094 times
Oh yeah and Ossining doesn't have a that much of a nightlife either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County