Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 02:49 PM

30 posts, read 107,422 times

Advertisements

We are moving to NY in a couple of months as my husband is being transferred to the stamford office from London. We have been researching some of the areas in westchester and Larchmont sounds like a nice place. If we could find something here affordable could my husband cycle to work ? In London there is a big cycling culture and people do cycle - probably 10-15 miles at the most - to get into work. Im not sure how the roads are out there and if it is cycle friendly.
thanks for any feedback
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 02:58 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
Is there even a shower available at work???? And a clothes closet? Because I know I wouldn't want to sit in a meeting next to someone who'd cycled to work and didn't shower and change....

Again, VERY dangerous to do this on these roads. Drivers in the US do not deal well with cyclists.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:06 PM

Yes i know what you mean! Im sure there is a shower. Anyway never mind, just thought i'd try and ask but the trains are fine - he's just obsessed with cycling!

Old 02-26-2009, 06:11 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
I agree with Viralmd that it would not be the best route for bicycling, since it's the Boston Post Road (Route 1) and it's heavily traveled with many intersections. If it had a dedicated bicycle lane, that would be a different story.

For some interesting routes via bicycle for your husband to explore, however, check: Bike Trails, Paths & Routes From Over 40 Countries at Bikely.com, which has routes posted by fellow cyclists.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:26 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,078,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Is there even a shower available at work???? And a clothes closet? Because I know I wouldn't want to sit in a meeting next to someone who'd cycled to work and didn't shower and change....

Again, VERY dangerous to do this on these roads. Drivers in the US do not deal well with cyclists.
That really wasn't the issue at all and obviously you and her husband are totally different people. My boss rides his bike a few miles from his apartment in the City to midtown and he loves it, its good for him, and and he NEVER smells..even in the summer.

But I agree most roads that go that sort of distance are filled with cars and no bike lanes. I hear Seattle has lots of nice bike lanes and trails.. But I would guess within the town you will move to there will be plenty of areas to go biking..just probably not routes from one city or town to another several miles away (H will want to find somewhere more out of the way with less cars).

Old 02-27-2009, 09:53 AM

701 posts, read 3,325,301 times
Just a note, a train commute from Larchmont to Stamford, while possible, is not a common commute. You'll find limited train service going in that direction, plus would still need transportation to/from the train stations and the office/home. Virtually every commuter from Larchmont to Stamford, drives.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:24 AM

15,631 posts, read 10,386,562 times
We lived in Larchmont and Stamford and now Manhattan. Larchmont is 20 minutes, by car, on a good day to Stamford so a bike ride is at least twice as long, right?

We loved living in both cities for different reasons.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 02-27-2009 at 11:45 AM..

Old 03-01-2009, 03:56 AM

thanks bmwguydc for bike routes link - will get him to check them out. That's useful to know also about the train line not being a common commute. He hates driving more than i do so that will never happen - we may have to re-think again (for the 50th time!) anyway once we're there, we can have a look ourselves but good to do internet research before we go there.
anyone know anything about long island city? i took my kids to a birthday party yesterday and the host cousin is from brooklyn and she was telling me about it - 7 mins to grand central? but im guessing that must be v.busy in the morning. even though my husband would leave at 6am but even so.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:26 AM

701 posts, read 3,325,301 times
I don't know that much about LI City, but that would be an even more unusual commute to Stamford.

The train schedules are really set up to bring people into Manhattan in the morning, and back to the suburbs in the evening. You do have some reverse commuting -- people who live in Manhattan, but work in White Plains or Stamford, etc. Though there are less trains, they can make it work.

But for commuting from suburban area to suburban area (for this discussion, I am treating Stamford as a suburb of NYC), everyone drives.

I would suggest looking up the location of your husbands office and the proximity to the Stamford train station. (would he need to take a cab from the train to the office, or is it very close)
You can then get the train schedule online.

Larchmont to Stamford, for example, would be a 20-30 minute, door to door drive. On the other hand, on a reverse commuting train, just the train ride is about 30 minutes. Then you need to factor in getting to and from the train station.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:41 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,078,118 times
LOL then there is me living in the city all my life and using the subway to get to work, DREAMING of a life where I can hop in my car and drive 30-30 mins door to door to my job and park in a parking lot right in front without searching endlessly (or paying mega bucks) for parking. Can't WAIT to get away from public transport..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County