Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2009, 12:32 PM

8 posts, read 40,486 times

Advertisements

This is a very informative forum!

We are seriously considering a move to Yorktown Heights in the near future. My family and I want to explore the area in the upcoming week --- can anyone tell me a nice place for a family with 2 pre-school aged children to go play? We want to be able to meet some other families to get a 'feel' for the area.

I would also appreciate any recommendations for childcare... I've heard of "The Seed" and will visit it soon -- but the youngest age they accept is 2yrs9mo and my youngest can't attend that school, yet.

Also, what are some nice places for lunch?

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 02:34 PM

223 posts, read 824,097 times
there is a park right on route 118 in the center of town

Old 03-06-2009, 08:24 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,171,307 times
Downing Park has 3 playgrounds and a picnic area (as well as tennis courts, fields, and trails that lead into FDR Park). It is on 202/35 just north of the center of YH. In the center of town, there is a nice playground behind the Community Center and Yorktown Stage. This park also has a playing field and a track. Also in the center of YH, Railroad Station Park has a small playground and the North County Trailway runs right through it, so it is a good place for biking, scooting, etc. Also right in town is Junior Lake Park, which has a nice playground too (and one of the town pools). There are a number of other parks and playgrounds in YH, but those are probably the most popular. If you're looking for more nature, just south of the center of town is the Turkey Mountain Nature Preserve, which has stunning hiking trails. The Hanover Hilltop Farm just outside of town is also a park open to the public, with a working farm and lots of wonderful trails.

For lunch, it depends on what you want. The Bistro is pretty good. There's a good sushi place, a good hibachi place, Chinese, a few good Italian restaurants, Murphy's, pizza, and a good sandwich and salad place.

There are a couple of good Montessori schools in town which have toddler programs. And the Yorktown Community Nursery School is supposed to be excellent. There are a number of daycare centers, and the Seed is certainly very popular.

Hope that helps!

Old 03-07-2009, 07:45 AM

8 posts, read 40,486 times
Thank you so much for all of the info!!!

Old 03-20-2009, 08:01 AM

3 posts, read 7,534 times
I live in somers a town right next to yorktown heights i like it better for children. This is an area where halloween is like the best ever for children also they can ride thier bikes on the streets here very little traffic . We are a lake community and also have a lot of children on all the blocks we have somers schools which i am very happy with my son in the 7 and my daughter in the 4. Lots of shopping and reis park a few miles away. Plenty of day care centers. Let me know if you are visting soon if you can choose yorktown or somers i would weigh the both out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by julie2x View Post
this is a very informative forum!

We are seriously considering a move to yorktown heights in the near future. My family and i want to explore the area in the upcoming week --- can anyone tell me a nice place for a family with 2 pre-school aged children to go play? We want to be able to meet some other families to get a 'feel' for the area.

I would also appreciate any recommendations for childcare... I've heard of "the seed" and will visit it soon -- but the youngest age they accept is 2yrs9mo and my youngest can't attend that school, yet.

Also, what are some nice places for lunch?

Thank you!!:d
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County