U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 03:22 PM

7 posts, read 44,177 times

Advertisements

Can someone tell me about the different neighborhoods within Scarsdale? How are they different and if all the elementary schools are comparable? Thanks,
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2007, 07:12 AM

185 posts, read 1,126,437 times
Hi I grew up in scarsdale. THere are five different neighborhoods --- all great; Fox Meadow, Greenacres, Quaker ridge, edgewood, murray hill. OUt of these probably the area with smaller houses would be edgewood. Very high taxes but all excellent schools --small classes with top-notch resources (computers etc) teachers with high degrees. I don't believe there is much difference in the elementary schools as i only went to one of them and don't know much more about the other ones. If you can afford to live there it is a wonderful place to raise a family. If you want to send me a private message that is ok. Glad to help. Good luck!

Old 03-23-2007, 09:27 AM

2,806 posts, read 15,488,130 times
Doesn't Scarsdale have two separate high schools? I think one is slightly better than the other in the rankings (but in reality it will probably be hard to notice the difference).

Old 03-23-2007, 10:22 AM

185 posts, read 1,126,437 times
No Scarsdale has one high school "scarsdale high school" I think you are refering one of the neighboring towns. Possibly Ardsley which has good schools as well. But they are not scarsdale.

Old 04-11-2007, 02:34 PM

4 posts, read 28,969 times
Edgemont has the same zip code as Scarsdale but a separate High School. It is an excellent but much smaller school district

Old 04-11-2007, 02:59 PM

131 posts, read 743,367 times
Default Scarsdale

Hi, I'm living in Scarsdale right now and grew up here, too.
The previous posters are right; there are five elementary schools and all are excellent. I really don't think you need to worry about differences in quality between them. There is one middle school and one high school. My kids are at the MS and HS right now and are getting excellent educations.
The different elementary school areas can be quite different from one another. Edgewood is really divided into two "neighborhoods," Arthur Manor and Drake/Edgewood. Both neighborhoods go to the Edgewood elementary school. The houses in Arthur Manor are on somewhat smaller lots (say, 50 x 100) and may be of somewhat smaller square footage than the ones in D/E. That said, of course, it being Scarsdale, even the "cheapest" houses in Arthur Manor are in the high $600,000s. I really like both Arthur Manor and D/E because they have a real "neighborhood" feel. I like having the houses close enough together so you can actually meet and know your neighbors. Some of the other neighborhoods have much, much larger (e.g., mansion-like) houses and I think it must be harder to meet neighbors there.
You also need to think about whether you want proximity to the train station for commuting. The Heathcote and Quaker Ridge neighborhoods are quite far from the station (relatively speaking.) There is a bus that goes down to the village but I'm not sure it serves all areas of Scarsdale. Parking at the station is extremely limited so you need to think about that before you buy.
Feel free to PM me for more info!
Karen

Old 10-12-2007, 05:11 PM

3 posts, read 14,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen824 View Post
The previous posters are right; there are five elementary schools and all are excellent. I really don't think you need to worry about differences in quality between them. There is one middle school and one high school. My kids are at the MS and HS right now and are getting excellent educations.
The different elementary school areas can be quite different from one another. Edgewood is really divided into two "neighborhoods," Arthur Manor and Drake/Edgewood. Both neighborhoods go to the Edgewood elementary school. The houses in Arthur Manor are on somewhat smaller lots (say, 50 x 100) and may be of somewhat smaller square footage than the ones in D/E. That said, of course, it being Scarsdale, even the "cheapest" houses in Arthur Manor are in the high $600,000s. I really like both Arthur Manor and D/E because they have a real "neighborhood" feel. I like having the houses close enough together so you can actually meet and know your neighbors. Some of the other neighborhoods have much, much larger (e.g., mansion-like) houses and I think it must be harder to meet neighbors there.
You also need to think about whether you want proximity to the train station for commuting. The Heathcote and Quaker Ridge neighborhoods are quite far from the station (relatively speaking.) There is a bus that goes down to the village but I'm not sure it serves all areas of Scarsdale. Parking at the station is extremely limited so you need to think about that before you buy.
Feel free to PM me for more info!
Karen
Hi Karen,

We are moving to NY from MD. Looking at Scarsdale for its good schools. Could you please tell me which area is the closest to the train station? And how long it'd take to get to the train station? Thanks! - SCM

Old 10-13-2007, 12:30 PM

2,400 posts, read 5,385,056 times
Scarsdale is not for everybody. The primary reason people move there is for the schools. So most parents have very high expectations for their children, and they want that Ivy League bumper stickers. Unfortunately, plenty of children whose parents are bright and wealthy just are not academic. So plenty of SHS grads end up going to "average" colleges. In other words, SHS (or any high school) does not guarantee academic success. And this is a great disappointment to many Scarsdale parents.

Personally, I would rather live in a community that has more economic diversity and is less of a pressure-cooker environment. Most "average" school districts send plenty of kids to great colleges.

Old 10-13-2007, 02:43 PM

2,775 posts, read 10,906,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen824 View Post
I live there too and I'm in high school. 11th grade.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:05 PM

9,341 posts, read 26,595,720 times
In case you, or someone else, wanted to know, Scarsdale is one of only 5 coterminous town-villages in NYS.

For more about these 5 coterminous town-villages, go here:

The 5 coterminous town-villages in NYS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County