Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2009, 08:41 AM

2 posts, read 7,051 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I have one month training with IBM research center in yorktown heights, westchester county, NY.

My question is what are the preferred cities to stay in while this month? and how can I find host families or rooms for rent in this area?

Another question is I will be using public transportation but I don't know anything, for example, can I live in White Plain and go every day to yorktown heights by bus or train within 50 min or less? Where can i find information about public transportation in westchester?

Please do help me
Thanks in advance
AD7D7
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 02:59 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,190,293 times
The IBM campus in Yorktown Heights is on route 134. It's a 10 to 15 minute drive from Mt. Kisco, Chappaqua, Yorktown Heights, Pleasantville, or Ossining—all of which are nice places to spend a month. It's also right off of the Taconic Parkway, so White Plains and Tarrytown shouldn't take more than 30 minutes in rush hour. On the con side, the Westchester bus line http://www.beelinebus.com/ does not seem to travel along Route 134, so taking the bus is not an option. I suggest renting a car. If that isn't an option, you can stay nearby and use taxis (which will cost a lot). As for finding a rental for one month, I don't know--but try asking IBM, they probably have suggestions. You can also look in the Journal News and Craig's List.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:36 PM

11,292 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Craigslist is by far your best bet for short-term room rentals, though be a bit careful with it.

In most places, I'd say just find an inexpensive budget motel chain and make sure your room has internet access, a microwave and a mini-fridge, but that doesn't exist up there (Peekskill Motor Inn is nice, but you'll need to rent a car to get to Yorktown Heights and because they're pretty much the only game up there, very expensive, probably just under $100/night....all the other hotels/motels are along I-287 between Tarrytown and White Plains and they're not exactly $40/night either (if they were, I'm sure people would live in them as they'd be as cheap as some small apartments). Good luck!

Old 06-21-2009, 05:20 AM

2 posts, read 7,051 times
dma1250 and 7 Wishes

thank you so much for your help. Well, it seems transportation will be an issue. you did not say anything about host families, is it recommended?

Old 06-21-2009, 06:07 AM

11,292 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Don't know much about host families except that many families in the area do have au pairs, foreign (and usually young like early 20s) people who live there for a year or two to be a nanny to the kids. Probably less now with the economy and all......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County