Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2009, 08:50 AM

866 posts, read 2,484,065 times

Advertisements

So we've been looking for houses in a few towns in Westchester, and there is one beautiful one that we love in Scarsdale - new construction, nice lot, quiet dead-end street, great neighborhood, and we can get it for a steal. But here's the issue: the street is fairly short and opens up onto a busy road. Double yellow lines. And there is no sidewalk on that side of the street. If you want to walk anywhere you'd have to cross the busy street to the side walk on the other side. And where would our son ride his bike?

Are we being silly to give up this absolutely gorgeous home because of this? Has anyone ever heard of someone getting a town to put in a sidewalk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 10:28 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,390,804 times
Much of Scarsdale does not have sidewalks and the town does not want them, to preserve the quasi-rural character that pervades in most areas of the town. That's why it's heavily wooded, has narrower streets that curve, and why it does not have too many sidewalks. So, it could be difficult to get approved, even if you paid for it, since I doubt it would be constructed at town expense. Thus, I would not buy a house based upon that hope, but if you can take your son to the park, ride on the driveway if it's large enough, perhaps construct some sort of multi-use paved court within town code, that might be an option.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:19 AM

17 posts, read 52,555 times
I think being able to go for a nice walk in you neighborhood is really important. And you shouldn't have to worry about your kids riding their bikes.
There may also be a noise factor coming from the main road.

I would have done the same as you and not bought, unless I had no other choices and have been looking for a long time.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:26 AM

295 posts, read 1,505,177 times
Default depends

It depends on how much of a steal...

Sure... location will decrease the value of the house if it is on or near a busy street...but it sounded like you are on a short dead end street, which has its benefits.

As for bikes...it depends on your kid. I lived grew up by a busy street & only rode my bike in the parks.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:38 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,524,450 times
I have a friend who lives in a similar setting. I would never choose that location, but they don't seem to mind and the houses keep selling at pretty high prices.

And yes, you can organize a movement to put in a sidewalk through town government. Whether you will get the support you need is unknown. And if you sail into town agitating for things people might look at you a little strangely, but....

Old 03-11-2009, 11:59 AM

701 posts, read 3,324,980 times
It's certainly not a stupid reason -- You need to decide on your priorities.
But you should also consider the nature of the town you're looking at. Some towns and some neighborhoods are very walkable, with lots of sidewalks. Other towns are not really meant to be walked. Though Scarsdale has a nice walking village near the train station, most single-family house residents drive everywhere.

There are many people who would decline to buy a house on a double-yellow line street. Yes, the safety concerns for children are legitimate. Noise and traffic issues are legitimate.

But in terms of being "close" to a double-yellow-line street-- I wouldn't personally see it as a major issue, unless there was significant noise from the street that polluted the home. (But that's me)
Sounds like your children could bicycle right on the short dead end street.

You can always try to get the town to put sidewalks in, but I wouldn't count on getting very far. That's a matter, of possibly looking in other towns that are more friendly towards walking.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:07 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,190,894 times
I specifically did not want to be on a street with sidewalks--that is far too suburban for me. Personally, you are either in the village with small lots and sidewalks or you are in a rural area with narrow roads and no sidewalks. Anything in between is not for me.

But being able to go for nice walks was important to us, so we were carfeul to pick a mellow street with only moderate trafffic. We took walks on the street before we bought it and discovered that it is one of the most popular roads around for walkers and bikers (people drive here and park to take walks or bike ride). We go for walks on our road almost every weekend--it is quite gorgeous and I love walking on it almost as much as I like walking in the woods behind the house or in the nearby nature preservs. I would not let my 8 year old bike on the road alone, but he will be able to bike on it in a few years, as soon as he gains more control.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:38 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,524,450 times
Good point about thinking about exactly what you want from a house. I've always preferred a village setting. It's more friendly, fun, convenient, and walking friendly. You get less house and lot for your money, but for my family the benefits outweigh that loss.

My kids are in 4th and 5th grade and they have the run of the neighborhood, can walk to all their friends' houses, walk to school, stores, parks, library, train, etc. It's ideal. I love my neighborhood! (I live in the most fabulous town, Brookline, Mass.)

Old 03-13-2009, 07:25 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,457,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
Good point about thinking about exactly what you want from a house. I've always preferred a village setting. It's more friendly, fun, convenient, and walking friendly. You get less house and lot for your money, but for my family the benefits outweigh that loss.

My kids are in 4th and 5th grade and they have the run of the neighborhood, can walk to all their friends' houses, walk to school, stores, parks, library, train, etc. It's ideal. I love my neighborhood! (I live in the most fabulous town, Brookline, Mass.)
The question is what to do if the area where you want to live in doesn't have sidewalks and nice village centers? Its common in the US to be near motorways or in rural areas. Both of these environments were built for cars with no consideration for pedestrians. The places where you can safely walk or ride a bicycle (like Brookline) are in minority.
To the op - its not a silly question. The other question you have to ask yourself is what are the alternatives and only then make a final decision.

Last edited by oberon_1; 03-13-2009 at 07:35 PM..

Old 03-15-2009, 08:43 PM

622 posts, read 1,723,719 times
I can't think of too many places in Scarsdale that have sidewalks actually. Are there any roads nearby that he can ride on? Thinking back to my childhood, I rode all over the residential roads, I didn't stay by my house, so is immediately in front of your house really that important?
Just pedaling fyi- the bike trail along the Bronx River Parkway is a nice place to ride a bicycle, and Bicycle Sundays are always great- when they close the parkway and you can pedal all the way up to the Kensico Dam if you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County