U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2009, 11:59 AM

3 posts, read 6,716 times

Advertisements

We are being relocated from a very family-friendly town in IL to the NY area. My husband will be working in Queens and we need to narrow our choices down (NY/NJ/CT). Westchester sounds nice but the tax rate is concerning, to put it lightly. Our price range is around $650K and the two most important criteria are: school system and commute to Queens (anything under an hour). I would really like to find a 4 bdrm house in a family friendly town that isn't congested (traffic-wise). Is this possible to find? If so, what towns (please include the states they are in) might come close? Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 12:04 PM

7,079 posts, read 36,405,706 times
I guess my first question is why are you looking in Westchester? Because no matter how you work it, getting to Queens can be quite a trip, unless you're in someplace like Pelham. And Connecticut and NJ are even worse.

While I'm not a big fan of the place, did you consider Long Island?

Old 03-20-2009, 12:52 PM

295 posts, read 1,432,528 times
Default agree w above

Honestly, I agree with the above post.

I know the commute to Queens very well. From White Plains...it takes at least 30 minutes to make it to Queens going very fast (over speed limit) without traffic. I would say...a more realistic time is 45 minutes...and that's just over the Queens bridges... This will make CT hard too. Add in traffic...it's not pretty...

Take a good look at NY: esp areas in Queens itself (Bayside, Whitestone, ect)... which do have good school systems and can be very pretty...though with your post about a 4 bedroom house, may be small...and perhaps (but the market changes) over your price range. Just over the Long Island Border, there are great areas with great school systems...though also pricey and with taxes that match Westchester.

Good luck

Old 03-20-2009, 01:12 PM

701 posts, read 3,120,665 times
Depends where in Queens. I used to commute from Chappaqua to Jackson Heights, and it was only about 45 minutes each way. But overall, Long Island will give you a better Queens commute, than Westchester.

As long as you stick close to 684 or the Hutch, the commute to Queens won't be too bad.

650k for a 4-bedroom house, in a good school district in Westchester. 2 years ago, you would basically have been out of luck. Nowadays, that's still tight, but you will find options. It would be on the long side of your commute, but for non-congested, open area, with good schools, and in your price range-- Try the Somers area, specifically parts of Somers that are close to I-684. That could give you about an hour commute into Queens. Property taxes are a tad lower in Somer than other parts of Westchester. You will find a decent selection of nice 4-bedroom houses in your price range.

Pelham was also mentioned. I'm less familiar with Pelham, but it has an excellent reputation. It would give you a much better commute into Queens. But where Somers is rural/suburban, Pelham is far less rural. Homes are more expensive in Pelham, but surprisingly affordable for Westchester. So you would find a few choices in your price range.

If you're willing to accept tiny 4-bedroom houses with other issues, then your price range could open up lots of other towns as well.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:12 PM

8 posts, read 19,826 times
If you set on working in Queens, I would look in Pelham and also in the Country Club section of the Bronx right next to the Throgs Neck. The area is lovely and safe and house prices are falling so you can probably find something nice in the area.

If you need to take the Whitestone, then look around the Hutchinson River Parkway at towns such as New Rochelle.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:31 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,959,218 times
Exclamation Don't Cross Any Bridges!!!

If you are going to work in Queens...don't look in Westchester...New Jersey...or anywhere else but Long Island...you could try Floral Park...the Nassau side...the schools use to be great...not sure now...but that only takes a visit to the school...then you have Great Neck and several other areas...

The taxes will be higher on Long Island...but at least you can deduct them off your taxes...take it from me...that commuting over a bridge every day DUCKS......and there is no way to avoid it...and the price for crossing the bridge is only going up...as well as the time you have to sit on line waiting to pay your toll... www.ezpass.com (http://www.ezpass.com - broken link) you can try this site to see what it will cost daily to cross the bridge...

Old 05-02-2009, 08:28 PM

3 posts, read 6,185 times
I agree..I would also recommend northeast queens (bayside, douglaston, little neck) for the shortest commute or out on long island...LI has better schools but the taxes will kill ya...in queens, you'll probably pay around $3800 in taxes while on LI, you'll pay around $10k. good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County