U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2009, 01:47 PM

375 posts, read 1,479,785 times

Advertisements

I know there are 5 elementary schools in Scarsdale. I looked around Greenacres, Fox Meadow, and Edgewood. The other two, Heathcote and Quaker Ridge, I only know them by name. Having driven by the first three that I mentioned, I kind of have a general sense of the areas... which is that Edgewood seems to be the more modest (by scarsdale standards) of the three. Am I correct in this assesment?

There are several rentals available in the district and depending on which one, we will either be at Fox Meadow or Edgewood. Understanding that we will probably the only ones renting in the area, is there anything else this forum can tell us regarding the two places? Are we going to feel like bums because we are renting?

By the way, why is there such high percentage of Asian population at Edgewood, something like 25%. We are Asian also so I think this would be good for our son, but I was just curious. I'm getting this information from schoolmatters.com
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 07:20 PM

305 posts, read 1,808,440 times
Edgewood is a very nice section of Scarsdale. It is more modest (by Scarsdale definition) than other sections but the neighborhood and the people are lovely. My SIL lives there and every year they hold a block party which I normally attend. Everyone that I have met so far from Edgewood is nice, down to earth, community oriented and classy. I do not think you will feel like a *bum* among them. My SIL is very happy with the schools. The only thing she complains about is the fact that there is no parking since they encourage people to walk to school, and when there is bad weather, its a bit of nightmare. Other than that, she absolutely loves her neighborhood. Good Luck.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:16 AM

375 posts, read 1,479,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyyanks View Post
Edgewood is a very nice section of Scarsdale. It is more modest (by Scarsdale definition) than other sections but the neighborhood and the people are lovely. My SIL lives there and every year they hold a block party which I normally attend. Everyone that I have met so far from Edgewood is nice, down to earth, community oriented and classy. I do not think you will feel like a *bum* among them. My SIL is very happy with the schools. The only thing she complains about is the fact that there is no parking since they encourage people to walk to school, and when there is bad weather, its a bit of nightmare. Other than that, she absolutely loves her neighborhood. Good Luck.
Thank you for that info. Just on my initial impression, I liked Edgewood the best, simply because it is a world closer to how I grew up... well to do, but not super loaded.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:20 PM

68 posts, read 310,143 times
Don't worry you will not be one of the only ones renting. There are many Japanese families in both the Fox Meadow and Edgewood schools. Although many houses are on the smaller side in Edgewood (ie: some starting at 1500 sf) this size suits many Asian families who are here from overseas. It is much easier to care for a smaller house, plus it gives the neighborhood a cozier feel when the houses are in closer vicinity. Also it is commonly known that the overseas families typically rent a home while they are in the US so there is no stigma or negative perception whether you are here from overseas or another state. However I would suggest that either way, you get involved with the school and volunteer in the community to make connections with people so that they see you as establishing roots - and not just being there as a temporary resident.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:15 AM

1 posts, read 8,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyyanks View Post
Well i no for a fact that Heathcote is the more modest (by scarsdale definition) they r the best in sports, the most popular people come from there, but closely in second is defenitly is edgwood.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:58 PM

844 posts, read 2,275,336 times
I think actually that Heathcote may be considered the most wealthy area of Scarsdale, simply because it contains the "estate section" of the town ie. the really big homes with lots of land commanding many millions of dollars. The whole of Heathcote isn't like that though, the area right behind the school's playground is more "modest", with "smaller" homes on smaller plots of land (remember, everything is relative).

Quaker Ridge seems to me to be far from most of Scarsdale, if that makes sense. The elementary school is south of the Hutch for crying out loud. It's a hike to the middle school and high school from there. The homes do have larger lots though, and you're closer to Mamaroneck.

P.S We're looking to buy in Scarsdale, so these are my impressions from several house-hunting trips.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:58 AM

131 posts, read 762,272 times
Default Edgewood

I grew up in Edgewood and moved back to live there with my own family--we lived there from 2000-2007 until we moved upstate to be near my husband's family. I agree with the above poster that you definitely won't be the only ones renting, and shouldn't feel at all odd about it. It is a very friendly neighborhood and the neighborhood association is quite active; there are several activities throughout the year in Davis Park.

One thing I would mention is that if you can find a house to rent that is on the school side of Boulevard (e.g., farther from Eastchester), it is a bit easier for the kids to walk to school. Boulevard is a busy street, farther from the school and there are not that many crossing guards. Middle-schoolers take the bus to school but high schoolers have to walk or be driven unless they live at the furthest reaches of Edgewood, then I think there was one bus that took those kids to the HS. Just something to bear in mind.

Edgewood is also convenient if anyone commutes to NYC; there is a bus that runs down Boulevard to the train station in the morning; it's very convenient. Parking at the Scarsdale station is quite expensive and it's good to avoid having to do it if you can.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:04 PM

6 posts, read 52,542 times
IF you want population diversity, I would opt for both Edgewood or Fox Meadow. You are definately correct in your accessment. I live in Heathcote and do not see much diversity here. Multicultural club either small or non-existent in Heathcote. Both Edgewood and Fox Meadow are very good school districts. It also depends on what your kids like in terms of sports. Sports for boys are big here in Heathcote while girls' sport is stronger in Edgewood. Don't know why but that's my assessment. I don't know if your broker told you this but the only Elementary school in Scarsdale with a cafeteria that offers hot food is Quaker Ridge Elementary School, all other Elementary Schools get their food from outside vendors. Hope that helps.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:40 PM

24 posts, read 110,066 times
anybody knows about the Crane Berkley area of Edgewood?

Old 04-23-2009, 06:19 PM

68 posts, read 310,143 times
Crane Berkelely is in a beautifully set area with a duck pond and large manicured homes. It's a nice area for walking, jogging and is close to a large soccer field with children's playground. Taunton Road residents attend Edgewood while Tisdale Road residents attend Fox Meadow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>