Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2009, 11:57 PM

16 posts, read 112,102 times

Advertisements

I had posted months ago but our situation has changed and so I've updated our needs.

I am getting married in August and my fiance and I are looking to RENT a 1 bedroom apartment. I work in Hastings on Hudson. My fiance goes to school in Dobbs Ferry and works in NYC. I was interested in the studios or 1 bdrms at Avalon communities but after reading the TERRIBLE reviews on apartmentratings.com I think I may have to reconsider but I did like that there was laundry and a gym.

Our budget would be approx. $1100 - $1500(depending on whats included) per month for a studio (that allows 2 ppl) or 1 bedroom.

What areas should we look into?...we don't need train access(we BOTH have cars so 2 car PARKING is a big deal)....we don't need "good" schools b/c kids are not in our immediate future (like 8 to 10 yrs away).

We need SAFE, QUIET, & PARKING. I also don't want any tall buildings more private home, townhouse, garden apartment style places. I don't like elevators or PETS.

Thanks in advanced for any help you can share.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 12:18 PM

anyone?

Old 05-01-2009, 03:08 PM

11,247 posts, read 18,736,805 times
First off, with an $1100-1500 budget you are considering Avalon? I think even studios are $2K (though I've heard that in New Rochelle they actually now rent some floors to Iona College students at a discount to fill the place).

My personal recommendation given your budget and the fact that kids are far in the future is the Fleetwood section of Mt. Vernon. Lots of apartments (many are coops, but you can find some rentals, and it is the high rises that are coops, the rentals are mostly the kinds of buildings you describe), lots of cute shops in walking distance, easy access to highways (and train access to Manhattan) and because people with kids avoid it due to the school system (more on this later), the best real estate and apartment rental prices in the county (and unlike equally cheap Yonkers, no city income tax).

Now the schools. People perceive Mt. Vernon as a poor "ghetto" and if they have kids avoid the school district and that is not true of Fleetwood in any definition of the word. And in this part of town the elementary schools are fine. So you would have years to worry about any issue with kids anyway.

I hope that helped!

Old 05-05-2009, 11:22 PM

Thank you so much for replying I will def look into Fleetwood. The Avalon buildings had apts in the $1500 to $1600 range but that included washer /dryer in the units, gym membership, and parking. $1100 is our starting if none of those other things would be included. If an apt had amenities then we could go higher with the rent.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:11 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,457,771 times
How far are you willing to commute?

7 Wishes advice about Fleetwood was good, and I would definitely check that out. A co-worker lives in that area in one of the high rise buildings, and it's a decent, safe area (much nicer than the southern end of Mt. Vernon). Most of the buildings I've seen there do seem to be older, high rise style buildings, but maybe I just haven't seen many of the others.

If you're willing to go a bit farther north, you might want to look at the Amberlands in Croton-on-Hudson. It's about 34 min from Hastings by car according to Google maps. You should surely be able to get a 1 BR within your price range there. There's no exercise room or pool there like at the Avalon developments, but parking shouldn't be an issue, and there is one washer and dryer available in the building for each 6 apartments.

Plusses of this community:
  • Reasonable rents (by Westchester standards)
  • Supermarket and 2 banks very nearby
  • Easy access to Route 9/9A and Metro North Hudson line
  • 3 story buildings with small patios or terraces
  • No city tax
  • Safe area
  • Free (outdoor) parking on site
Negatives of this community:
  • Nightlife is practically non-existent. You're about 30 min from White Plains.
  • Longer commute to NYC, Hastings and Dobbs Ferry
  • Buildings seem to be constructed more like homes than traditional apartment buildings; you'll definitely know when the people upstairs are home.
Sorry I can't recommend other specific apartments. The ones that I'm familiar with are older high-rise buildings. If I were looking for an apartment now, I'd check the listings in the Gannett newspapers or the Pennysaver.

Old 05-10-2009, 03:00 PM

7 posts, read 24,367 times
Also, try the Avalon in WP. This is a brand new building and from what I hear they are giving deals to due all the competition in the area.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:10 PM

Thank you manyroads. My aunt lives in Croton. The commute would be too much for my fiance to get to work though bc he drives to the lower east side of the city.

Anyone know anything about Hastings Garden apartments? or those Bryn Mawr ones on Central Ave in Yonkers?

Old 05-12-2009, 08:44 AM

I had looked at the Bryn Mawr apartments a few years ago on the suggestion of a friend. I am almost certain that they are all co-ops now; if you wanted to get a rental, you'd have to find an owner who wanted to rent out his/her unit.
A lot of people commute by train from Croton into NYC (there's a large station at Croton-Harmon and another at Cortlandt). Of course, once your fiance reached Grand Central, he'd still have to take a subway or bus downtown.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:33 PM

The system won't let me edit my last post for some reason, but I wanted to add that if you're considering Bryn Mawr on Central Ave, something else you should think about is the traffic noise there. Bryn Mawr is right next to the Sprain Brook Pkwy, Central Avenue and not far from the Major Deegan Expressway (I-87). I rented a room in a friend's house a couple blocks east of Central Avenue off Tuckahoe Rd, and believe me, with your windows open at night you could definitely hear the trucks over on the Major Deegan, not to mention the motorcycles zooming up and down Central Ave. There's also a firehouse a few blocks away, and sometimes I felt like I was in Manhattan with the frequent sound of the sirens rushing through the area. If you're looking for someplace quiet, you might want to look elsewhere.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyroads View Post
The system won't let me edit my last post for some reason, but I wanted to add that if you're considering Bryn Mawr on Central Ave, something else you should think about is the traffic noise there. Bryn Mawr is right next to the Sprain Brook Pkwy, Central Avenue and not far from the Major Deegan Expressway (I-87). I rented a room in a friend's house a couple blocks east of Central Avenue off Tuckahoe Rd, and believe me, with your windows open at night you could definitely hear the trucks over on the Major Deegan, not to mention the motorcycles zooming up and down Central Ave. There's also a firehouse a few blocks away, and sometimes I felt like I was in Manhattan with the frequent sound of the sirens rushing through the area. If you're looking for someplace quiet, you might want to look elsewhere.

Thanks for this info. Hmmm its back to the drawing board......So as of right now I am searching Fleetwood, I drove around the area and it was okay.

What about Larchmont, Rye (not near Portchester), Scarsdale, or Bronxville? With the market in the pooper do you think we could find something for like $1200 to $1500/$1600 in these areas for a 1 bdrm? We were driving around and I really liked the feel of northern Larchmont with that strip of restaurants, its VERY quiet, and it has a starbucks. lol I've also been searching online and saw some Garth road ones within our range.

Ack!!! Still so clueless!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County