U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2009, 06:16 PM

2 posts, read 5,185 times

Advertisements

Hello to everyone. Im new to the post and from reading some of the threads its seems like there are alot of knowledgeable people with some good info. In a nutshell....I dont want to move back from Puerto Rico but due to my fathers health issues I have to(I am the only child). Just to be close and be the good son. I own a condo in PR that I just bought a little over a year ago. My plans are to rent it. I'm a Bronx boy thick and thru but I do not wannna move back to the Bronx. My parents are still there. I wanna be close enough but far enough to establish my own life and identity. I am single, no kids and atleast for the forseeable future(couple of years) plan to keep it like that. I am in law enforcement and will be making what I believe to be is a decent salary even for NY standards. I am basically looking for a 1 BR condo/co-op. Price range would be max $200,000. I would prefer something nice in the $150's, just in case I cant rent or sell the condo in PR. I know it limits things but from what I've seen on the web its doable. What are the best places in a decent commuting distance to the City and to the Bronx all at the same time? I also would like to settle someplace where when it is time to start a family that its a good place for that. Hopefully I didnt confuse anybody and hopefully someone can give me some guidance. Thank you in advance and I look forward to your input.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 09:40 AM

490 posts, read 1,690,049 times
Hi prnydusm,

Moving to help out with your Pop is something very nice you are doing.

Condo wise in your price range I can only think of Yonkers which is very close to the Bronx. I personally don't like Yonkers much because it is considered to have a higher crime rate for Westchester standards.

If you focus into co-ops, your options are plenty. I don't know if you are looking for a quiet town or a diverse vibrant city or how far from the Bronx is OK to be so here are a few choices:

White Plains is one to be considered. Some 20 minutes by car from North Bronx via Bronx River Parkway. If you are not committed, it is a nice place for singles. Once you start a family, it continues to be great, specially if you live in the most residential parts. There is great public transport to the Bronx if you needed it. WP is my fav place in Westchester Cty. You can only afford a co-op there but you should be able to find something bet 160-180K (which is still a lot to me!). If you want to be even closer to the Bronx, then you can consider New Rochelle. I have never lived there but I understand it has nice parts and sufficient co-ops. Both WP and NR are very diverse cities.

For a more quiet pace of life, you should explore Harrison and Mamaroneck. These have a smaller stock of co-ops but are very nice and clean towns. They are a bit further but no more than 25-30 minutes from the Bronx on the I95 side by car. They have Metro North stations which service the Fordham area of the Bronx. And there is also West Harrison which is closer to WP so about the same distance to the Bronx.

I hope this helps for now. Once you decide which place to target, you should post for information on specific areas.

Good luck

Old 04-14-2009, 10:17 AM

701 posts, read 3,111,416 times
My first thought was White Plains and Hartsdale. Both should have options in your budget, with an easy commute.
But then I thought Mamaroneck might be a better fit. Not quite as many co-ops, but there should be options in your price range. And it can be a nicer town to start a family in, better schools, etc.
Also, you can look at co-ops on Garth Road. It's Scarsdale p.o., but really Eastchester. You can walk to the village of Scarsdale, which is nice. And you will find singles and young families.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:37 AM

2 posts, read 5,185 times
Thank you to both of you.
I guess i'm looking for a bit of both quiet and diverse. Also I will be commuting to the city. Ambarstone I agree with you 160-180k is alot for a co-op...but I guess thats the price of being a New Yorker. I was actually looking at Yonkers myself something with a view of the Hudson so I dont miss PR much lol.....I will definately look into the other places that you mentioned and when I narrow them down will post again. Also I have another question would it be wiser for me to rent at first? or should I just take advantage of the way the market is and buy? Havoc is Eastchester itself a good place for what I'm looking for? Also what a bout Bronxville? Again guys thank you for responding to my thread any and all help is appreciated once again. If you guys ever need info on PR dont hesitate to ask, ok!!! BTW the rent or buy question is to both of you...just looking for different opinions and points of view.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:25 PM

490 posts, read 1,690,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prnydusm View Post
Thank you to both of you.
I guess i'm looking for a bit of both quiet and diverse. Also I will be commuting to the city. Ambarstone I agree with you 160-180k is alot for a co-op...but I guess thats the price of being a New Yorker. I was actually looking at Yonkers myself something with a view of the Hudson so I dont miss PR much lol.....I will definately look into the other places that you mentioned and when I narrow them down will post again. Also I have another question would it be wiser for me to rent at first? or should I just take advantage of the way the market is and buy? Havoc is Eastchester itself a good place for what I'm looking for? Also what a bout Bronxville? Again guys thank you for responding to my thread any and all help is appreciated once again. If you guys ever need info on PR dont hesitate to ask, ok!!! BTW the rent or buy question is to both of you...just looking for different opinions and points of view.
_
You are welcome!

Renting is a great idea. Just don't lock yourself on a long lease. You will need a place if you go for a co-op anyway, they usually take around three months to close.

I believe Bronxville is very expensive. Some places may say Bronxville zip code but they are really Yonkers (thus cheaper). See for yourself and have fun considering your options.

Agree with Havoc about Hartsdale. Cute place with sufficient options under 200K and its own train station. Schools have a bad rep but you are a long time away from dealing with that issue.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:41 PM

701 posts, read 3,111,416 times
I think it's a great time to buy, but nobody really knows for certain. Mortgage rates will eventually go up, so it's nice to be able to lock in a record-low mortgage rate. Prices have dropped significantly. Will they drop further? Perhaps, but probably not that much more. Nobody can ever know for certain. But as long as you are going to stay put for a minimum of 5 years, it's wise to buy. On the other hand, if you think you might want to move in less than 5 years, than renting could be the better option.

Affordable places in "Bronxville" are really Yonkers. Very easy commute. Puts you nearby to the very nice village of Bronxville. Bad schools, which may not be an issue for you. Bronxville has zero diversity, but not sure about the Bronxville/Yonkers areas.

Eastchester has fairly decent schools. As I said, you will find plenty of young families in the Garth Road apartments. But not a ton of diversity.

Mamaroneck, I still think is your best bet. It's a water front town (LI Sound) with some very nice parks. (Unlikely you will have an apartment overlooking the water though). Fairly good schools. And a good amount of diversity. For example, the High School is 15% Hispanic/Latino, which is a fair amount higher than some of the other areas being discussed. (Eastchester HS is 4%)

Good luck.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:11 AM

218 posts, read 547,369 times
The coops in White Plains near Old Mamaroneck Rd are definately worth looking in to (Saxon House, Gaylord, etc.) You should be able to find some options in your price range, and the area is kind of on the out skirts of downtown (i.e. a bit more quiet) and still a 5 min drive/15 minute walk to bars and restaurants. Plus, they build a large municipal garage a few years ago so parking is a million times easier than it used to be (you may have a hard time finding a building with assigned parking in this area).

Old 04-15-2009, 12:54 PM

718 posts, read 2,212,867 times
I know you dont want to move back to the Bronx, but what about apartment buildings in Riverdale? The prices are pretty good in that area and taxes arent as much as Westchester.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:30 PM

7,079 posts, read 36,327,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DITC View Post
I know you dont want to move back to the Bronx, but what about apartment buildings in Riverdale? The prices are pretty good in that area and taxes arent as much as Westchester.
No, the taxes aren't as high...but then there's NYC income tax.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:52 AM

10,380 posts, read 16,627,653 times
Why not Mt. Vernon? Prices are as cheap as Yonkers (and less than the other places), no Yonkers city income tax, excellent commuting options to NYC, very close to the Bronx, and despite what some people say on here in other forums, most areas north of the Metro North New Haven line tracks (and especially Fleetwood and areas north of the Cross County Parkway, though the latter doesn't have much apartments), are fine, especially if you do not have kids who are middle/high school age (nothing wrong with the elementary schools in those areas).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County