Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2009, 11:00 AM

14 posts, read 78,008 times

Advertisements

Are they all good? Also, does anyone know the school day hours and if there is busing? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 09:00 AM

413 posts, read 1,105,876 times
All of the elementary schools follow the same curriculum in Pelham. You can check out the NY State Report Cards for their performance on tests. Hutchinson is in north Pelham. It's the biggest and most diverse, economically and socially. Hutchinson also houses some special education populations. Colonial is very small. It does really well on standardized tests. Although Colonial is working hard on calling itself the 'friendly' school, its reputation is kind of snobby. It's probably the least diverse. Plus, it's about to undergo major construction. Space is an issue there for the next year or so. Siwanoy is also small, friendly and does really well on the tests. Prospect Hill serves the manor. It's very well run. It has a special program for autistic children, which is supposed to be outstanding. They all are excellent, and all feed into the same middle school and high school. You can't go wrong with any of the schools.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:14 PM

Default thanks!

do you know if there are buses for the pelham schools?

Old 04-22-2009, 06:41 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,029,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaSan View Post
do you know if there are buses for the pelham schools?
I went to Prospect Hill in 1962 and everyone walked. A Pelham resident laughed when I asked that question, thinking that perhaps fear of creeps or thugs might have changed attitudes since then. But this hasn't happened. Elementary buses are unknown, there's nowhere in Pelham that isn't considered walking distance from the elementaries and that's what people do, just like the olden days. Some parts of Pelham Manor are a little far from Prospect Hill and some parents do drop kids off.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:39 AM

The majority of Colonial kids walk. I love it. Although the kids complain, we get exercise, walk the dog, the kids play with their friends on the way. We also have really good conversations.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:43 PM

Default thanks!

i like the idea of walking, but i'm sure in reality in the winter i'll like it not as much!

Old 04-23-2009, 12:24 PM

I drove my kids until the youngest was 4. It was too difficult, otherwise. Sometimes, I still do, if it's really cold or rainy and we're all running late. But the majority of the time, we walk. It's one of the main reasons I stay here. I love living in a neighborhood where kids walk to school. My daughter had a friend from Purchase over who was thrilled about walking to town to buy a bagel. It's a good walking town.

Which school will your children be attending?

Old 04-23-2009, 08:55 PM

8 posts, read 21,002 times
No buses in Pelham, unfortunately...everyone drives their kids or walks. It's actually kind of quaint, in an old-world, Leave it to Beaver kind of way! Re elementary schools, PROSPECT is absolutely wonderful. Fabulous principal, good facility and fields, reasonable class size, strong faculty.
Signed,
A Happy Prospect Parent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County