Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2009, 06:58 PM

13 posts, read 44,321 times

Advertisements

I'm doing some research on Rockland and Westchester counties. I don't know much about Peekskill -- but enough to know people on the forums are very divided on if it's fantastic and arty or dumpy and dangerous. Either way, we want to visit the downtown and have a nice meal and look at a handful of homes on the market just to see what price gets us what kind of house. We're doing this in several areas and have no real opinion on Peekskill yet.

My question is -- what area in Peekskill is a safe place to live and possibly still walkable to the train? This is where we'd like to start looking at a few homes. If that's not possible, no big deal. Please name other areas you know of and like.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 07:38 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,191,452 times
Like most of NYC not so long ago, Peekskill is indeed "fantastic and arty" and "dumpy and dangerous" all at the same time. Which aspect is more prevalent depends on the beholder.

As for "nice" areas: The area south of Hudson Ave running from the highway up to Downing Park is nice. The area between Hudson Ave and Crompound Rd from about Union Ave all the way up the hill is very nice. Up the hill is the Mortgage Hill Area, which is very nice. North of Main Street, the area to the east of Fort Hill Park is the Fort Hill Historic District, which is very nice. Those areas are all attractive, safe, and worth a look.

Be sure to check out these must-see sites: The Peekskill Coffee House (http://peekskillcoffee.tumblr.com/ - broken link), Bean Runner Cafe, Paramount Center For the Arts, The Peekskill Brewery, and HVCCA: Hudson Valley Center for Contemporary Art. The Riverfront Green Park and Downing Park are also worth a look. Enjoy the trip.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:23 AM

13 posts, read 44,321 times
Thanks so much for all of your suggestions. We'll take a look. And I agree with your comment on it being dependent on the beholder. We would enjoy something grittier and edgier than what the rest of Westchester seems to offer. Not to mention cheaper.

But seeing the last threads, I figured I would get a lot of "Why does everyone love Peekskill so much?" comments...

Old 04-24-2009, 09:10 AM

95 posts, read 431,268 times
I would second all of dma's suggestions. In addition, you can also get a very tasty burger and sit outside for the lovely afternoon we are supposed to have at Kelly's, the bar that's in the train station. The Bean Runner Cafe has outdoor seating too. I also recommend stopping into Bruised Apple Books - New and Used Books, Records, CD's, and Movies, a great used book store in town.

We moved to Peekskill about 6 months ago for pretty much the same reasons you mentioned (looking for something a bit less suburban, more diverse and more affordable than the rest of Westchester). I think where we live is considered the edge of Mortgage Hill, a few blocks up the hill from the highschool near intersection of Hudson and Maple. I have walked to/from the train, but it takes me about 20 minutes or so (especially home since it's mostly uphill ) There is a nice Victorian (does need some work) for sale on Simpson that we went to see when we were looking. That would be a short walk to the train (only a few blocks), but I know less about that neighborhood.

There are definitely areas of town that are in need of some sprucing up (my own fixer of a house perhaps included in that), but since we've moved here, never found myself in circumstances where I haven't felt safe.

Good luck and happy exploring.

Last edited by NJGirl12; 04-24-2009 at 09:13 AM.. Reason: I hate typos

Old 04-27-2009, 11:13 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,355,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyork004 View Post
Thanks so much for all of your suggestions. We'll take a look. And I agree with your comment on it being dependent on the beholder. We would enjoy something grittier and edgier than what the rest of Westchester seems to offer. Not to mention cheaper.

But seeing the last threads, I figured I would get a lot of "Why does everyone love Peekskill so much?" comments...
I love it because it's where I'm from... but I'm sorry I don't have any helpful info to contribute because I haven't been there in quite a few years

Old 05-02-2009, 03:29 PM

26 posts, read 228,355 times
The OP writes about people's attitudes about Peekskill being "very divided on if it's fantastic and arty or dumpy and dangerous."

I dunno, since I've lived here in Peekskill only two years now.

But I wouldn't call it fantastic or arty or dumpy or dangerous...at least most parts of it.

Hyperbole doesn't quite work.

That said, I wouldn't want to live on or near Main Street, west of the library and city hall. O'wise, there are a range of nice to very nice neighborhoods. More well-taken-care-of working-class and lower middle-class homes here than I've seen in most places in the northeast.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:05 PM

1 posts, read 3,632 times
We have rented in Peekskill for the past 3 years and what looked charming and beautiful in the beginning has lost a lot of its luster. We are pretty much stuck here now because of the crappy job market and can't afford to move, but believe me, we are trying to get out.

There are some nice places in Peekskill, near Depew Park and closer to Cortlandt Manor (further away from the river), but go down the wrong block and you will be sorry. There are lots of dumpy houses crammed with illegal aliens and owned by greedy landlords who can't be bothered to make their properties look halfway decent... lots of loud, scary thugs at all hours of the night and God knows what else. A drive through town might give the illusion of a cute, artsy town - and I know they are trying - but it is simply a front. Their plans for developing the waterfront fell through and now who knows what the heck is going to happen down there. It's really sad because the town is so rich in history, right on the Hudson, but let me tell you, it is not going through the resurgance some people think it is. Not enough people care and there isn't enough money. Don't get me wrong - parts of Peekskill are great, particularly the parks, and some of the restaraunts. But I would not ever choose to buy a house there - the future of the city seems too uncertain.

Honestly, if you are looking at this area, I would suggest looking 12 miles north on Route 9 at Cold Spring. It's a beautiful, well-maintained town with a lot of character and history. Smaller than Peekskill in terms of the "town" part, but the "town" is nicer, and there's more variety. Beautiful houses and while more expensive than Peekskill in my opinion it's worth it. Also the taxes are less since it's in Putnam County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County