Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 04:21 PM

395 posts, read 1,617,730 times

Advertisements

We will be visiting Westchester County this coming week to look at homes in the following school districts: Irvington, Ardsley, Hastings, Eastchester, Pleasantville & Croton.

After reading all of the (somewhat heated) discussions on these boards, I am really confused about the mixed reviews for Eastchester schools. Currently the Greatschools website has the Eastchester district ranked at a 10 - how is this possible if the SAT scores are supposedly so mediocre?? By contrast, Ardsley and Irvington are ranked 9, Hastings and Croton are 8, and Dobbs is 7 (Pleasantville is 10 also).

Does this all mean that website rankings are useless? HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 04:28 PM

295 posts, read 1,505,002 times
Default school rankings

The ranking of schools has a high variability depending on what you look at:

Is it test scores, programs for kids with special needs, in-class technology, ethnic or economical diversity, ect?

Each individual factor can be researched...as well as parental opinions....so you come up with lots of data...but not one consensus on "best."

Old 04-10-2009, 04:34 PM

701 posts, read 3,324,584 times
Pretty close to useless at times. Those scores are based solely on passing rates of very basic proficiency tests. Some schools are able to boost their proficiency rates with intense test prep. 3rd graders not really learning reading or math in a broad way, but instead spending hours filling in bubbles in practice tests.

There are often school districts that find ways to superficially boost ratings.

For example, according to one prominent study, Yonkers was rated best high school in the county. I meN no offense to Yonkers. .. But come on.
What they did, was really push huge portions of students to take 1 supposed college level class, which boosted their ratings very quickly in a very short time.

Before someone gets mad at me, I am not saying Eastchester schools are poor. They have a pretty solid reputation overall. I am just saying to take those scores with a huge grain of salt.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:56 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
The other issue with Yonkers is that all of the city's schools are magnet schools, so Yonkers High, which offers an International Baccalaureate program (including uniforms and a code of conduct), ranks higher on standardized tests. Since the students at Yonkers High are consolidated from the other schools in the city, it explains the large achievement gap between this school and others in Yonkers.

Eastchester, in contrast, does not have that issue, and the town has three school districts: Bronxville, Eastchester, and Tuckahoe, that serve a smaller population. Eastchester is not bad by any stretch of the imagination, I agree. It's a solid district that performs well in terms of foundations in education. The population is not as achievement-focused, as a way of life, as some other districts in the area, and it does offer a well-rounded education. A motivated student will do perfectly well in Eastchester in comparison to the other districts that you're considering.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:37 PM

Thanks everyone. I just wanted to make sure that Eastchester wasn't a significantly weak link among the districts we are considering (understanding that the other schools are a notch or more above). I believe it's also the biggest of the lot, which will be a factor in our decision as well.

Interestingly, greatschools has all 3 Eastchester districts at a 10, and the site does state that this is based on test scores. I had always assumed that college entrance exams were part of that, not just state standard tests, so that info is good to know. Thanks again!

Old 04-10-2009, 05:50 PM

701 posts, read 3,324,584 times
Bronxville is one of the most prestigious towns and schools. Very wealthy, old money, zero diversity.
Tuckahoe is a smaller area, schools have a good reputation, but I don't know a ton.
Eastchester has more of a working class reputation. Not a ton of diversity. While there are certainly expensive homes, it doesn't have the reputation of being "rich.".

I have heard some good things about Eastchester schools. But I also know some young Garth road families (Scarsdale po, Eastchester schools), who intend to move when their kids are school age.

Finally, greatschools does not consider college placement or entrance exams. It is simply a handful of very basic proficiency exams. As a result, a school with a 10 often is really no better than a school with a 7. But I would certainly avoid a school with a 3.

Last edited by havoc315; 04-10-2009 at 05:53 PM.. Reason: Additional info

Old 04-10-2009, 07:22 PM

68 posts, read 323,367 times
Default NY State Report Cards - Westchester

If you want a more in-depth look at school test performance results by way of numbers, percentages and graphs, take a look at the annual NY state school report cards to get a solid idea of how demographics tie into test scores. Here are links to 3 Westchester schools with particularly useful numerical info on pp. 13 -21 for each school report. You can find your way to info on the other schools off your list by going to
https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/County.do?year=2007&county=WESTCHESTER (broken link)

These scores are good indicators of how kids will perfom on future standardized tests including SATs. Looking way ahead, keep in mind that the standards of grading students (A through F and eventually the GPA) will depend on a school's own definition of difficulty and challenge especially when you get to middle and high school. That can be seen as a good thing when kids begin applying to colleges and when an "A" in World History from Bronxville will mean a different caliber of difficulty than an "A" in World History from a lower performing high school.

Also, a school's scores are very much a reflection of parental involvement and uniformity (or lack thereof). This includes their education, background, and ideals where socioeconomics and discipline have a big effect on overall test results.

Bronxville Elementary

https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb-rc...0303030003.pdf

Anne Hutchinson Elementary (Eastchester)

https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb-rc...0301030001.pdf

Bedford Rd. Elementary (Pleasantville)

https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb-rc...0809030002.pdf

Old 04-10-2009, 07:54 PM

Wow this is excellent - thanks so much Moxie!

Old 04-10-2009, 08:22 PM

68 posts, read 323,367 times
My pleasure! And good luck in your research!

Old 04-29-2009, 02:19 PM

6 posts, read 55,474 times
You might consider looking at the current issue of the Westchester Magazine Ranking. Actually Yonker schools got ranked better than both Edgemont and Scarsdale. I think every magazine uses a different ranking system. It all depends on what you are looking for in a school? Eastchester is a good school system, it is more of a mid-size school. Talk with your real estate agent, they should know about the school districts more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County