Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 04:09 PM

866 posts, read 2,484,877 times

Advertisements

If you need to take the train to work and move to a town where there is a waitlist for a parking permit, what do you do? Realistically? I really want to know what people do. Do their spouses drive them every day? Do you try to get to know all your neighbors to find out who has a permit and then offer them money for a ride every day? Are there other places to park (gas stations, other parking lots) charging an arm and a leg I assume?

I am specifically wanting to know about Rye. The home we are interested in is actually closer to the Harrison station, but Harrison only gives permits to residents. There is also daily parking, but I can't imagine doing that for years. Or do people save their quarters and do it? Are there places near the Rye/Harrison stations that will let you park for a fee? We have a baby and are trying for #2 and I just can't imagine it will be feasible for me to drive my husband to the station every morning, but maybe I'm being selfish and I need to suck it up.

This issue is causing us to question the logic of buying a house there, so any advice or information would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 05:24 PM

701 posts, read 3,325,529 times
There are some stations, like North White Plains, with ample parking for non-residents.
But yes, there is also carpooling, spouse dropoffs, etc, while you wait for the permit.

Old 05-02-2009, 06:41 AM

21 posts, read 98,432 times
Yes to quarters, yes to spouse drop-off, yes to gas station parking lots. When I moved here from the South, it was a bit of a shocker to learn what people put up with. Even with the higher salaries, I felt that my standard of living dropped because these type of quality of life issues.

Old 05-02-2009, 02:57 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,191,917 times
The best advice is to move somewhere close to a station with a large number of non-resident parking places, like the Croton-Harmon station. I don't think there is even a waiting list for non-resident permits. And if there is, there is always room in the daily parking--which does not have meters and therefore doesn't need any quarters.

Old 05-02-2009, 04:11 PM

305 posts, read 1,894,959 times
Yes to all. We hesitated buying our house because of the parking situation but got lucky because there was a space available at a nearby train station. I drive 10 minutes to a station and pay $1200/year to park my car.

When we were selling our house, a woman from the city was thinking of buying it but was concerned about the parking situation. Our realtor actually called around and found a gas station at the same place where I was parking that had spaces available. If you really want that house then you may have to sacrifice a little - get up a bit earlier, take public transportation to the train station, pay a car service, drive 15-20 minutes to another train station etc - until a space opens up. Good Luck.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:07 AM

8 posts, read 34,273 times
You can always try to carpool with someone that also commutes into the city and has a parking pass for the time being.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:37 PM

33 posts, read 109,171 times
Default Cost of metered parking in Rye

How much does the metered parking cost (per hour, or per day)?

Old 05-11-2009, 09:03 AM

60 posts, read 227,318 times
I walk to the station unless the weather is terrible then I either carpool or get dropped off.

My walk is just under a mile or a reliable, quick paced 12 minutes.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:54 AM

131 posts, read 792,852 times
Have you looked into public transportation to the train station at all? I don't know about Rye, but in Scarsdale there are some neighborhoods that are near a bus route that has frequent buses down to the Village and the station. Edgewood is one--there is a bus that goes down Grand Boulevard and then turns onto the Post Road and continues down to the Village. That was how we always got to & from the station when we commuted.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:01 AM

622 posts, read 1,724,051 times
I know people when house-hunting look for houses within walking distance to the train for specifically these issues. It's the most permanent solution. The train/parking situation IS ridiculous, but it is also a reality, unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County