Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2009, 09:40 PM

30 posts, read 58,091 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone

I have a job offer that has a sales territory from Westchester county up to Albany that pays $52000/yr + 20 K in bonuses beginning after 2 years. I am a single male and my only expenses are my car payment, insurance etc..

Problem is that Ive been working in PA as an independent contractor ("No benefits..etc) since January and am planning on generating close to 60 K this year.

Money goes a lot further here but I do not have benefits however I was told I can acquire them for $200/month..

Any advice would be a big help

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 09:56 AM

701 posts, read 3,324,584 times
If the sales territory extends all the way from Westchester up to Albany, there would be plenty of nice and affordable places to live in between.

If you really wanted to live in Westchester, it is certainly a higher cost of living. But as you are single without a family, you can probably fit a perfectly decent Westchester apartment, in a perfectly decent neighborhood, into your budget.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:29 PM

Thanks

Old 05-04-2009, 07:12 PM

305 posts, read 1,894,352 times
Westchester to Albany is a large span. Maybe you can look into somewhere in the middle -Harriman, Newburgh or New Paltz might be an option. Westchester is very expensive and it is the farthest end of your commute. You'll get more value for your money further up and if you stay somewhere in the middle, it can save you a 2 hour commute if you had to travel from say, Westchester to Albany. Good Luck

Old 05-04-2009, 09:23 PM

Thank You

I need a bit of night life though so I'm leaning towards the White Plains area. I also have friends that live there

Old 05-07-2009, 10:56 AM

218 posts, read 605,521 times
Look in to basement apartments in private homes...much cheaper than renting in a building. If you like White Plains, you should also look into the Silver Lake area as its very close and may have more non-building renting options than WP.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:35 PM

Thanks

Old 05-10-2009, 06:42 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,573,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveb623 View Post
Hello everyone

I have a job offer that has a sales territory from Westchester county up to Albany that pays $52000/yr + 20 K in bonuses beginning after 2 years. I am a single male and my only expenses are my car payment, insurance etc..

Problem is that Ive been working in PA as an independent contractor ("No benefits..etc) since January and am planning on generating close to 60 K this year.

Money goes a lot further here but I do not have benefits however I was told I can acquire them for $200/month..

Any advice would be a big help

Thanks
Benefits are more likely to be in the area of $800 a month unless your company has a specific plan. Do not go without them.

Westchester can be done on that wage but home ownership absolutely cannot be.

If you moved further north than Westchester, your housing costs will be reduced significantly. In Westchester you are paying a significant premium for closeness to NYC.

Depending on territory and number of customers in specific areas, I would opt for something lovely like Ulster County which is smack in between.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:54 PM

7 posts, read 24,484 times
If you are thinking of renting in the WP area, try the Avalon or Bank Street Commons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveb623 View Post
Thank You

I need a bit of night life though so I'm leaning towards the White Plains area. I also have friends that live there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County