Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 06:40 PM

1 posts, read 7,142 times

Advertisements

I've had Optimum (Cablevision) ever since I moved to Westchester 20 years ago. I have prayed, on my knees, that someone would come along and give them some competition. They are dishonest, rude, and make it perfectly clear that they don't care if they have your business or not. I've had CS reps laugh at my threats to close my account. I've been lied to about promotional rates, and never told that I would be charged $40. when the promotional rate expired, "just cuz," in addition to the rate increase. No credits for service interruptions or removed channels. I've paid for 100 Spanish-language channels I can't use. And the attitude is always, tough luck. I had a Verizon rep knock on my door today, and I raked him over the coals, because I'm not going to get myself into another situation that makes me want to slit my throat. High pressure sales tactics, and he would not leave a copy of the contract I would be signing. So I will call them tomorrow and tell them that if they want my business, they will have to leave the contract so I have time to read every word. Then, we'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggi813 View Post
We have Optimum and HATE IT! A lot of times the on demand doesn't work. We have little kids who have meltdowns until mickey mouse comes on and need the on demand for this reason...so its a real problem when it won't work...I like the DVR but each tv doesn't hold many recorded shows...which is annoying...

We tried to switch to FIOS but we would have to change our home phone number and that is not something we want to do.

But fyi, After our first year was up they tried to raise our bill too...my husband fought tooth and nail with them and threatened to leave etc. and they put us on another plan that was much more reasonable ---so defiantely complain and they will adjust your pricing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 12:39 PM

2 posts, read 12,801 times
I can answer the question, since I just left Optimum after 7 years.
I used to get downloads speeds of 12k up until 2 years ago, then it dropped to 4k, so i paid for optimum boost and the speeds went back to 12k. Problem is you should get 12k on your regular connection, it should be 25k with boost. I NEVER got the speeds they promised. In fact now, even with boost, I am back down to 7 k again. Heck, I get 4k on my 3g cell phone, so 7k is unacceptable.
I get 17k on average with fios now, no boost needed.
And I don't get phone or tv, just internet. WHY? Because there are a lot of choices for internet phone, all cheaper than the cable companies. And why no tv? Because I use Jetflicks, on my iphone hooked up to a tv, and I get every tv show on demand for 50 bucks a year. Why pay 50 a month for basic cable when you can get every cable show for 50 a year?

Old 10-30-2011, 12:42 PM

2 posts, read 12,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharon1951 View Post
I've had Optimum (Cablevision) ever since I moved to Westchester 20 years ago. I have prayed, on my knees, that someone would come along and give them some competition. They are dishonest, rude, and make it perfectly clear that they don't care if they have your business or not. I've had CS reps laugh at my threats to close my account. I've been lied to about promotional rates, and never told that I would be charged $40. when the promotional rate expired, "just cuz," in addition to the rate increase. No credits for service interruptions or removed channels. I've paid for 100 Spanish-language channels I can't use. And the attitude is always, tough luck. I had a Verizon rep knock on my door today, and I raked him over the coals, because I'm not going to get myself into another situation that makes me want to slit my throat. High pressure sales tactics, and he would not leave a copy of the contract I would be signing. So I will call them tomorrow and tell them that if they want my business, they will have to leave the contract so I have time to read every word. Then, we'll see.
Fios does not make you sign a contract anymore, so why read it? If it doesnt work out, cable will call you in 60 days and offer you a deal to come back. That is the secret, use both. Use one cheaply for a year, when the price goes up, switch, when their price goes up, switch back again. You will never have to pay more than 99 for triple play doing this.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:32 AM

44 posts, read 190,457 times
We just switched to Optimum from FiOS after ~3 years. We use Optimum for TV and internet. We do not have phone service.

Optimum
+ Much faster internet (both upload and download) for the same price - FiOS does have much higher "premium levels" if you want it
+ MSG HD (although Cablevision just lost a lawsuit and will likely have to allow others to carry MSG HD)
+ For the same basic TV + internet, Optimum is cheaper

FiOS
+ Video on Demand is significantly better than Optimums
+ Guide is much more refined - Optimum's "Favorites" setting is terrible

Old 11-13-2011, 12:15 PM

7 posts, read 65,702 times
I have had both FiOS TV and internet and Optimum TV and internet over the past few years at my current place. I used to not be a fan of FiOS because of their contacts and it wasn't available in all apartment complexes because of wiring, etc. Now, they do offer plans without contracts, which I think was a very smart move for them.

TV: I never thought I had problems with Optimum before, which I had for about 3 years in different apartments before having FiOS. I didn't really think anything of it when I started using FiOS, but once the cable was switched back to Optimum, THEN I noticed! Optimum is so much slower to load the guide and change channels, it gets choppy and pixelated at times, and didn't have all the channels I was used to with FiOS, even though it was the same level plan (Sleuth, for example). I also lose the TV connection once in awhile and have to reboot my box several times before it works again.

Internet: I have always hated Optimum. The internet went out a lot on their end, there was nothing wrong with the router or wiring on my end (they had come out and checked several times). The speeds were ridiculously slow at night - they advertise 15 Mbps download speeds, but in the evening I was lucky if I got 1-2 Mbps. We do a lot of online gaming and I work remotely from home often, so this drop in speed was a huge problem for us. They came out to check the lines a couple times for this before I just gave up and switched to FiOS. My speeds NEVER go down. I have done speed tests at different times of the day and it has never dipped, I absolutely love it. Right now we are paying for the second tier (25 Mbps) but I don't think we need it! 15 Mbps would be just fine since the speeds never drop, thanks to the fiber optics.

We are buying our first house and will be getting both FiOS TV and internet (15 Mbps this time).

Honestly, the TV isn't such a deal breaker. You can live with a slower guide and changing channels and the quality might not mean too much to you if it means saving money. However, there is just NO comparison for FiOS internet. They are in completely different leagues. For a casual internet user who just browses online, it might not be a problem, but if you rely on your internet, just get FiOS, you'll be much happier.

Old 11-19-2011, 11:49 PM

1 posts, read 6,270 times
Cablevision is a piece of **** you have to share internet with your area ,DON'T GET CABLE !-Making switch to fios as soon as it's available in my area.My optimum cable triple play is $130.00 too much money for shared internet and I don't even get HBO OR ENCORE ,ETC MOVIES PREMIUM MOVIE CHANNELS,With speaking to an fios representative was able to tell me that I could be paying 102.98 /month for the bundle .Better that Optimum is offering ,It's not like i never experience using fios I have 5 family members that have it .Slept over there house a few nights and the sevices that they offer.They offer more movie titles than cablevision And they offer you an free modem with build in Wireless router.-hmm wat an great bargain.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:14 AM

2 posts, read 17,082 times
Fios is much better then opt. I had opt triple play. I had two Dvrs. Io silver package and add HBO on demand and was paying $192 and change. I have since changed my service to fios. I now have the ultimate package offering all the movie channels as well as red zone and nfl network plus every channel on demand. Like all the movie channels as well as espn, MTV, bravo, I can't even list all of them and it's included free. Also all the mobile apps free to watch any where not home when I can watch a tv. Not like io. I pay with all taxes and fees 136.52 for two years. It's a contract I rather have a price locked for two years then have io jump up in one. FYI streaming Netflix and any Internet service much better then Actullay no comparison to Opt.

Last edited by Myny; 02-19-2012 at 08:25 AM..

Old 02-19-2012, 01:29 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,307,651 times
Cablevision is only good if you accustomed to watching News12, I'd say FIOS is the better service. A few years ago when they were really trying to eat in Cablevision's subscribers they had some incredible deals for signing up. Now that the gap has closed some they've started to raise their prices.

At the end I'd say it's a better deal than being tied to Cablevision, they make you pay so much for very little. I think the breaking point for me with Cablevision came a few years ago when a salesman knocked on my door, he was overtly rude and had a disgusting demeanor. Don't bite the hand that feeds you...

Old 02-20-2012, 08:33 AM

258 posts, read 908,065 times
I finally am switching to FIOS. My dh would not live without MSG in HD and now FIOS has it so I am excited. Most people I have met like FIOS better so hopefully I will to.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:43 PM

81 posts, read 245,858 times
What determines whether a particular town has FIOS or not? Does it have to have certain wiring? A special contract with the town?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County