U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2009, 10:34 AM

2 posts, read 10,732 times

Advertisements

I would like as much (honest) information about Mount Kisco as I can get.... I have been house shopping for quite some time & Mt. Kisco may be a good fit for our family if I can get a good deal on a home....

How are the schools? Over & over I hear they are 'good' but always compared to surrounding schools which are 'GREAT'.... my brother's kids are in Chappaqua schools & I know they are fantastic but without comparing how are Mount Kisco schools? (I noticed some go to Bedford, some Chappaqua, some Yorktown...a little confusing).

Many times people mention to me the (illegal?) immigration population living in Mt. Kisco -- what is the deal with that? Is there more crime? A lower quality of life? What is the real deal? I currently live in Brooklyn & think I would feel strange living where there is NO diversity but I also want my kids in school with people who value education. At the risk of sounding not politically correct are the schools divided between those who pursue learning/education and those who are just getting by/coasting? Is there gang activity?

I would appreciate any and all information! Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 01:46 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,273,575 times
Yes, there is a fairly large immigrant/hispanic population in Mt. Kisco. The City Data profile for Mt. Kisco says that the population is 64% white, 24.5% hispanic (which is high for a town in Westchester, especially northern Westchester) and 9% black. As I've stated elsewhere in this forum, the many large homes and estates in the Mt. Kisco area, along with neighboring Bedford and Bedford Hills, provide opportunities for immigrants in jobs such as housekeeping and groundskeeping.

I have never heard of any problems with crime or gangs in the Mt. Kisco area. In fact, the only news item that comes to mind concerning the police department there involved a member of the Mt. Kisco Police Department leaving a homeless man out on a deserted back road, after receiving a complaint that he was being a nuisance at a local laundromat. It was alledged that the officer roughed him up a bit, then dropped him off in a remote location, where he subsequently died. This happened a year or two ago, I believe.

Mt. Kisco is a nice little town. When my parents lived in Rye Brook, they'd go up there occasionally to go shopping. I've been to the movie theatre there many times, and never had any concerns about my safety.
Sorry I can't provide any info about the schools, but I don't know anyone currently living in the town.

Mt. Kisco trivia: If you've ever seen the movie Fatal Attraction, the car accident scene was filmed at the intersection of Main St (Route 133) and Moger Avenue in Mt. Kisco.

Old 05-23-2009, 11:27 PM

9,341 posts, read 28,152,579 times
Default Mount Kisco is a coterminous town-village

Mount Kisco is a coterminous town-village.

A coterminous town-village is where the town and the village have the same name and have the same exact border and the town supervisor/town board and the village mayor/board of trustees are the same.

Three of the 5 coterminous town-villages are in Westchester County (Harrison, Mount Kisco and Scarsdale), one is in Albany County (Green Island) and one is in Monroe County (East Rochester).

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-glossary.html may be of some help to you in understanding the geography of Westchester County.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:47 AM

701 posts, read 3,166,687 times
Mount Kisco is Bedford Schools. Yes, there is a bit of a neighborhood that is Mount Kisco post office, that is Chappaqua schools (and you will pay Chappaqua prices). And same with Yorktown. But most of Mount Kisco is zoned for Bedford Schools.

Mount Kisco does have a relatively large immigrant population, including a portion that is illegal immigrant. Still, gangs and crime do not seem to be a daily part of life in the village.

The Bedford school system includes residents who are ultra rich, as well as lower class new immigrants. Some of the more affluent certainly opt for private schools, but many also use the public schools.
The Bedford school system, in contrast to many other Westchester school districts, is very large. In contrast, Bedford is relatively large and diverse. The Chappaqua school district is actually a similar size, but less socio-economically diverse.

For whatever neighborhood you investigate, I would suggest researching the elementary school. Mount Kisco Elementary is very diverse, about 40% hispanic. For the most part, the Hispanic population of Mount Kisco is lower class, recent immigrant, but law abiding and hard working.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:20 AM

2,546 posts, read 6,392,970 times
Mt Kisco is, in many ways, a pretty schizophrenic place. The downtown is thriving, with many active shops, boutiques, restaurants and markets. In many ways it's pretty upscale. At the same time there are a lot of immigrants hanging around - mixed in with teenage kids, families, moms with strollers and nearby locals. I laugh when I hear questions about gangs in Mt Kisco - it's reasonable question, but suggests you're completely unfamiliar with the town. It's very VERY far from blighted, crime ridden or gang infested. In fact, I seriously believe that the immigrant population has about getting disappeared by the local cops if they get too rowdy (though I'm told that the town banned beer sales after 11pm too, not sure if that's true).

As for the high school, FLHS certainly is more diverse than Chappaqua, Lewisboro etc. There are substantial and visible hispanic and black cliques alongside the usual preppies, goths, hippies, skaters etc. There's no question that this reduces average test scores. Does that make it worse school? Many parents (myself included) strongly disagree. It's a matter of values. There are all the kids that take APs, go to the ivies, etc. Consider that FLHS is fed by Pound Ridge ES, Bedford Village ES, among others. Both are superb, parents are extremely well educated and affluent to megarich. Fox Lane is a melting pot with the resources to cater (and I do mean cater) to those kids and their very entitled parents as well as the less well off. FLHS is exactly as good as you need and want it to be.

Finally, you should consider the general Mt Kisco area, which includes Bedford Hills and parts of Bedford. That would influence the elementary school. My brother recently put 3 kids through Bedford Hills ES and was very happy with it.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:59 AM

9,341 posts, read 28,152,579 times
You can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) a house is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that house's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP or Census Designated Place is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Westchester County.)

And, very importantly, among other things, the Census Bureau's online address search function also indicates in which school district an address is located.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:01 PM

1,316 posts, read 4,954,444 times
Mt Kisco's commercial district is indeed thriving and mostly high-end. There are lots of new restaurants and shops. If anything, the only problem facing the town is that rents are too high and many independent stores have been forced out. But the town is perhaps the only one in the area to have succesfully integrated big box and small stores into the main street, and it is certainly one of the most vibrant around.

There are a number of distinct residential neighborhoods in the center of town, each with it's own character. Captain Merit's Hill, for example, is very nice and relatively expensive. The area just east of Main street (I don't know what it is called) is also very nice and full of quiet tree-lined streets and lovely houses.

The Hispanic population in Mt Kisco is quite diverse. While there certainly are single day laborers who live packed together in small apartments, the majority is families. There are many Hispanic-owned stores and restaurants in Mt Kisco--some serving a mostly Hispanic clientele and others serving a very diverse one (like Mangos and a few places that make excellent empanadas and have a huge following on Chowhound). And there are plenty of Hispanic-owned businesses based in Mt Kisco (my landscaping company and the electricians we last used, for example). So the Hispanic population runs the gamut from day laborers barely making due to prosperous upper middle class families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County