Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 12:22 PM

16 posts, read 112,425 times

Advertisements

Can someone help me with these areas.

Tuckahoe.....

Eastchester.......

Bronxville......

or areas like Dobbs, Tarrytown, Ardsley, Hastings.

I'm inquiring about safety, walkability, quietness, snobb levels, minorities, shopping, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 05:02 PM

11,292 posts, read 18,870,511 times
Are you asking about minorities because you are one and want there to be some diversity or because you simply want to know which town has the most vs. the least (which I think is somewhat rude)?

Nonetheless, of the 7 you mention I'd say Bronxville is definitely the snobbiest. Also, the "least" diverse of any of them in the sense that you don't really even have many "white ethnics" (i.e. Jews, Italians, etc.) living there. Of them all, I'd say the "most" diverse is a tossup between Tarrytown and Tuckahoe. I don't think either are "majority minority" but Tarrytown has a substantial Latino community and Tuckahoe has a small but noteworthy African-American community.

I'll let others answer on the other criteria as they'd probably know more than me, though all 7 towns are probably roughly even on them.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:36 PM

148 posts, read 878,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Are you asking about minorities because you are one and want there to be some diversity or because you simply want to know which town has the most vs. the least (which I think is somewhat rude)?

Nonetheless, of the 7 you mention I'd say Bronxville is definitely the snobbiest. Also, the "least" diverse of any of them in the sense that you don't really even have many "white ethnics" (i.e. Jews, Italians, etc.) living there. Of them all, I'd say the "most" diverse is a tossup between Tarrytown and Tuckahoe. I don't think either are "majority minority" but Tarrytown has a substantial Latino community and Tuckahoe has a small but noteworthy African-American community.

I'll let others answer on the other criteria as they'd probably know more than me, though all 7 towns are probably roughly even on them.
agree, all the towns you mentioned are safe. I will avoid Bronxville and Eastchester if you are looking for diversity but the are nice places otherwise. Bear in mind that a Bronxville zip code does not equate to Bronxville Village, some places with the Bronxville zip code are actually in the Bronx which is an entirely diiferent place.

With regards to diversity, in addition to Tarrytown and Tuckahoe, Dobbs Ferry, Ardsley and Hastings also have minorities in varying amounts (African Americans mostly I believe). If schools are important to you ...........Tuckahoe has the smallest school district/size, while Tarrytown has the largest school district (Tarrytown and Sleepy Hollow share a school district).

Old 06-23-2009, 07:45 PM

305 posts, read 1,894,204 times
I agree with all the above with the exception of this statement "Dobbs Ferry, Hastings and Ardsley also have varying amounts of minorities but they are mostly African American". Actually most of the minorities in those areas are Asian.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:10 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,382,704 times
Bronxville is nowhere near The Bronx. What you will find in the Bronxville P.O. is that the city is Yonkers or Mount Vernon. Bronxville is part of the Town of Eastchester as are Eastchester and Tuckahoe; however, you must be in the village for the schools, not the town as there is also an Eastchester and Tuckahoe district. Bronxville is very walkable, and has the most comprehensive village center, which is similar to Larchmont.

Tuckahoe has some shopping in the village, but it's a tad more spread out, and it's not as complete as Bronxville. Parts of Eastchester are very walkable, but walkable to Scarsdale as other parts of the town are closer to the White Plains Road area, which has several shopping centers clustered together, bringing everything from a Borders and Lord & Taylor to town, but at the expense of a walkable downtown. Ardsley doesn't have a downtown per se, but Hastings and Dobbs Ferry do have small village centers that offer a good mix of shops, though walkability on the Hudson is likely dictated by one's preference for hills, since they are a plenty in that area.

Tarrytown, when considered as a whole, is going to have the most diversity, though none of these areas is diverse on the nature of a White Plains, Yonkers, Mount Vernon, or even The Bronx. In terms of safety, I think that they're all pretty much safe areas now, though Tarrytown did have a higher crime rate going back a few years, so it might lag behind the smaller villages on your list.

Tuckahoe is a great well-rounded little village with much going for it. I'd say that it's probably the most open community on your list in terms of lack of pretension. Bronxville has a social order and can be described as snobby by some, though it's a tad friendlier than Scarsdale, overall. Tarrytown is not snobby per se, but areas that tend to be wealthier in Tarrytown tend to be a little more isolated, whereas Eastchester is pretty low-key as well in terms of snobbery.

Hastings, Dobbs Ferry, and Ardsley are river towns and as such are generally more liberal, and are a tad more open socially. However, I doubt that any area in Westchester could be aptly described as a totally snob free zone, but in terms of degrees of snobbery, there are some areas where snobbery is less pervasive.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post

I'm looking for diversity....I don't want to live in a town with ALL couture clones.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekulu View Post
agree, all the towns you mentioned are safe. I will avoid Bronxville and Eastchester if you are looking for diversity but the are nice places otherwise.

Thank you.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Tuckahoe has some shopping in the village, but it's a tad more spread out, and it's not as complete as Bronxville. Parts of Eastchester are very walkable, but walkable to Scarsdale as other parts of the town are closer to the White Plains Road area, which has several shopping centers clustered together, bringing everything from a Borders and Lord & Taylor to town, but at the expense of a walkable downtown. Ardsley doesn't have a downtown per se, but Hastings and Dobbs Ferry do have small village centers that offer a good mix of shops, though walkability on the Hudson is likely dictated by one's preference for hills, since they are a plenty in that area.

Tarrytown, when considered as a whole, is going to have the most diversity, though none of these areas is diverse on the nature of a White Plains, Yonkers, Mount Vernon, or even The Bronx. In terms of safety, I think that they're all pretty much safe areas now, though Tarrytown did have a higher crime rate going back a few years, so it might lag behind the smaller villages on your list.

Tuckahoe is a great well-rounded little village with much going for it. I'd say that it's probably the most open community on your list in terms of lack of pretension. Bronxville has a social order and can be described as snobby by some, though it's a tad friendlier than Scarsdale, overall. Tarrytown is not snobby per se, but areas that tend to be wealthier in Tarrytown tend to be a little more isolated, whereas Eastchester is pretty low-key as well in terms of snobbery.

Hastings, Dobbs Ferry, and Ardsley are river towns and as such are generally more liberal, and are a tad more open socially. However, I doubt that any area in Westchester could be aptly described as a totally snob free zone, but in terms of degrees of snobbery, there are some areas where snobbery is less pervasive.
Thanks so much for this response.....I think we've narrowed our search to Tuckahoe/Eastchester.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:56 AM

93,164 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Here's the demographics of the school districts in question. Go to page 3

Tuckahoe: https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb-rc...0302030000.pdf

Eastchester: https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb-rc...0301030000.pdf

Dobbs Ferry: https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb-rc...0403030000.pdf

Bronxville: https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb-rc...0403030000.pdf

Hastings: https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb-rc...0403030000.pdf

Ardsley: https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb-rc...0405030000.pdf

the Tarrytowns(Sleepy Hollow): https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb-rc...0401030000.pdf

Old 06-27-2009, 07:03 PM

THIS was SOOOO helpful!!!! Thank you sooo much for posting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County