Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 09:33 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,307,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRINCESSNOTICE View Post
White Plains is a good choice, but as a previous poster mentioned it is very expensive there. Mt Vernon is not a good choice because you have to go through the "bad" neighborhoods just to get to the "good"ones. (And when I say bad I mean random shootings, and the like). New Rochelle does not have a nightlife at all, but it is a little cheaper than White Plains and it can be pretty quiet there. Believe me when I say you will not party or hang out any place you decide to move out there, you will end up in the city. But White Plains does have a couple bars that would be close to go to. Good luck!
I disagree with that, alot of the street crime in Mt. Vernon you can in specific areas on the southside. A good deal of that crime is also gang related, if you use common sense you'll be able to avoid it. I don't think or feel that you don't have go through bad neighborhoods just to get to good ones in the vernon. Alot of the time Its just using common sense like any other place.

I also disagree on the nightlife in New Rochelle, you got some spots like Club Carib, La Clave etc. and the prices/rents are similar depending on the neighborhood. New Ro has a bigger downtown but the demographics are very similar (especially with the gentrification of both areas within in the last 8 years or so). I digress but back to the "nightlife" options, I do think WP edges out New Ro in the aspect that there's more variety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 10:52 AM

236 posts, read 390,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
I disagree with that, alot of the street crime in Mt. Vernon you can in specific areas on the southside. A good deal of that crime is also gang related, if you use common sense you'll be able to avoid it. I don't think or feel that you don't have go through bad neighborhoods just to get to good ones in the vernon. Alot of the time Its just using common sense like any other place.

I also disagree on the nightlife in New Rochelle, you got some spots like Club Carib, La Clave etc. and the prices/rents are similar depending on the neighborhood. New Ro has a bigger downtown but the demographics are very similar (especially with the gentrification of both areas within in the last 8 years or so). I digress but back to the "nightlife" options, I do think WP edges out New Ro in the aspect that there's more variety.

I drive thorugh Mt. Vernon all the time, because I have family that lives there and I know first hand that you literally drive through the bad to get to the good or vice versa. Yes, I agree common sense plays a role, but "The Vernons" areas can change drastically over a couple of blocks. One second its beautiful and the next its like, "am I in the same neighborhood?" You are right about the crime being gang related, but trust me when I say, it goes beyond the southside. My cuz lives on the border right by pelham and the building over there is not one you feel so safe in, and I live in the bronx, so for me to say that, I think, means something.

As for nightlife in New Ro, I dont know anyone who frequents Carib anymore. At one point in time it was a popular spot, but it has died out over time. La Clave I cannot speak on, because I have never been there myself. The best entertainment would be on Main Street but mostly kids hang out there and they can get quite rowdy. They had a big fight/riot in New Roc not to long ago.

I just think if the poster had to pick between the options, WP is their best bet to live and the city is the best bet to hang!

Old 07-09-2009, 08:45 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,032,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
I also disagree on the nightlife in New Rochelle, you got some spots like Club Carib, La Clave etc. and the prices/rents are similar depending on the neighborhood. New Ro has a bigger downtown but the demographics are very similar (especially with the gentrification of both areas within in the last 8 years or so).
You gotta be kidding. Mod cut: not necessary.

Last edited by Viralmd; 07-10-2009 at 05:01 PM.. Reason: Not necessary, thanks.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:03 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,307,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRINCESSNOTICE View Post
I drive thorugh Mt. Vernon all the time, because I have family that lives there and I know first hand that you literally drive through the bad to get to the good or vice versa. Yes, I agree common sense plays a role, but "The Vernons" areas can change drastically over a couple of blocks. One second its beautiful and the next its like, "am I in the same neighborhood?" You are right about the crime being gang related, but trust me when I say, it goes beyond the southside. My cuz lives on the border right by pelham and the building over there is not one you feel so safe in, and I live in the bronx, so for me to say that, I think, means something.

As for nightlife in New Ro, I dont know anyone who frequents Carib anymore. At one point in time it was a popular spot, but it has died out over time. La Clave I cannot speak on, because I have never been there myself. The best entertainment would be on Main Street but mostly kids hang out there and they can get quite rowdy. They had a big fight/riot in New Roc not to long ago.

I just think if the poster had to pick between the options, WP is their best bet to live and the city is the best bet to hang!
I'm guessing your cousin lives in the vicinity around or close to Sanford Blvd. generally the closer you get to Pelham things die down (especially right after the cross under the hutch) but sometimes things can pop off at memorial field and further up the street (esp around 4th - 7th ave). There are plenty of good/bad blocks scrunched in that area. Even towards the bronx river parkway around mt. vernon ave things pop off off. I've got plenty of family in different parts of mt vernon (and a little further south down on wp rd as well)

but I digress were starting to go off topic from the original discussion, perhaps we can start a new topic on this or even discuss it through PM's its all good.

I agree that if your looking for nightlife its just better to go somewhere down in the city. WP is a good spot to chill though

Old 07-10-2009, 04:08 PM

93,313 posts, read 123,941,088 times
What about the Fleetwood section of Mt. Vernon or Yonkers?

Old 07-10-2009, 04:09 PM

306 posts, read 636,440 times
Port Chester. I worked there for a few years and loved the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County