Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2009, 08:22 PM

7 posts, read 13,369 times

Advertisements

My partner and I are considering a move from Chicago to the Tri-state area. One of the reasons is the weather in Chicago. We both grew up with 4 equal seasons that included nice summers, but for all Chicago has to offer, its summer doesn't get going until July, and even then winds from the north or off the lake can keep the highs in the mid-60's. I know that's ideal for many, just not for us, both outdoorsy kind of people who think the idea of needing jackets in July is bizarre. We like to hike and bike and it's hard to find decent days for long bike rides most summers.

We live in a suburb of Chicago called Evanston which borders the city, and has a fairly urban feel to it - walkable streets, multiple business areas, a nice downtown. Daily needs are within walking/biking distance (gym, markets, cleaners, restaurants, etc.), though we commute to work. We like it here because it is mixed (racially, age-wise, nationalities, incomes), there's a university here which adds to the vibe, a great farmers market, and it's a very pedestrian friendly town. We have both a small, independent grocer nearby, as well as a Whole Foods within walking distance.

I know there's a Whole Foods in White Plains, and I had a friend who lived there briefly who thought the weather was better than Chicago's. Can anyone give me some input on this idea? Thanks.

Oh, we'd be eventually looking for a house in the 800K - 1M range, hoping for a decent sized yard for gardening (ours is currently small, 33' x 120').
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 09:55 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,305,676 times
Yes it does match the description. The downtown area while compact is very walkable, there markets, gyms, restaurants, compact apt. buildings etc. I haven't been to Chicago to compare the weather, but the area is very diverse, even when you get into the more suburban neighborhoods. There are some universities but the ones in the immediate downtown area are business/grad schools (Berkley and Pace). Whole Foods is situated in an area that isn't that walkable but you can still reach it very easily by walking (it takes me about 10-15 min to get there from my apt). There's also a farmers market every wednesday right next to City Hall.

If you guys love to bike and hike then on the weekends you can bike and hike up in the northern part of the county (its very scenic) or you can ride/hike/jog on the bike trails from around the metro north station to the Kensico Dam Park. I'm not to sure about the house prices because I rent but I do hope you guys find what your looking for whether it be here, Chicago or elsewhere!

Old 07-08-2009, 06:42 AM

7 posts, read 13,369 times
Thanks for the reply - it was very helpful.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:04 AM

490 posts, read 1,787,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelM65 View Post
My partner and I are considering a move from Chicago to the Tri-state area. One of the reasons is the weather in Chicago. We both grew up with 4 equal seasons that included nice summers, but for all Chicago has to offer, its summer doesn't get going until July, and even then winds from the north or off the lake can keep the highs in the mid-60's. I know that's ideal for many, just not for us, both outdoorsy kind of people who think the idea of needing jackets in July is bizarre. We like to hike and bike and it's hard to find decent days for long bike rides most summers.

We live in a suburb of Chicago called Evanston which borders the city, and has a fairly urban feel to it - walkable streets, multiple business areas, a nice downtown. Daily needs are within walking/biking distance (gym, markets, cleaners, restaurants, etc.), though we commute to work. We like it here because it is mixed (racially, age-wise, nationalities, incomes), there's a university here which adds to the vibe, a great farmers market, and it's a very pedestrian friendly town. We have both a small, independent grocer nearby, as well as a Whole Foods within walking distance.

I know there's a Whole Foods in White Plains, and I had a friend who lived there briefly who thought the weather was better than Chicago's. Can anyone give me some input on this idea? Thanks.

Oh, we'd be eventually looking for a house in the 800K - 1M range, hoping for a decent sized yard for gardening (ours is currently small, 33' x 120').
I too think WP fits the description. Since you like biking I wanted to share that there is a place called The Bronx River Parkway, which is an old smaller highway, and I believe they still close a portion of it some sundays during the summer for people to skate and bike. It is really nice. Weather wise, I think is it better here. You can find tons of days (some very hot and humid though) from April to October for outdoor activities. If you like the beach, there are several within an hour or so in CT, NY and NJ.
Good luck with your search,

Old 07-08-2009, 12:35 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,382,704 times
The only bad part about White Plains is that houses are generally going to be further from the urban core, especially in the price range and lot requirements that you seek. Proportionately, there are a good number of number of older homes on smaller lots that fall under your price range in proximity to the real core of the city itself. If you were looking for a condo, you'd be in the heart of the action, but for a house, you're going to have a 5-10 minute drive to get to the city center, itself, but there are some very nice houses that you could consider in the general White Plains area that would meet your requirements, but it might not be within reasonable walking distance of the shops and restaurants.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:47 AM

13 posts, read 51,446 times
WP is not as pedestrian-friendly as Evanston, but it's the closest to Evanston that you will find in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County