Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2009, 07:34 PM

2 posts, read 14,730 times

Advertisements

For a variety of reasons, I am looking to relocate from CT to Tarrytown/Irvington/Sleepy Hollow...I work in Stamford. Question is - is it a terrible commute during rush hour (I work a typical 9-5 job). After work, I can get from Stamford to Tarrytown 30 min no problem, but I heard the morning commute is terrible, particularly 287. I would like to relocate to one of these towns and commute north but I'm afraid the commute will be ridiculous. Any insight into length of travel/back roads/etc would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 12:42 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,390,804 times
To avoid 287 and 95 through Greenwich, from Tarrytown, I would take Route 119 (Tarrytown Road) that parallels 287. Follow it to White Plains, where you would get on Main Street, by the train station, and follow that to Broadway. You would turn right on Broadway, headed toward The Westchester and turn left to get on Westchester Avenue which is Route 119 again.

You would then take the turn to Purchase, Anderson Hill Road, and follow it to Route 120A where Anderson Hill Road ends, which is the Connecticut Line. After that, you would turn right on King Street (Route 120A) and follow it to the Merritt Parkway North (CT 15).

Follow the Merritt North to the Long Ridge Road exit, proceeding south toward Stamford. That route avoids much of the traffic, but until you get on the Merritt, you have lights with which to contend, and a bit of traffic in White Plains, though most of the roads don't have similar jam issues as the entire way on 287 and 95 can have during rush hour. It might take just under an hour, depending upon the time you leave and the lights, etc. and the origin and destination points within Tarrytown and Stamford, respectively.

Old 07-18-2009, 03:36 AM

2,006 posts, read 4,306,530 times
Its not insane its doable.

I think Bmwguydc gave you great directions and advice. I would just say in the mornings in Tarrytown, the only part of 119 that deals with ALOT of traffic is between Taxter Rd and 9A/Saw Mill River rd/Elmsford sq. In general you only get traffic on that part of 119 when schools are in session (from 8-10 am) due to people getting off i287 and people getting off the saw mill pkwy further down the street.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:26 AM

124 posts, read 702,003 times
it is very jammed during rush hours from I287 exit 6 all the way to tappen zee. I used to live in hartsdale and commute to stamford and i felt so lucky that i only had to go through 2 of those heavily jammed exits. plus it's very often that the whole I287 is jammed from exit 8 then it took me an hour to get home vs. 1/2 hour during non-rush hour. the alternative is from merritt parkway take king street go all the way up to greenwich then the reservoir and westchester airport, it will take you down to tarrytown. it's a big detour and i only used it when i knew there was a big accident/ flooding on I287 (which did happen sometimes, not a lot). 119 is a good alternative but it's just too many traffice lights and especially slow during rush hour. for a normal day traffic, it's actually faster to drive on I287 at 5- 10 miles an hour rather than going through local route. i would not live in tarry town if i worked in stamford.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:29 AM

124 posts, read 702,003 times
although, my old colleague who lived across the bridge always left home before 7 am and left work around 4:30. if you can somehow rearrange your work hour, you will have a much much better commute.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:14 AM

2,006 posts, read 4,306,530 times
PEmom brings up a good point about flooding whenever there's a nasty storm. That can unexpectedly throw a wrench into your commute for hours!

Old 07-19-2009, 01:44 PM

2 posts, read 14,730 times
These responses are all very helpful - thank you all. I can actually arrange my hours to 10-6...would this make the commute easier? What time does traffic really pick up and die down in the AM on 287? Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County