U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2009, 08:06 PM

48 posts, read 79,991 times

Advertisements

How do the schools rate in both?

How does the culture/atmosphere differ?

thank you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 10:08 AM

701 posts, read 3,109,997 times
Irvington schools are smaller, a bit more "exclusive" with less diversity. Mamaroneck schools are well rated, but they are more racially and socio-economically diverse. The school system is very large, which can be off-putting to some people. The high school is large -- 1500 students in Mamaroneck HS, compared to 600 in Irvington.

The culture and atmosphere have reputations of being fairly different. Irvington is one of the river towns, which have a reputation of being a bit less pretentious than much of the rest of the county, more politically liberal, and also a bit more down to earth. Mamaroneck itself, as I said, it fairly diverse. It has a large working-class Hispanic population, but also areas of extreme affluence. The schools combine with Larchmont, which is extremely affluent, with a bit of a yacht club feel.

I'm mainly going on reputation, I have limited first hand observation.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:30 AM

2,017 posts, read 4,005,135 times
I would go with Mamaroneck by far.

I went to Irvington public schools for a little over a year and a half. Academically it was really great, lots of incentives and opportunities. I originally came from one of the most diverse school districts in Westchester, so in terms of my social experience it was a disaster having to put up with some of those kids. I wouldn't even put Irvington and "down to earth" within in the same sentence. Its a nice scenic town but I swear if you look at the sky long enough you'll see bizarro superman flying around reminding you that your in some type of alternate reality. I'm just saying this from my personal experience in dealing with Irvington.

Moderator cut: Not necessary

I've always liked Mamaroneck. I've had family out there as I grew up so I had many chances in dealing with the town. Mamaroneck ave as you stroll through the town is family oriented and filled with a diverse assortment of stores. There's a good balance between the working class and affluent and I agree on the yacht club feel.

The only part where Irvington has the up on Mamaroneck is with the waterfront park compared to harbor island.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 08-05-2009 at 12:43 PM.. Reason: Comment not necessary, thanks.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:44 PM

10,919 posts, read 28,719,318 times
Irvington is different than other areas on the Hudson as it still has a contingent of older money that is not as artsy and liberal as in surrounding areas. In that regard, it has more in common with other older, established affluent villages in Lower Westchester, despite its location.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Last edited by bmwguydc; 08-05-2009 at 12:52 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-05-2009, 07:30 PM

3,756 posts, read 8,851,760 times
Irvington hands down. Mamaroneck is just a tad bit busier. Check out the schools too. Schoolmatters.com

Old 08-05-2009, 07:36 PM

197 posts, read 369,169 times
Is it expensive to live in Mamaroneck?

Old 08-05-2009, 08:27 PM

10,919 posts, read 28,719,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithi View Post
It depends upon the part of Mamaroneck, since the Town of Mamaroneck also includes the Village of Larchmont. With a Mamaroneck address, a decent house will start above $500k in today's market at the low end, though there are some in the downtown (which some people don't like as much) that are under that range, but they are likely in need of repair. As for the upper end of the market, multimillion dollar price tags are not foreign in Mamaroneck, especially on Long Island Sound, and directly on the Sound, prices can go over the $10M range.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-06-2009, 03:46 PM

10,369 posts, read 16,613,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithi View Post
It is expensive to live ANYWHERE within at least 30 miles of here, unless you want to crowd into a very small space or want to live in an unsafe area (and even then it is still more expensive than some "rich" neighborhoods of many other metros, even "adjacent" ones like Hartford or Philly).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County