Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2009, 06:42 PM

124 posts, read 701,948 times

Advertisements

Hi, I think I have asked this question before but maybe it was not clear enough to get people's valuable opinions: Where do you put your kids afterschool if both you work 8 to 5 and really don't wanna deal with a nanny? The school mentioned Kids' B.A.S.E. to me but it did not seem many family use it. Anybody knows why? Is it not good enough or is it very expensive? (i'd guess yes to the latter). Also it's located on Quaker Ridge side and if you don't live close to it, is it much hassle during rush house to pick your kid up there and go home?

I understand lots of Scarsdale families have stay home mom or hire nannies. But that cannot be everybody's case. Is there other way to handle it? many many thanks! we don't wanna move into a place and find out a big logistic issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 06:40 AM

11,295 posts, read 18,876,476 times
While I'm sure there's an answer, the reason most Scarsdale families have nannies or stay at home moms and probably don't use Kids B.A.S.E. is that many Scarsdalians have high powered Manhattan jobs whose hours are often well beyond 8-5 (and/or involve a lot of travelling, etc.) and a lot of commuting time too. So a simply "3-6" after school program doesn't prove practical for them and they either get a live-in nanny or the higher paid spouse (usually the husband, but sometimes and more than in the past the wife) continues working 24-7 while the other spouse stays home. There are lots of stay at home spouses that would love to continue working, but find that most jobs that are truly 8-5 or so pay the kind of money where it would all go to day or after-school care (the former can rival some small mortgages in cost).

I know through friends (who have a nanny) of a district further north in Westchester (which I shall not name) where they surprisingly have essentially banned homework in the lower elementary levels because the hard-working hi-powered dual-career families complained they have little time to be with their kids to help them.

Good luck! This is my take on why there are less programs than you would think. Hopefully when you find one there's not some big "waiting list".

Old 08-15-2009, 08:35 AM

866 posts, read 2,483,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEmom View Post
Hi, I think I have asked this question before but maybe it was not clear enough to get people's valuable opinions: Where do you put your kids afterschool if both you work 8 to 5 and really don't wanna deal with a nanny? The school mentioned Kids' B.A.S.E. to me but it did not seem many family use it. Anybody knows why? Is it not good enough or is it very expensive? (i'd guess yes to the latter). Also it's located on Quaker Ridge side and if you don't live close to it, is it much hassle during rush house to pick your kid up there and go home?

I understand lots of Scarsdale families have stay home mom or hire nannies. But that cannot be everybody's case. Is there other way to handle it? many many thanks! we don't wanna move into a place and find out a big logistic issue.
I know that Fox Meadow and Greenacres elementary schools have afterschool clubs until about 5pm. You have to register and pay, and I'm not sure about the other schools, but it's something to look into.

I think the Kids B.A.S.E is expensive but it's also hard to get into. I don't think traffic is a problem at that time of day, at least I've never encountered much of a problem. And really, nothing is THAT far away, even if you're in northern Greenacres. Scarsdale seems spread out, but it's still fairly small.

I do believe that most households have a stay-at-home parent because as the last poster mentioned, child care is expensive and if your salary is just covering the cost, what's the point, ya know? Also, nannies start to make more sense when you have more than one child (one nanny or 2 day care tuitions?) I know when I was a kid we would go home with a friend and her mom, and I'm sure that's something that could work - if you make friends with families nearby you might find a mom or nanny who could look after your kid for a couple of hours after school. Of course, that only becomes an option after you move here and make friends, so I know it's not something to bank on. It's tough I know, I'm thinking of going back to work and there are seemingly very few childcare options in the area - it seems most people want nannies.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:19 PM

124 posts, read 701,948 times
thanks 7 wishes and streetsmart. i agree with the cost reason for moms staying home but once the kids all go to school, what moms do (cannot be everybody becomes realtor or working at PTA). Plus then you'll face huge college costs soon. Also if the moms give up work for a few years until the kids grow, what kind of job can moms find as they are out of workforce for so long? even if it's not for financial reason, how can moms fill up their time (cannot be playing tennis all year long or wondering in the mall, right?)?

Old 08-15-2009, 09:52 PM

11,295 posts, read 18,876,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEmom View Post
thanks 7 wishes and streetsmart. i agree with the cost reason for moms staying home but once the kids all go to school, what moms do (cannot be everybody becomes realtor or working at PTA). Plus then you'll face huge college costs soon. Also if the moms give up work for a few years until the kids grow, what kind of job can moms find as they are out of workforce for so long? even if it's not for financial reason, how can moms fill up their time (cannot be playing tennis all year long or wondering in the mall, right?)?
You partially answered the question. One reason many moms become realtors when all the kids are in school is it has the flexibility that they can pick up the kids at 3 and then worry about some sort of care for them (like dropping off at a friend's house). Similarly, when the kids are all in school, some try to find part-time jobs that are during school hours (like being a crossing guard, or even an "office" job that is somehow 10-2).

I think some SAHMs do actually shoot for the "lounging life" when all the kids are in school and try not to work if possible, but for many others I think as you described it is a financial burden for them and they feel forced to stay-at-home and wish that corporate America would be more family-friendly and/or that American education would adapt to the modern dual earner families and offer more after-school options, etc.

Old 08-19-2009, 03:15 PM

701 posts, read 3,324,801 times
Plenty of families utilize an Au Pair, which is much cheaper than a fulltime nanny. Or, going even more informally, there are plenty of families that simply hire a babysitter on a daily basis, from after-school, till 6 or 7 or 8. (whatever being necessary).

Old 08-20-2009, 08:13 AM

295 posts, read 1,505,094 times
BASE camp, as I've been told, fills up early (so you have to apply for a position for your kids ASAP. The traffic is not THAT bad across Scarsdale, even in rush hour.

Nannies are easier because if your kid is sick, or there is a school holiday which your work does not celebrate...they can take care of the kids.

Not to insult the SAH moms...I think there are many circumstances in which this is a great option...but there is no way that I'd give up my career (NOT just a job) for watching children 3PM-6PM after school...and no real reason I would have to. While I understand many people have jobs that they don't mind leaving...I have worked my whole life towards where I am now. What kind of role model would that be for them?

Old 08-20-2009, 08:50 PM

141 posts, read 287,250 times
if you are inflexible to nannies, you will be sorely pushed to find a good alternative

Old 08-24-2009, 10:29 PM

33 posts, read 109,157 times
Just a thought, but what about posting a job at one of the local colleges? I did that before I relocated to Westchester and it worked out great! The young woman who worked for us was actually studying early childhood education. Good luck!

Old 07-04-2011, 09:07 PM

1 posts, read 6,794 times
Default Seeking after school option

You are not alone. I am wondering the same thing about after school care. I am moving to Greenacres next month and have a child starting first grade. I am not able to leave the office until 7 or 8pm or later some days.

Is there anyone out there who wants to share a nanny / babysitter?
I just checked the BASE web site and they close at 6pm.....I used to have a day care that closed at 7pm which I could work with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
View detailed profiles of: