U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2009, 03:19 PM

12 posts, read 75,394 times

Advertisements

I've been looking for reasonably cheap short-term apartments in the NYC area, but short-term apartments in Manhattan or anywhere near there seem to exist only as astronomically-priced vacation rentals (I'm guessing they're for some rich out-of-area'ers showing up for a week).

Would Westchester County have more actual short-term apartments or month-to-month leases or the like? (I'm mainly interested in studio apartments or the like.)
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 07:16 PM

141 posts, read 276,408 times
try yonkers, its skeevy as hell and not for single women, but lots of cheap and illegal apartments

Old 08-20-2009, 07:38 PM

10,703 posts, read 17,259,173 times
I have found that because of supply and demand issues, this is almost non-existant in most of the NY metro area (much like, though unrelated to this, mobile homes/trailers are extremely rare here). However, if you look under Craigslist for "short-term sublets" you should be able to find something eventually where someone who needs to get out of a lease and can't is trying to sublet for the rest of their lease.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syngar99 View Post
try yonkers, its skeevy as hell and not for single women, but lots of cheap and illegal apartments
What does skeevy mean in this case? I'm a single man, and I do not plan on dealing with illegal anything. What do you mean regarding single women?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I have found that because of supply and demand issues, this is almost non-existant in most of the NY metro area (much like, though unrelated to this, mobile homes/trailers are extremely rare here). However, if you look under Craigslist for "short-term sublets" you should be able to find something eventually where someone who needs to get out of a lease and can't is trying to sublet for the rest of their lease.
I see; so it's not just NYC, but the entire metro area that's gotten that way.

If I myself were to need to do something similar to what you describe (it's not clear how long I will remain in the New York area, so if I end up having to find a 1-year lease...), would absentee-subletting the rest of a lease be a relatively easy thing to do?

Most of what I've seen on Craigslist for short-term sublets is either someone going on a summer vacation or else pricey stuff by the day/week for rich travelers as a hotel alternative; not much in the way of worthwhile stuff for other parts of the year.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:38 AM

141 posts, read 276,408 times
i guess i mean, theres a certain level of unseemliness, that made ME uncomfortable letting my girl walk out to her car alone at night.
some people might scoff at that, but consider the dynamics of crime, yonkers abuts bronx and the city and so a lot of money and crime flows easily between the two.

there ARE nice parts of yonkers, but just like a beach NEXT to the ocean, even if u arent in it, you might get your feet wet.

you'll be fine short term, but 1) dont leave any valuables inside your car at night 2) f you have electronics to move in or other valuable items, try to be discrete about it

Old 08-21-2009, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Storm View Post

Most of what I've seen on Craigslist for short-term sublets is either someone going on a summer vacation or else pricey stuff by the day/week for rich travelers as a hotel alternative; not much in the way of worthwhile stuff for other parts of the year.
To be honest, that may be true here unfortunately. My experience with it is I needed to be in the Hartford, CT area for about 2 months during the week on a temporary assignment and Craigslist proved pretty useful for this. But what you say may be true here as housing of any kind is harder and more expensive to come by.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:25 AM

10,918 posts, read 29,476,688 times
For a sublet, try Sublet.com as they do cover Westchester.

Yonkers has its own issues, since the majority of the Yonkers border is Riverdale and Woodlawn, inclusive of Van Cortlandt Park, are hardly run-down, crime-infested areas. If you find a place in Yonkers that's in Northeast Yonkers, with a Bronxville zip code, for example, it's not a bad area. And, the border with Woodlawn is largely private houses that's an extension of the Woodlawn area in The Bronx, which again, is not an area that one would necessarily avoid.

Similarly, not all of Mount Vernon is bad, just stay in the Fleetwood area to avoid the issues that plague the city closer to The Bronx line.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-21-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
But what you say may be true here as housing of any kind is harder and more expensive to come by.
That's what I find so baffling. Why is housing becoming harder and more expensive to come by rather than the opposite? I would have thought that prices would be falling a lot given the recession, and vacancies plentiful. Where's the demand coming from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
For a sublet, try Sublet.com as they do cover Westchester.

Yonkers has its own issues, since the majority of the Yonkers border is Riverdale and Woodlawn, inclusive of Van Cortlandt Park, are hardly run-down, crime-infested areas. If you find a place in Yonkers that's in Northeast Yonkers, with a Bronxville zip code, for example, it's not a bad area. And, the border with Woodlawn is largely private houses that's an extension of the Woodlawn area in The Bronx, which again, is not an area that one would necessarily avoid.

Similarly, not all of Mount Vernon is bad, just stay in the Fleetwood area to avoid the issues that plague the city closer to The Bronx line.
Thanks for those tips.

If I end up not staying in the area long and yet end up needing to find a 1-year lease, would absentee-subletting the apartment a simple and hassle-free thing to do?

Old 08-21-2009, 08:28 PM

10,918 posts, read 29,476,688 times
Quote:
If I end up not staying in the area long and yet end up needing to find a 1-year lease, would absentee-subletting the apartment a simple and hassle-free thing to do?
Yes, generally speaking, subletting is an easy thing to do, not that different from a regular rental, save for the terms being flexible.

Another consideration for a sublet, but this depends upon having your own transportation and being comfortable with driving a little bit, would be to look in adjacent areas of Fairfield County, CT and better parts of The Bronx, such as Riverdale and Woodlawn. I would suggest Rockland County as well, but the traffic is horrible getting across the Tappan Zee and adds significantly to a commute during rush hour.

Also, parts of New Rochelle are not bad, but you do want to stay away from much of the downtown area as some places there do have problems. The Shore Road area, close to Pelham, and parts closer to Scarsdale (above Iona College on North Avenue) are worth considering.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-22-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
That's what I find so baffling. Why is housing becoming harder and more expensive to come by rather than the opposite? I would have thought that prices would be falling a lot given the recession, and vacancies plentiful. Where's the demand coming from?

I am baffled to, the point that I may be leaving the area soon. Sad as I am in my early 40s and lived here for all but about 5 years of it.

But the answer is that more than most places we have a lot of people who bought here 25, 30, 40 years ago and either are "paid up" or pay almost nothing for their home because prices were much cheaper relative to salaries when they bought and are in no danger of foreclosure (which is what is producing a lot of the "vacancies" and resulting price drops elsewhere). If housing prices are half what they were two years ago (true in many places), these people are going to stay put. They don't lose anything by staying put and supply is so low vs. demand that extreme prices happen because the few that can afford it fill the supply. Unlike most areas, we are so sprawling and dense that we cannot "build" our way to more supply (whereas in many places that had the most extreme downturn like Arizona, the problem was overbuilding to begin with and then trying to make that overbuilding profitable by offering mortgages few can really afford in the long term). And in the places where we can "build" the people who already live there are usually extremely against it. There's a lot of a "lucky me, I have mine, too bad you can't have yours" mentality around here.

It's actually not becoming harder and more expensive, it's less expensive but still out of reach for almost the same amount of people. At the peak the average home price was $700K here, now it's $550K. Most people either can afford both amounts or neither since they are so high to begin with relative to most incomes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County