Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 08:46 AM

69 posts, read 336,092 times

Advertisements

SAT score for New Rochelle vs everywhere else in NYC (quite a bit more unbiased since it is a national test):

SAT Scores

It is comparable to the good NYC public high schools, like Bayside/Cardozo in Queens, in other word barely acceptable.

However, it is nowhere near the specialized high schools. Even Scarsdale would only be comparable to a low end specialized high school like Brooklyn Tech, Stuyvesant is easily a full tier higher (1405 vs 1256 from Scarsdale). That is the beauty of NYC, if you are exceptional, you will get an opportunity to attend an elite school as good as any suburban public schools (and better than 99% of the private schools that don't even dare to publish their SAT scores).

I got into Brooklyn Tech myself two years after I came to the U.S., never spoke a word of English before I got here, it wasn't that hard. In my opinion you are robbing your own child's potential if you go with New Rochelle over an NYC school. In NYC they at least have a chance to get into an elite school, in New Rochelle they are doomed with mediocrity.

I would only consider a Westchester school if it is one of the top tier ones like Scarsdale or Rye. Paying so much real estate tax for a 1000-1050 SAT score school is retarded. I rather have my child grow up in say, Forest Hills queens (964 SAT score, only half a tier lower than low end NR schools), and let him/her take the SSAT and see what happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 09:14 AM

295 posts, read 1,505,354 times
Teenagers already have a unique personality & it would be ideal to match the personality with the kid.

The specialized High Schools are great. They require not much English (but you need to speak, read & understand enough to do well on the test compared to native speakers). They do require a lot of dedication & independence on the child's part. Many travel 1 hr or more to get to school on subways & buses....if they get in at all (some just don't do well on the standardized test).

Private schools can be (not in every case) a little better for calling the parents if the child is not coming to school, ect.

If the above 2 are not options, it is really common for people to move into districts where the schools are good. (Forest Hills, Bayside, Cardozo, ect are actually very desired schools when you take into consideration the others & many ppl buy in the zoned areas for that reason). If cost is an issue, the increase in property taxes will often be less than sending your kid to a comparable private school.

And: if your kid is brilliant, independent & mature, they will do well ANYWHERE.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:50 PM

943 posts, read 4,258,693 times
Thanks for all the posts, although I was just saying schools in general and not just high schools.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:05 AM

19 posts, read 92,037 times
how are people on here rating new rochelle high school based on the outside of the school and something they read online? its like judging a book by its cover and reading the back of the book... you guys are really screwing people over by doing that. if you never stepped foot inside the school DONT COMMENT! any way i graduated from new rochelle high school ( class of 2009 ) The break down of the school is roughly 40% hispanic 35% black 5% other and 20% white. it is very diverse and you really do meet every type of person from every background possible. that is the only good thing i can say based on other schools in the area. the school has 4000 kids it is un organized , over populated and it gets out of control sometimes the school is sport oriented and only really focuses on the " advance placement students" other schools in the area are just a better deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County