Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2009, 10:46 AM

49 posts, read 158,886 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Saw a few listings for apartments on Warburton Avenue, addresses around 1000-1100's near the Metro North station.

I have no idea what this neighborhood is like and hope someone can weigh on with some details.

Thanks,
Ellen

Last edited by EllieLA; 08-22-2009 at 10:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 02:09 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,308,105 times
There's nothing much really happening on this part of warburton, its a very quiet and residential neighborhood. You have St. Johns hospital further on broadway, and untermeyer park in the vicinity. As far as local shopping options go there aren't too many, you can either head a little north to Hastings (and Dobbs Ferry) or further south in the square. Alternatively you can also go shopping on Central ave too.

The convenient thing is the Greystone metro north station in that area, very short trips to Manhattan or The Bronx (and other places on the hudson). The other public transit options other than the metro north aren't bad around there either, since your close to the Yonkers city line the 1(w,c,t) bus has more frequent service (although those routes are mainly north-south). You can also use metro cards on the bee-line. I personally would say a car is much more convienient than public transportation in this neighborhood, and on that part of warburton.

some of the buildings in that area have great views of the river and the Plaisades, and Untermeyer park is really a gem.

Old 08-22-2009, 04:48 PM

Thanks Wordlife.
I had a feeling it might be like that. You have to weigh so many options when choosing a place to live.

Are the buildings in that address block within walking distance of the Metro North station? Just wondering if it would be doable, even in the winter.

Best,
Ellen

Old 08-23-2009, 11:16 AM

2,006 posts, read 4,308,105 times
Most of the apts in that zip are built very close to the Metro North station (there's even one where I think you can walk out the back of the building through the parking lot to the station). In any case its a short walk, but the neighborhood is on a hill and that part of warburton is very hilly. The walk from the apt to station would probably be about 5-15 min.

there's also a nice walking path they built on warburton a few years back not too far away, another place to get good views of the hudson all year round.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:56 AM

10 posts, read 32,337 times
I was looking in that area a couple years ago and it is not as nice as they were planning for it to be. I know at the time I was a single woman and I did not feel safe walking home from the train station at night. There were a lot of plans for that area but since the budget has been cut restaurants near the train station have closed, etc.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:32 PM

BarbieG72,

You said the area wasn't good two years ago.
Is it the same/better/worse now?

Thanks!

Old 08-27-2009, 11:11 AM

10 posts, read 32,337 times
Hi EllieLA, it is hard to say so I will share the data with you. This is from Trulia for Northwest Yonkers ....the prices are still dropping. I also included a link on crime and community information for that area.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

The median sales price for homes in Northwest Yonkers, Yonkers for May 09 to Jul 09 was $386,753 based on 4 sales. Compared to the same period one year ago, the median sales price decreased 1%, or $3,947, and the number of sales decreased 80%. Average price per square foot for Northwest Yonkers was $176, a decrease of 26.7% compared to the same period last year.

There are currently 211 resale and new homes in Yonkers on Trulia, including 1 open house, as well as 8 homes in the pre-foreclosure, auction, or bank-owned stages of the foreclosure process.

Last edited by Yac; 09-29-2009 at 07:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County