Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 10:43 PM

12 posts, read 89,405 times

Advertisements

We are looking at homes in Larchmont, Rye, West Harrison, and Harrison and are planning on using the express trains from Harrison, Larchmont, or White Plains. My husband goes in early to work so getting their won't be that big of a deal but I've heard from someone that the 2/3 train going to Grand Central from Wall Street is super crowded and slow (30 minutes??). Does anyone have any experience in this commute and is it bearable. Our other option is to live in Summit, NJ (take Path from Newark) or Ridgewood, NJ (train down to Hoboken and take ferry- this one looks like the easiest and quickest commute but I don't like the NJ traffic I've encountered in house hunting, and the feel of the shopping in Paramus (one huge busy street it's all centered on)).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2007, 01:45 PM

7 posts, read 80,792 times
Default Westchester travel

You can use Metro North Railroad from Westchester...Hope you can work to station...........You might outerwise pay monthly for parking

Old 04-28-2007, 03:02 PM

4,538 posts, read 12,400,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmd1117 View Post
We are looking at homes in Larchmont, Rye, West Harrison, and Harrison and are planning on using the express trains from Harrison, Larchmont, or White Plains. My husband goes in early to work so getting their won't be that big of a deal but I've heard from someone that the 2/3 train going to Grand Central from Wall Street is super crowded and slow (30 minutes??).
I'm confused. Have they renumbered the subway lines in NYC? I thought the 2 and 3 trains went down the west side, and that it was the 4,5,&6 subway line on the east side that went from GCT to Wall Street. Now those trains were REALLY crowded, but it's been a long time since I did that commute.

Old 04-28-2007, 04:28 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,326,964 times
I have commuted from Ridgewood, New Rochelle and Larchmont. Both New Rochelle and Larchmont commutes are preferable to a Ridgewood commute.
The commute home is pretty easy. There are so many trains leaving GC that if one's crowded just grab another. And a 30 minute commute is fast, not slow. Check this link for schedules. http://www.mta.info/mnr/

Old 04-29-2007, 11:14 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,367,242 times
Yeah the original poster got the subway lines backwards. From Grand Central, which is where the trains from Westchester Countr and Fairfield Co, CT go, you would take the 4/5 down to Wall Street.

From Penn Station (which gets trains from NJ and Long Island) you would take the 2/3.

I'm not sure on the specifics of the commute during rush hour though. Someone else will have to fill you out on that.

Old 05-08-2007, 06:54 PM

3 posts, read 27,629 times
My husband did the commute from Tarrytown to Grand Central (about the same distance as the towns you mention) and then the 4/5 down to Wall Street for 5 years. It took him at least 1hr. and 10 mins door to door. The problem always was that when you take two trains there is more potential for problems. Particularly, there have been a lot of problems on the 4 and 5 recently - my husband works near Grand Central now and he has been relieved not to have to take the subway. We have always heard that the commute from New Jersey is much easier to Wall Street. Personally I like Westchester much better too, but then you have to bear with a longer and more unpredictable commute.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:12 PM

82 posts, read 109,871 times
Do yourself a favor and move to the Jersey shore. Everyone I meet lately on the ferry from Atlantic Highlands to Wall St seems to be a transplant from either Westchester, Long Island or Manhattan. If you could afford the towns you mentioned, then you can probably afford eastern Monmouth county...particularly Rumson, Fair Haven or Little Silver. Thirty five minute commute to Wall St, Pier 11 by way of high-speed ferry. Very nice upscale shore communities, close proximity to Red Bank and excellent schools.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:18 PM

131 posts, read 792,779 times
Default West Harrison

We lived in West Harrison for a while and commuted to Grand Central. Be aware that West Harrison doesn't have its own train station (it's actually part of White Plains, post-office-wise, not Harrison--it's sometimes called East White Plains or Silver Lake.) As I recall, the closest train station was North White Plains. You might want to look into the parking situation at this and any other stations for towns you're considering. Find out what their policies are regarding resident vs. non-resident parking, whether there are permits available or if there is a long waiting list, how much it costs, etc. Parking at most Metro-North stations is tight and I think waiting lists are common; it's also very expensive. Public transportation to train stations varies from town to town; some have decent service and some don't. If you buy a house and then find that you can't get a parking permit and don't have access to public transportation to the train, you'll have to figure out how you're going to get there & back every morning & evening. It can add a lot of stress to your day.
Karen

Old 05-10-2007, 12:06 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,367,242 times
The ferry from the Atlantic Highlands, while quick (35-40 minutes) and efficient is VERY expensive. So that needs to be kept into consideration. Also they are just starting up a ferry service from the Yonkers waterfront that goes down to Wall St. The boats for this route aren't nearly as fast as the ones used for the Sea Streak (Atlantic Highlands -> Wall St) route, so the ride from Yonkers to Wall St takes, I believe, 50 minutes.

There is tons of parking at the White Plains train station. There is a big lot behind the train station next to the county convention center where you can park. I believe it costs $5 per days in the morning and $4 per day if you park there in the afternoon. There are also a couple other lots in the surrounding area, and the large parking decks next to the train station, but these require a monthly permit available to only town residents.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:21 PM

10 posts, read 87,205 times
what about the hudson river towns, Irvington, for example is where alot of wall st. families live. Its charming, great schools and 5o minutes to grand central and of course number 1, 2 or 3 on the west side lines are easily accessible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County