U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2009, 10:11 PM

49 posts, read 146,805 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Was wondering what life is like in Bedford Hills.
It seems on the rural side from what I've read but I haven't been able to find out much about the village itself.

I've also looked for photos of the village and couldn't find anything to give me a feel for what it's like, so if anyone has a place I can look, that would be great.

Also, where do residents do stuff like food shopping and see movies?
Not a fan of malls or big chains. I prefer going to mom and pop stores, if they even exist anymore.

How are the winters usually?

Thanks for your help!
EllieLA
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 05:22 AM

7,079 posts, read 36,369,633 times
The area around the train station is what one would consider the main part of Bedford Hills. There are some homes in town and others, with more land, in the immediate surrounding area. These are not cheap, as they're usually a few acres (with real estate taxes to match).

Shopping is nearby at the A&P in Mount Kisco (there is nearer shopping, but it's not as good). There's also a Target in the shopping center.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:54 AM

49 posts, read 146,805 times
Thanks viralmd.

What about movies? First-run and independent.
Are there theatres nearby?

Old 08-25-2009, 07:56 AM

10,632 posts, read 17,655,736 times
You'll be heading to Mt. Kisco for that, it's pretty much the "Hub" of Northern Westchester. There is a movie theater there (I'm not a big fan of that one, it's kind of old) or you can head to Hawthorne or even Danbury, CT for a larger Multiplex. Mt. Kisco also has a lot of shopping, restaurants, etc.

The downtown area of Bedford Hills near the train station is very small, there is a deli, a gourmet food shop, and a couple of small specialty shops. There is a large latino/immigrant population in that area. There is some overcrowded housing in that area and one or two apartment complexes that are not that great (if you are looking for rentals, stay away from the ones on Rome Ave). Once you branch out from the immediate downtown area, you head into a more rural area with beautiful houses on acres of land.

But again, you have tons of options for shopping in Mt. Kisco... even if you don't want to shop at a Target or an A&P, there are plenty of smaller locally owned stores in Kisco as well. There is even a locally owned supermarket, Mrs. Green's (they have a few locations throughout Westchester).

Old 08-25-2009, 10:00 AM

10,919 posts, read 28,799,760 times
For independent films, you might have to make a drive to Pleasantville (Jacob Burns), Bronxville (Bronxville Cinema), Larchmont (Larchmont Playhouse), White Plains (Cinema 100), or Stamford (The Avon). Can you tell that we like independent films in my family as well?

In Bedford, the Bedford Playhouse screens two movies, and there is, as mentioned, another theater in Mount Kisco. For a larger theater, the Cinema de Lux Multiplex is in White Plains as well, which is at the City Center Mall.

To add to the shopping already mentioned, there are two Mrs. Green's Natural Markets in the area, one in Katonah, and the other in Mount Kisco. Mrs. Green's is a small, local chain, and offers products that can be difficult to find in larger grocery stores. Nature's Temptations has two locations, one in Cross River, and the other in Ridgefield, for a local whole foods/organic market that's also very good. The nearest Whole Foods (brand) Market is in White Plains or Greenwich (depending upon which side of Bedford).

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-25-2009, 10:07 AM

12,239 posts, read 16,023,745 times
My cousins live in Bedford Hills...very rich, beautiful area...rural feel, cute little town...metro north comes right in.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:25 PM

2 posts, read 6,508 times
Is there any sort of public pool clubs in Bedford? If not, what are the private pool clubs like? Are they hard to get into for the summer?

Old 03-05-2010, 04:29 PM

2 posts, read 6,508 times
Also, are there any summer day camps? My kids are both under 8 years old

Old 03-05-2010, 09:27 PM

2,525 posts, read 6,158,229 times
Yes, both town and private. Too many to enumerate. These guys always run directories of local camps. Welcome to Westchester Family Online So do the other westchester family magazines that are distributed in doctors offices, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County