Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 12:05 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,369,396 times

Advertisements

Sleepy Hollow is a nice town, but it seems to have a lot of FOB hispanic immigrants. If I had kids, I don't know if I'd want to put them into a school district where a huge percentage of the resources would be spent on teaching Mexican and Guatamalan children how to speak English instead of teaching your children how to excel in subjects like reading and math.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2007, 07:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,595 times
I would have to agree that Woodlawn is a great area and very convenient to the city. PS 19 is within walking distance and is absolutely amazing. This is greatly due to it being a very close knit family orientated neighborhood. The parents are very involved firsthand with their children and that is key to education. Woodlawn has a taste of the city with a slight suburban feel to it. As far as the other areas mentioned, they too are great for the same above reasons. Just be sure to live within your means, which unfortunately not many people do. As long as your children return to your home and you are involved in making sure they are doing their work and get extra help if needed they will do well anywhere. Make sure you can provide for them now and for future education. Don't leave them to pay their own way through college and such because you wanted a really great house in a beautiful area. That is the unfare robbery taking place with alot of children.
Best of luck wherever you may go.

Old 07-21-2007, 08:05 PM

While the local grade school in Woodlawn is one of the few good public schools in the Bronx, I am fairly sure that the high school that the kids are zoned for in Woodlawn is pretty bad. So unless your kid is a genius and can get into Bronx Science they might have some problems.

In my opinion it might be a better idea to live across the border in Yonkers if you are concerned about public schools.

Old 07-22-2007, 08:01 AM

314 posts, read 492,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michlars View Post
We are a family of seven who have needed to move to NYC for a couple of years now. My husband has been commuting 6hrs by plane and we figure it's time... I have researched the schools thoroughly because we are looking at this move to have the best education for the kids and to have each other every night. So, we are looking for a simple, safe, yet culturally interesting experience for our family. Any great neighborhoods you know of that have walk to schools and large affordable houses? Our realtor keeps us in the Rye area, but I am reluctant to move to any area that a fixer house is $2 million. I cant help but imagine the kind of children that are growing up in areas that have 2 -10 million dollar houses. In contrast, some of the affordable areas seem to be crime ridden. Is there a happy medium? What about Yonkers--there seems to be some great houses and good schools, but we don't want to be driving all day to get here and there (or scared for our lives). Any advice?
first, wouldn't this post be better served in the NY section? i know westchester borders nyc, but still...

second, i wouldn't be so quick to judge the families/kids that grow up in an area tha thas 2-10 million dollar houses. you can afford to have 7 kids, 6-hr. weekly plane flights, are looking for the 'best education' for the kiddies, want a 'cultrually interesting experience' and a 'great neighborhood...large affordable house.' sounds to me like you'll fit right in with those people who you seem to think are too arrogant and privileged for your tastes.

third, if you're coming to this area, forget about getting away from all crime. the priciest blocks on manhattan have some crime. is it as much as ENY? no, but it exists. beth-o was walking her dog a few months ago in the UWS, when some ghetto teenagers blew a dog whistle really loudly and hurt her dog. when she called the kids on it, they got up in her face.

fourth, yonkers has many middle class neighborhoods, especially up the hill from the wakefield metro north station. it's largely irish and can be quite parochial. as you've read here, yonkers schools aren't the best in the world, but i think they're fine. i don't buy into the horrible school thing. there are only a few truly horrible schools i know, and they're in sections of nyc that you wouldn't set foot in, if someone gave you a house there. white plains has some middle class neighborhoods, although more expensive. white plains is supposed to have good schools, too.

Old 07-22-2007, 11:10 AM

Yeah sometimes Woodlawn/Eastern Yonkers can seem a bit parochial. A little bit "Going My Way," perhaps, but its really a nice area. I think people say that the schools are bad in Yonkers because they compare them to the schools that they have a couple miles up the Bronx River parkway in Bronxville and Scarsdale (which have some of the best schools in the country). So in reality the schools aren't so bad, but in comparison they don't look as good as the upper-crust schools in the area.

Just a couple of days ago Katonah was actually being used as the set for some upcoming movie. Here's a link for info about the movie: Synecdoche, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . It was really a bizzare sight to see.

Old 07-22-2007, 11:20 AM

6 posts, read 24,487 times
Definitley Mamaroneck is a happy medium. It's right next to Larchmont which is affluent, but Mamaroneck holds both the poor and the rich. Larchmont kids are part of the Mamaroneck school district, so your kids won't be spoiled but they'll get an awesome education.

Old 08-01-2007, 05:16 AM

7 posts, read 55,266 times
Check out Pelham. Houses are more affordable but taxes are higher. Schools are excellent. The only downside (maybe) is that there's fewer town amenities like a YMCA or town pool.

Old 10-07-2007, 06:49 PM

10 posts, read 87,221 times
Definitely the hudson river towns. (town above yonkers) Hastings, Dobbs Ferry, Ardsley; Irvington, or Tarrytown. Great schools, proximity of 45 to 55 minutes to nyc. or 25 minutes by car. However, lower westchester has v. high property taxes and high value of homes. You might want to buy a house with land and put an extention accordingly. Its quite expensive here however if you futher north you might get more house for your money. so, check ou tMt. Kisco area such Katoha, goldens bridge, sommers, salem.

Old 10-23-2007, 06:21 PM

206 posts, read 514,557 times
Default Check out Valhalla

Don't forget Valhalla schools. Look at Greatschools.com it is highly rated! This is perfect if you are looking for a smaller school district where parents and teachers all know each other and has a very active PTA, not to mention a VERY safe setting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County