U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 10:00 PM

395 posts, read 1,502,393 times

Advertisements

LOL - it really does live up to its name! Feel free to PM me - I relied a lot on this board in moving cross country so happy to return the favor.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 10:02 AM

835 posts, read 2,215,101 times
I just wanted to say that we recently bought a house in the Greenacres section of Scarsdale and we like it here a lot. Scarsdale gets a very bad rap for being snobby/pretentious/too high-pressure/etc, but I think that it's WAY overblown and not necessarily based in reality. But that's the stock answer about Scarsdale so the stereotype just gets perpetuated. All of the neighbors we have met are very friendly and down to earth. There are far fewer stay-at-home moms that I thought there would be too. The location is FABULOUS as well.

Anyhow, I just wanted to put that out there because you had mentioned Greenacres and Edgewood. Good luck with your search! We too liked the look of Pleasantville but there just wasn't anything for sale when we moved. It seems that there are very few houses ever for sale there.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:26 PM

94 posts, read 302,583 times
I think the only issue with Pleasantville is the name. The town itself is pretty charming, well laid out, and centrally located.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:10 PM

10,919 posts, read 28,695,703 times
I think that the issue with Pelham's walkable nature is in comparison to Larchmont and Bronxville, both of which have larger, centralized commercial areas that make for the reality of walking to a shop, restaurant, the theatre, etc. on a daily basis. It's not to say that one cannot walk to some conveniences in Pelham, but it's definitely not the same as the city.

In terms of crime, in Pelaham, there's no issue at all, I agree, it's just that if one has a child who tends to get into trouble, there's closer opportunity in some parts of Mount Vernon and New Rochelle that can be a drawback for some. Although few places are immune to that sort of influence these days. Pelham is a great area, though, especially for a fast commute.

Scarsdale is a matter of debate, since there are some who attach a snobby reputation to Rye, though in Rye the wealth has not been as ostentatious, more focused on club memberships and the like. Bronxville also gets its share of detractors for the snob value, though it's not as easily identified as some other areas of the county. It's a matter of debate, and is largely focused on the group within a respective town/village as to whether a cultural type exists in that particular area, not to mention the frame of reference for the comparison. Some who have been around the county a long time can predict with a good degree of reliability the town/village from which one hails by behavior and to a certain extent language.

In Irvington, you are eligible to join recreation facilities in the Town of Greenburgh, since Irvington is a village within the town, not a coterminous town/village as is Scarsdale. Hastings is a nice village, but it's tiny, with a small downtown, but you're close to many other areas.

The problem with recommending places in Fairfield that you'd probably like is the commute, since you're at 45-minutes for Greenwich and longer travel times for many great areas.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 09-29-2009, 02:54 PM

3 posts, read 20,606 times
Hi boundfortheburbs
I live in Pleasantville, but on the side with Armonk schools. I know the towns of Armonk and Pleasantville very well and love both of them for different reasons. We cannot walk to either village, but are central enough to get Pville, Armonk and Chappaqua in 5 mins.
We moved here from overseas and have found the community fantastic, the schools have been beyond our expectations. Would be pleased to answer more questions.

Last edited by aleffel; 09-29-2009 at 04:14 PM..

Old 09-29-2009, 04:52 PM

342 posts, read 1,014,957 times
Default pleasantville

Cali and others from Pleasantville- Thank you so much for coming to the boards with followups about the areas you live. It is so helpful to the rest of us who are trying to figure it all out!

I have a question about Pleasantville. My understanding is that buses are not provided. I have 3 children, all who usually participate in after school activities (sports, clubs, drama...) From what I've read, most kids don't actually walk to school, their parents drive them. With 3 kids in two different schools with tons of after school activities, I imagine I would be driving everyone everywhere, multiple times, every day. Nightmare. Wat is it really like? Thanks!

Old 09-29-2009, 04:59 PM

3 posts, read 20,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergarden View Post
Cali and others from Pleasantville- Thank you so much for coming to the boards with followups about the areas you live. It is so helpful to the rest of us who are trying to figure it all out!

I have a question about Pleasantville. My understanding is that buses are not provided. I have 3 children, all who usually participate in after school activities (sports, clubs, drama...) From what I've read, most kids don't actually walk to school, their parents drive them. With 3 kids in two different schools with tons of after school activities, I imagine I would be driving everyone everywhere, multiple times, every day. Nightmare. Wat is it really like? Thanks!
It is true that Pville does not have buses, but most people do walk. Look at Byram Hills schools (Armonk) for great buses AND an activity bus that take kids to after school activities in the town of Armonk - invaluable!

Old 09-29-2009, 06:21 PM

395 posts, read 1,502,393 times
Wow that activity bus sounds awesome!! Currently we live within a 2 minute drive of the elementary school, train station, and preschool in P-ville, so our driving radius is quite small and still manageable. My son's preschool has an after-school program that brings the kids from the elementary school to the preschool facility, and we pick them both up together at the end of the day. I have to say this is a fantastic one-stop-shop option especially if you have an infant or toddler needing childcare as well as a preschool or gradeschooler, and we are happy with the program there so far.

That being said, in 2 years when my son is in Kindergarten we would have to re-evaluate the after-school options. The village has after school activities you can sign up for on certain days of the week but not a full time 5-day program like I believe Armonk has. We were actually very close to putting an offer in on a house in P-ville/Armonk schools (off of Bear Ridge Road) but in the end we opted to be closer to the train.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:38 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,150,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergarden View Post

The three schools (Elem., Middle, and High) are very close to each other.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:16 AM

342 posts, read 1,014,957 times
Thank you all for the info. I have 2 high schoolers and a middle schooler. I'm assuming that the schools start and end at different times and hence after school activities start and end at different times. From what I've seen on the maps, bike lanes and sidewalks are limited. Additionally, I'm fine with my kids walking to school on nice days, but rainy, snowy, icy days carrying projects and instruments - not so thrilled. I'm fortunate enough to be a stay at home mom or a part time working mom, but the thought of my life dedicated as a school bus does not thrill me.

Thank you for the information!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County