U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 11:38 AM

7,149 posts, read 10,753,387 times

Advertisements

We are looking to buy a house / townhouse in Chappaqua ideally within walking distance from the train station.

What kind of homes in Chappaqua are within walking distance to the train station and what is their physical condition?

What would be the price range for those homes and how much are the taxes?

is there a flooding problem in the area?

We currently live and work in NYC and would like to maintain a "walk to everything" routine.

Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 09:51 AM

701 posts, read 3,119,269 times
There are a few townhouse developments, only 1 of which is really very close to the train station. There are 2 other developments that a re a bit further, Apple Hill (Technically in Pleasantville, but Chappaqua Schools), and Old Farm Lake. You can walk to the train from them, but it's about 1-1 1/2 miles. Apple Hills/Old Farm Lake Townhouses run from 1200-1700 square feet, 2-3 bedroom mostly, with prices from high 400's to low 600's in this market. (A 3 bedroom would cost in the mid 500's mostly).

Closer to the train, there are single family homes. Some will be good-sized homes, fully renovated, etc... Others will be small, on small lots, and possibly needing some work (though you shouldn't see too many that are falling apart). Prices will typically run a bit more than the townhouses, for a similar unit in similar quality. (Since you are also buying land).
The townhouses have relatively low taxes, but you will pay home owner's fees. The single-family houses will see taxes in the 15k-20k range.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:18 PM

/\/\

Thanks. I saw some Chappaqua single family listings on the Houlihan Lawrence website that had estimated taxes of about $10K to $12K (on home prices of high $500K to high $600K), and I thought they were unusually low for a Westchester neighborhood with a good school district. Would those estimates be realistic?

Old 05-25-2010, 01:04 PM

Those taxes may indeed be accurate for 500-600k homes. I was thinking more like 700k-1m houses.
But be warned, while those single family homes may be perfectly adequate for your needs, in that price range, in Chappaqua, those houses probably have issues. They may simply be very small, or they may have more significant issues. Due to design issues, a 1600 sq townhouse usually has more usable living space than a 1600 sf single family house. You may be better off looking at townhouses in that range, though if you are looking for 3 bedrooms, the pickings can be slim.

Of course, prices have dropped in the last 3 years, and maybe they have dropped even more than I'm accounting for.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:36 PM

54 posts, read 215,702 times
Havoc, those taxes sound about right. During our search, for houses assessed in the 900-1mm range, we have seen taxes around 19-22 (obviously, assessments do not track sales/assessments exactly). And the fact is, even now, in Chappaqua anything under 1mm likely has some sort of "issue", and/or is on the smaller side. (But things have improved- when we first started our search a few years ago, the cutoff was about 1.3m to see a decent 4 br, 2.5 bath without significant issues).

Old 05-25-2010, 04:44 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,173,593 times
Occasionally, you can save yourself some bucks by buying a house within a school district but now within the village proper. You avoid one of the many taxing entities that way.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:01 PM

2 posts, read 5,112 times
I just found this forum, having found out today I will be moving my family from the San Francisco Bay Area all the way to New York. Husband just took a job in NYC, midtown. I'm a writer and can work from anywhere. Problem is we have two teenage boys, one who loves football, the other drama. I want to find a good community for them. FYI, we are in a very academic/competitive high school communuty by California standards, with lots of attitude. Don't care for it, but can handle it.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:09 AM

CaliPeg...
Based on that limited information, there are many towns that could work for you. What type of budget are you looking at, and how long a train ride is acceptable for your husband?

Old 05-26-2010, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc315 View Post
Those taxes may indeed be accurate for 500-600k homes. I was thinking more like 700k-1m houses.
But be warned, while those single family homes may be perfectly adequate for your needs, in that price range, in Chappaqua, those houses probably have issues. They may simply be very small, or they may have more significant issues. Due to design issues, a 1600 sq townhouse usually has more usable living space than a 1600 sf single family house. You may be better off looking at townhouses in that range, though if you are looking for 3 bedrooms, the pickings can be slim.

Of course, prices have dropped in the last 3 years, and maybe they have dropped even more than I'm accounting for.
Thanks, this helps a lot.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleScout94 View Post
And the fact is, even now, in Chappaqua anything under 1mm likely has some sort of "issue", and/or is on the smaller side.
Based on your experience, what kind of issues would those houses have aside from size?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County