U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 09:27 PM

395 posts, read 1,503,239 times

Advertisements

LOL - as JJ said it's just a function of smaller homes on smaller lots, and there are not many residential streets that fit this description. Once you get over the bridge to 120 or onto Bedford Road on the other side of town, the houses get more spread out rather quickly.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 08:33 AM

7,149 posts, read 10,694,457 times
Thank you for the insights. If the main issue is really space then the homes close to Chappaqua town center indeed look like a good deal.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:29 AM

The only other thing I would mention is if the house is zoned for Grafflin elementary school, your kids will be going to school with kids living at the uppermost levels of wealth in Chappaqua. Most of these people are very nice, but there will be birthday parties, playdates, etc. where the disparity may be obvious even to kids. It all depends on if and how you want to handle that. The kids get combined and middle and high school anyway, but I like the fact that our neighbors and elementary school families have mostly similar lifestyles.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:56 AM

Yup, according to the broker's website, those homes listed close to the town are zoned for Grafflin.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:49 AM

If you can find a house on the west side of the Saw Mill that is close to town, you'll have the best of both worlds: convenience to town and train station, and Roaring Brook elementary school which is more consistently upper middle class and not stratospherically wealthy.

These kids do combine with Grafflin to go to Bell Middle School. Like I said you will have to deal with that factor at some point, but for what it's worth I have found people here (unlike perhaps the affluent communities in southern Westchester) are for the most part not very flashy with their material possessions. You may pull up to a $3mil house and find an older Volvo or Subaru Outback in the driveway (and not just the nanny's car ).

Old 11-23-2010, 12:21 PM

/\/\

Thanks. What is the community's take on the Crossings condominium project at the Readers' Digest campus? I've read some strong objections about it because residents are afraid that newcomers would lead to higher class sizes. Isn't the school district contractually bound to keep class sizes below a certain level?

Old 11-23-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Thanks. What is the community's take on the Crossings condominium project at the Readers' Digest campus? I've read some strong objections about it because residents are afraid that newcomers would lead to higher class sizes. Isn't the school district contractually bound to keep class sizes below a certain level?
I haven't attended any meetings myself, but from anecdotal evidence it seems that the community opposition is on several fronts including evironmental impact - on septic & well systems and green space, traffic impact - the Saw Mill Signal crossing at the Saw Mill is already frequently backed up, and all other access roads including Bedford Road are single lane roads that are also frequently jammed. The school district is likely opposed because accommodating additional children will require more resources including teachers and classrooms, the cost of which may not be adequately offset by additional school taxes paid by the new residents (I'm not saying this is a fact, just their argument).

I'm sure there is also some elitist sentiment that opposes the required percentage of low income housing that would be part of the new development, and most people would prefer that another large corporation move into the existing space instead to offer some tax relief to residents.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:36 PM

/\/\

I see. It's the implications to the school district that would concern me the most, since that is the primary reason why we would move to Chappaqua. Oh well. It looks like every good-school suburb we've looked at is having its own issues at the present - Garden City, Pleasantville etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County