Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2009, 09:12 PM

13 posts, read 94,965 times

Advertisements

We recently visited Irvington and really liked it. A few attractive houses were though about 1 1/2 - 2 miles from the train station. It appears that Irvington residents can park at the Ardsley-on-Hudson station: http://www.irvingtonny.gov/DocumentView.aspx?DID=13

Does anyone have advice regarding the pros and cons of parking at the station or the Aqueduct lot or S. Buckhout St. etc?

Do most Irvington residents simply park at the Ardsley-on-the-Hudson station or hike it to the Irvington/Ardsley-on-the-Hudson station or carpool or ride a bike? And though I will call to inquire about availability, does anyone have advice regarding the pros and cons of parking at or near Ardsley-on-the-Hudson? (Is it right that no one or very few park at/near the Irvington proper station?)

Also, I see that the on the bee line that bus #66 goes down Route 9 through Irvington. Does this stop at the top of Main Street (I'd assume so)? And does anyone know where the bus stops along Route 9?

Along this vein, can anyone shed light on the train parking and bus situation with Pleasantville and Croton?

Thanks in advance.

I see the bus stops at Main St. in Irvington. I'm still wondering where it stops along Route 9/North Broadway. Does it stop at South Broadway and Sunnyside Lane? Thanks.

http://www.westchestergov.com/beelin...ps/1_1Tmap.pdf

Last edited by Viralmd; 10-20-2009 at 05:41 AM.. Reason: same poster
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 08:06 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,191,917 times
Re the Croton station:

Currently the station is a bit of a nightmare since they are in the middle of a long and complicated construction project. Prior to the project, one of the non-resident lots flooded every full moon (due to the tidal rise of the croton river). The project should fix that problem when it is done. Unitl then, there is less parking for all, but there are alternate parking areas and shuttle buses. The town website does a great job of keeping everyone updated on progresss, and you can sign up for email updates too.

Before the construction--and hopefully after--the parking situation was great. There is a huge amount of permit parking for residents and non-residents and a very large daily parking area too. When we moved here the wait list for a non-resident permit was 2 months. During that time I used the daily parking--my wife still does on occasion and she never has trouble finding a space as long as she gets there before 10:30 According to the website there is currently a waiting list for non-residents, but not for residents.

Village of Croton-on-Hudson, NY - Croton-Harmon Train Station Parking Lot

Old 10-20-2009, 08:53 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,191,917 times
I realize I neglected parts of the question: Most Crotonites I know drive to the station, but parts of town are certainly within walking distance. Some people definitely take the Bee Line bus--I don't know all the routes, but they stop in Croton and one goes to Yorktown Heights and beyond from the station. A growing number of people bike to the station--I see a number on my drive each morning, and there are more and more bikes at the station. As for car pools, I've done it with neighbors for periods of time, and I know some neighbors who currently do it, but you have to be able to have a very routinized schedule to make it work. I tend to leave work at different times each day, depending on deadlines and workload, so a carpool has always been a hardship given the need to coordinate trains with other people. But people certainly do it.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:22 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,307,278 times
I would say that the bus service is far from consistent in those towns, and it ends very early (sometimes before 6pm or maybe before 7pm)

I think the 14 bus serves the Croton Harmon station but i'm not exactly sure.

I know if your looking to catch a bus in Irvington, then tough luck, you'll have to walk from broadway all the way down the hill to the train station. The only buses to my knowledge that pass through broadway in Irvington are the 1W, 1T. They don't run after 6 or 7, so you'd probably have to depend on a taxi or carpool. That bus in Irvington stops on Broadway/Route 9 and main so you'd have to walk down that hill and back up. DMA hit the nail on the spot when he said that you'd have to have a routine based schedule to make this work.

and yes the 1T and 1W do stop on bway and sunnyside lane.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:19 PM

13 posts, read 94,965 times
Default thanks!

I appreciate your comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County