Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2007, 02:03 PM

10 posts, read 92,083 times

Advertisements

I'd love to know more about New Rochelle. Which areas are the most desirable to live in? Which should I avoid? Are there bordering towns it's better to be closer to i,e Pelham, Larchmont, Scarsdale, Eastchester, Wykagyl, etc. Also, is living downtown tolerable? I hear that lots of construction is going on. I've also seen reviews where people seem to dislike New Roc city entertainment place. I'm from Manhattan so it would take a lot to truly irritate me soundwise, but is it problematic in other ways? We're going to buy in about a year. We're going to rent until then. We'd like to get a feel for the neighborhood before we take the purchase plunge. A safe neighborhood & good (elementary k-5) schools are our primary concerns. Diversity is not an issue. If you have names of apts, coops,or condos feel free to post them. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2007, 08:01 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,325,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarazlewis View Post
I'd love to know more about New Rochelle. Which areas are the most desirable to live in? Which should I avoid? Are there bordering towns it's better to be closer to i,e Pelham, Larchmont, Scarsdale, Eastchester, Wykagyl, etc. Also, is living downtown tolerable? I hear that lots of construction is going on. I've also seen reviews where people seem to dislike New Roc city entertainment place. I'm from Manhattan so it would take a lot to truly irritate me soundwise, but is it problematic in other ways? We're going to buy in about a year. We're going to rent until then. We'd like to get a feel for the neighborhood before we take the purchase plunge. A safe neighborhood & good (elementary k-5) schools are our primary concerns. Diversity is not an issue. If you have names of apts, coops,or condos feel free to post them. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

New Rochelle is a real mixed bag of neighborhoods. Driving around NR will help you quickly figure out which areas to avoid.

The south end of NR is on LI sound. Some areas are nice, some are seedy. It is very crowded. Everything from apt buildings to condos and single homes and two-three family homes. The water area is crowded with beach clubs and harbors for boats. Water quality in LI sound this close to NYC not so hot. I understand new condos and a new housing development are in the works but I can't tell you anything about them.

Downtown NR fell apart in the '70's. Financial and political misjudgements caused white flight and the perception that NR was dangerous. Bloomingdales left, stores closed, three or four theaters closed. A mall was built but never attracted much business, everybody went to White Plains instead.

Downtown NR now has a building going up with Trump's name on it, another building is going up several blocks away. The downtown area is still a bit seedy, but getting better. New restaurants are opening all the time.

The north end of NR is quite nice, very safe. Many different kinds of homes. Wykagyl is a neighborhood in NR, not a separate town.

Mid-NR is a goofy mix. Close to the train station you want to avoid. On one side of Iona are homes rented by older students. On the other side of Iona NR turns into the land of giant, beautiful homes.

The better public schools are in the north end of NR, including a middle school. The high school is something else. Everyone funnels into the one high school, and it's the largest in Westchester County with over 3000 students. Savvy students quickly figure out where the gangs maintain their turf and avoid those areas. Security is heavy but incidents still occur, and some are serious. Interestingly enough, you won't read about them in the local paper.

The counseling staff at the HS concentrate on the stars and the losers...quiet students fall between the cracks.

New Roc is a problematic entertainment complex in downtown NR with theaters, ice-skating rinks, restaurants, bowling alley and game room. It has become popular with street gangs from the Bronx. It recently had a riot when it got too crowded and rival gangs started bumping elbows. My senior at NR high school wasn't surprised...the buzz in the HS was trouble was going to happen that weekend.

New Rochelle is just okay, long time residents love it. Good luck.

Old 05-12-2007, 04:38 AM

Thanks Dockside! Extremely informative. I see I'll have lots of research to do. You've helped immensley.

Old 05-12-2007, 11:30 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,366,147 times
If you are looking for a somewhat urban town in Westchester, I'd pick White Plains over New Rochelle.

White Plains probably has some of the best train access to the city of any town in the NYC metro area. During the morning rush hour there are trains leaving pretty much every 4-10 minutes from 6:30 am until 9am.

White Plains has also been built up pretty much. There is already a Trump building and a large luxury rental building next to it. They are currently putting up 2 new Ritz Carlton buildings across the street from these. White Plains also has 2 malls, the Galeria which is ok and the Westchester which is more upscale.

Old 05-13-2007, 06:23 PM

Mead,thanks. Question for anyone- if money was no object would you chose White Plains or Pelham judging strictly on neighborhood? I know Pelham taxes are insane but the schools are apparently excellent. Also what can you tell me the difference between Pelham and Pelham Manor?

Old 05-14-2007, 10:04 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,325,731 times
Give some thought to Mamaroneck too, I would recommend it over either Pelham or White Plains. Schools are very good, you have access to the Hommocks Pool, Mamaroneck Beach, and the harbor area is beautiful. Pelham bumps up against Mt. Vernon, not a great area. It is a simple commute into NYC.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:27 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,366,147 times
I believe Pelham Manor is simly more expensive than Pelham. Pelham is very nice and is one of the more reasonably priced places in lower Westchester that has good schools.

As the previous poster mentioned though, the town borders Mount Vernon, so thats a reason why its cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County