U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2009, 09:58 AM

1 posts, read 4,022 times

Advertisements

Hi,

There's a new town home development coming up at the intersection of pelham Road and Weyman road in New Rochelle, NY. I had a few questions regarding this:

1 - How safe is this area?
2 - The town homes look nice The listed price is 600K. The homes look nice. But are they worth the price?

I would appreciate your responses.

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 02:22 PM

10,836 posts, read 17,610,520 times
Personally, I don't think the homes are worth the price, but there is demand to live in the area given how close it is to both the Sound and Manhattan (relatively to further up in Westchester) so that might explain the price. The thing with New Rochelle is it is VERY exclusive (almost "Scarsdalian exclusive") in the extreme northern part of the city and right on the Sound and then in-between the two is where it is very "sketchy". But I think you're quite safe there.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:33 PM

Location: San Fernando Valley, CA but desperately hoping to move back to New York
74 posts, read 336,430 times
My mom lives close to that area. They are really developing it. Whenever I visit, I walk around with no problem. lots of families in the neighborhood. Having grown up in the north end of new Rochelle, i can agree with the OP regarding the comment on exclusivity and price. But I think things are going to keep moving forward in that end of town. It might always be a little sketchy but it's much much better than when I was a kid.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:43 AM

80,430 posts, read 68,500,074 times
Mind your own and you'll have no problem.
Dont make enemies and you'll have no problem.

I grew up in Westchester and moved out after 26 years. It has changed for sure. My grandparents lived on Drake Avenue. In fact my grandparents sold part of their land to the builder and he built those condos on that corner of Pelham road & Drake.

That builder has the hardest time selling them.

I personally dont like the area but you sure will enjoy being near the water. The shops are dirty and suck there. The people aren't great either. Just remember.... the Bronx is down the road...lock your cars.

Last edited by Cambium; 11-23-2009 at 05:53 AM..

Old 11-23-2009, 05:58 AM

413 posts, read 1,058,777 times
Unless the homes offer a lot of amenities, I wouldn't do it. You can buy houses in Pelham for less than that, in really safe neighborhoods, which are walking distance to transportation and decent shops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County