U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2007, 04:41 PM

1 posts, read 6,321 times

Advertisements

We are leaving the city as two hipsters looking for our piece of suburbia.
But my question is why does everyone speak so highly about Rye Brook?
I also don't get the difference between Rye and Rye Brook? (besides the Multi-million dollar homes)
Aren't they just one and the same?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 06:55 PM

142 posts, read 927,780 times
Default Rye and Rye brook

Basically- Rye and Rye Brook are two different towns- w two different school districts. Rye Brook is a newer, smaller village- which borders Greenwich, Purchase and Port Chester. Port Chester divides the two. Both are expensive and have great schools. Rye is beautiful- great town w/ loads of upscale shops, the beach and amazing homes. Towns are very close to each other- right next door, as I mentioned.

Old 08-05-2007, 07:25 PM

7,079 posts, read 36,829,644 times
Just bring PLENTY of money, regardless of which town you choose.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:40 AM

10,630 posts, read 17,968,673 times
They are both beautiful towns, but ridiculously expensive. You'll be paying almost Manhattan prices to live there.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:10 PM

185 posts, read 398,328 times
If you are a "hipster", why are you targeting Rye Brook? It is OK, but doesn't really have a "town", just a couple of shopping centers to designate the "Rye Brook" area. Like all of the above said, bring LOTS of $$$ too! Also, if you are commuting into Manhattan, you might want to check out the train station parking situation too! Good Luck!

Old 10-11-2007, 10:14 AM

12 posts, read 46,312 times
Default I live in Rye Brook

If you haven't already made a decision, skip Rye Brook. I live there. First, a bit of info about municipal government in NY, particularly Westchester. This is stupid, but important. There are towns, which comprise villages and unincorporated areas. There are cities, which are distinct from either towns or villages. There are school districts, which are generally independent of the village, town or city in which they are located.

Rye Brook, Port Chester and an incorporated area known as Rye Neck make up the Town of Rye. This is next door to the City of Rye, which is a totally different thing. The Blind Brook school district covers about 2/3 of Rye Brook. It has an excellent reputation, that I don't think it deserves. The Port Chester school district covers the rest of Rye Brook and all of Port Chester. If you're buying in Rye Brook for the schools, make sure you're very clear on which school district you're buying into. That's good advice anywhere you're buying in Westchester if it's for the schools. Make sure you're getting the district you want, not just an address.

I am so dissatisfied with the Blind Brook schools that we're thinking about moving or putting our son in private school. They are unbelievably obsessed with standardized test scores, to the point where, I believe, real education suffers. There are at least 2 state mandated standardized tests a year every year from 3rd - 8th grade and those years are all about test prep. One small example: The third grade ELA (English Language Arts - reading/writing/spelling to those of over a certain age) is all reading comprehension problems with no writing. According to parents of kids in 2 different 3rd grade classes last year, their kids either had no writing assignments all year or all their writing assignments were optional, depending on the class. It's not on the test? The school doesn't care to teach it. The test scores, you'll be thrilled to know, are excellent.

And I don't care for the community. I've met a few really nice, interesting people here, but there's a large contingent of shallow, cliquey people primarily obsessed with their tennis game, their new Lexus minivan and whether or not they're wearing the right designer jeans. It's hard to imagine people who describe themselves as hipsters being happy here.

There are a few upsides. While the real estate prices are preposterous, they are, perhaps, not quite as preposterous as some other areas of Westchester with reasonable commutes and schools with excellent reputations. You'll probably spend more for a similar house in Scarsdale, Larchmont or Bronxville. The commute is reasonable. While there's no real "here" here and the local Starbucks and other stores in the same shopping center function as the village center, the location is very convenient. It's quick and easy to get on the Hutch or 95. Downtown Rye is less than 10 minutes away. It's about 15 minutes, maybe less, to downtown Greenwich or downtown White Plains. Port Chester, next door, while not where I want to send my kid to school, has some perfectly lovely neighborhoods and has some great ethnic restaurants (heavy on the Latin American) and Joe Bastianich has bought an old burned out restaurant in Port Chester and last anyone heard, maybe he'll renovate and sell or maybe he'll open a restaurant.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:11 AM

8 posts, read 31,228 times
It's totally amzaing how that town has changed. I grew up in Rye Brook starting in 1968. It was a great place to live back then. You didn't have all the one upmanship that you have there now. Yes there were some families that made sure everyone knew that they were loaded but in general everyone was on an even keel. My parents moved out in 1998 and couldn't be happier. I had long left the area and moved to Ct. after living in a condo in PC for a few years. I was down there a couple of months ago and drove by my old neighborhood and couldn't believe what a change. It seems like veryone that has moved in has totally changed all the houses, i understand updating but oh my it was amazing.
Also the prices are outrageous,my parents paid $60,000 for brand new construction in '68 and now million dollars for 1/4 acre lots!

Old 10-14-2007, 11:59 AM

45 posts, read 195,038 times
I suggest Rye over Rye Brook. Rye is more quaint and more expensive. The people are very nice.............and rich.

Old 10-14-2007, 04:02 PM

2,421 posts, read 5,851,499 times
There is nothing less hip than Rye Brook. Rye is much nicer than Rye Brook but is not hip at all. It is filled with affluent preppies.

I don't like to use the word hip to describe it, so the most "artsy" community in lower Westchester County is Hastings-On-Hudson. It is a small village with a very laid back vibe, and only a 35-minute train ride to NYC.

Old 10-14-2007, 04:37 PM

47 posts, read 148,261 times
Default Rye?

Hi! I saw this thread with I read with interest. We are about to move for a job opportunity. My husband will likely be based somewhere near Paramus, NJ. Yet when we visited we fell in love with Rye. Comin from Raleigh, NC where everything as suburban sprawl it was so amazing to us to see the beutiful town with everything....shops, library, arts center, schools etc within a walkable area. We also saw that a children's museum is opening on the waterfront!!!

We have two children 2 years and a first grader. We love our private school here for its warm nurturing environment. They are academically rigorous but make learning fun! It will be hard to give up!

My questions/concerns are .....Is Rye a horrible commute to northern NJ? I've been told it's against the traffic? Second, is Rye a friendly town? Are the people in general more wealthy and down to earth types or more wealthy and wear it on your sleeve types? Finally, are the schools fantastic or stressful and neurotically competetive on an elementary level.

Are there other communities I would be better of looking in to? We are very down to earth people. We want a good town with a walkable core and a strong sense of community.

Any help will be greatly appreciated! I'm going up there in a week to look around Westchester and Bergen county! Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County