U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2009, 09:28 AM

2,406 posts, read 5,725,357 times

Advertisements

We currently have an electric stove and and fairly old oil furance, and are thinking of converting to natural gas for both heat and cooking. Because we are within 100 feet from the gas main, Con Ed will provide the gas line to our house for no charge. Our house is about 2,300 square feet.

Does anyone know if gas is cheaper or more expensive than oil? Do you think converting makes sense?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 09:51 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,218,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
We currently have an electric stove and and fairly old oil furance, and are thinking of converting to natural gas for both heat and cooking. Because we are within 100 feet from the gas main, Con Ed will provide the gas line to our house for no charge. Our house is about 2,300 square feet.

Does anyone know if gas is cheaper or more expensive than oil? Do you think converting makes sense?

Thanks!
My neighbors with oil pay more in total heating than I did last year and that was before I upgraded to a superefficient gas furnace. There are a lot of other factors to consider though but I think over the long haul gas will be cheaper. My understanding is that we have more plentiful natural gas supplies than oil. Also get a super efficient furnace and your bills will be even cheaper.

Now I think you can also get a tax rebate and a rebate from Con Ed of the furnace is over 95% efficient.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:52 AM

1,316 posts, read 4,914,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrekker View Post
Now I think you can also get a tax rebate and a rebate from Con Ed of the furnace is over 95% efficient.
With oil you can get tax rebates for using "green" eco-friendly oil. We get some kind of blend of oil and get a tax rebate for it. You also get a rebate for having an efficient boiler.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:09 PM

60 posts, read 284,707 times
Natural gas is definitely cheaper than oil and in the long run is less suspectible to price spikes caused by speculators and wars.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:49 PM

35 posts, read 112,514 times
A 2nd plus to cooking with gas vs. electric is the ability to control the heat is much better with gas. Not too many pro chefs using electric stoves. If you are into cooking then go with gas for the stove.

Gas or oil, vs. electric heat, both should be cheaper than electric unless there's a great all electric house discount plan. If you go with gas then make sure that the gas mains are sized to handle a tankless gas water heater even if not installing one. They take extra gas flow vs. tank type, but use gas only when needed.

Installing forced air vs. radiators would be a huge cost, but helps with central air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County