U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2009, 09:11 AM

12,270 posts, read 10,738,855 times

Advertisements

I just did my post-Thanksgiving grocery shopping and my wallet took a beating. In less than two weeks the price of milk has gone from $2.69 a gallon to $3.49 a gallon.

And it's not just dairy products. Every fruit and vegetable we buy was up, our favorite bagels went from $1.69 to $2.19, and the cereal aisle I gave up on.

I tried a couple stores in the area and all prices are up...anyone else notice the same thing? NY's getting real expensive.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 11:24 AM

17,932 posts, read 22,339,208 times
The price of dairy fluctuates wildly based on supply. It has been abnormally cheap for the last while because there was a huge surplus. The cost of fruits and veg fluctuate based on energy costs since most of them are shipped from centrally located growing areas like California and south of the border.

In other words, it is not a 'New York' thing.

As far as bagels, buy them from a bagel shop. :-)

ABQConvict

Old 12-02-2009, 04:30 PM

After 30 years of shoppings for my family I can confirm that prices do fluctuate, but an 80 cent rise in the price of a gallon of milk in one week? I haven't seen that before (imagine the complaints if it was a gallon of gasoline). And while I'm fairly conversant with the ideas of supply and demand, a nearly 40% increase in my shopping bill in the space of a week is extraordinary.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:12 PM

17,932 posts, read 22,339,208 times
I agree that is a convergence of a lot of price increases. My only point is that it is not a local phenomenon. Unfortunately, there is not a whole lot we can do about it.

ABQConvict

Old 12-02-2009, 06:40 PM

48 posts, read 147,451 times
get your milk at BJ's. It sells htere for 2.20 a gallon. Before that I was geting my milk at CVS for 2.69 a gallon.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:33 AM

2,568 posts, read 6,451,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cortlandtmanorresident View Post
get your milk at BJ's. It sells htere for 2.20 a gallon. Before that I was geting my milk at CVS for 2.69 a gallon.
Or, for an alternative shopping experience, head to the Scott's Corners Market serving Pound Ridge, New Canaan and upper Stamford. Catering to an apparently price-insensitive local clientele and NYC weekenders, you'll pay $3.99 for a gallon as of a week ago. It's probably more now. If you're lucky you may also be treated to the sight of a grizzled guy that looks like a homeless bum, drives some kind of Ferarri and buys hundreds of dollars worth of fresh seafood at a time. I gotta figure out who he is!

Old 12-03-2009, 02:45 PM

$2.69 a gallon at Stop and Shop today. I asked one of the managers what was going on, and he explained the price of milk was set by the supplier, a company now being investigated by Chuck Schumer and the DOJ. Senator Charles E. Schumer

For the rest of my food bill I'm just going to shop a lot at Costco and BJ's.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:53 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,291,066 times
It's too bad that there isn't a Walmart Supercenter near you, Dockside. When I go there, I notice a definite difference in the price of certain items. Just 2 examples: at the regular supermarket, I'm usually paying around $1.78 for a half gallon of milk. At Walmart, it was $1.48. Bananas at the supermarket are .79/pound; at Walmart, they're .49/pound (I think the week before Thanksgiving they were .39/pound!).

Is there a Shoprite store near you? Their prices usually aren't too bad.

Cereal I will only buy when it's on sale. I refuse to spend $3.49 or more for a box of cereal. As for the price of milk, I remember seeing a story on the tv news that too long ago (CBS, I think) where customers were being overcharged on milk; I just can't remember if it was in NYC or Westchester. Apparently, there is a limit to what supermarkets can charge for milk by law. I would contact the Westchester County office of Consumer Affairs and tell them your experience with rising milk prices and ask them about price limits on milk in Westchester.

Last edited by manyroads; 12-09-2009 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: to add info about milk prices

Old 12-09-2009, 04:46 PM

10,763 posts, read 17,387,126 times
Actually, the Wal-Mart in White Plains usually has milk under $3/gallon. One time a couple of months ago I even saw it for $2.19! It's a special 2-floor "urban" Wal-Mart (the only one of it's kind in metro NY I think) and while they do not have the grocery section of a "Supercenter" (I've seen one visiting relatives in northeast PA, amazing place!) it is a lot more than most standard Wal-Marts (go to the ones in Rockland or Cortlandt Manor and you'll see what I mean).

Another store to look at is National Wholesale Liquidators near Cross County Mall in Yonkers. For several months they had Farmland Dairies milk for $1.99/gallon and they are still $2.29.

It varies a lot by store and whether they're having a sale. I've seen convenience stores even charge over $4/gallon for milk recently......

Old 12-12-2009, 08:48 PM

2,017 posts, read 4,114,694 times
yeah food prices have been on the rise, I don't drink milk so i'm spared the agony

I've seen local convenience stores charge as high as $4 and 5 as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County